Rangers FC tax tribunal set to run to January

at the end of the day , this is her majestys revenue and customs . unless we are 100% innocent , and it doesnt look like it . we should pay our dues !

Couldnt disagree more.

Any good corporation, or individual for that matter, should look to minimise their tax liability to the fullest extent possible, within the confines of the law.

And to suggest we are not 100% innocent is conjecture unless you know about the case. Tax legislation has always worked in shades of grey, which means that there is every likelihood that nobody is "100% innocent". That doesnt, however, mean that they should roll over and let HMRC tickle our belly.

The answer to that one is no Dutchy. The penalties are assessed based on the liability, not the time that the liability has remained outstanding.

The interest could possibly continue to be clocked up - but there would, I believe, be good reason to contest those if any delay is that of HMRC.

Thanks Craig that is what I thought and it would be crazy if someone could make more money by keeping delaying things.

The headlines on NewsNow were to be expected. Doom, gloom and administration lingers ... even they must get tired of repeating this garbage. Especially when this was to be expected anyways.

Of course, they also happily report on our transfer targets and trialists taken onboard ... you would think the editors of the respective articles never talk to one another ...

If you are in criminal court praying for a not guilty, the longer the jury is out the better it looks for a “not guilty”

Now, i know that does not necessarily mean that is true in cases like this, but for me personally, it’s a good sign because if it was clear cut that we owe the money and “that is the end of it...PAY US” then that would have happened already.

The headlines on NewsNow were to be expected. Doom, gloom and administration lingers ... even they must get tired of repeating this garbage. Especially when this was to be expected anyways.

Of course, they also happily report on our transfer targets and trialists taken onboard ... you would think the editors of the respective articles never talk to one another ...

Maybe I am missing something in translation.... but Newsnow doesnt actually report, it merely collects articles with certain keywords and publishes them. There is little, if any, editorial control in Newsnow.

If you are in criminal court praying for a not guilty, the longer the jury is out the better it looks for a “not guilty”

Now, i know that does not necessarily mean that is true in cases like this, but for me personally, it’s a good sign because if it was clear cut that we owe the money and “that is the end of it...PAY US” then that would have happened already.

Whilst I hope you are right quite often tax cases will take longer than normal because it requires the tax judges to determine a finding based on legislation which is open to interpretation.

Hope you are right though :D

Whilst I hope you are right quite often tax cases will take longer than normal because it requires the tax judges to determine a finding based on legislation which is open to interpretation.

'Tax Judges'.

Do they sit on tax cases only?

How do they get their position?

Are there Scottish judges for cases in Scotland, or are they drawn from a UK pool?

Do we know who the judges are on individual cases?

Maybe I am missing something in translation.... but Newsnow doesnt actually report, it merely collects articles with certain keywords and publishes them. There is little, if any, editorial control in Newsnow.

"They" referred to the press and media articles listed on NewsNow. I know what NewsNow is ;-), but it was late last night and I couldn't be asked to cited every paper or media source mentioned by that nexus.

Craig, i have zero clue about tax cases, i thought i’d throw that scenario into the mix for people to chew on even though most will know that anyway. The longer we get to sit and talk to the tax men and lawyers the better, even though me, you and ever other Bear would like it finished today.

Craig, i have zero clue about tax cases, i thought i’d throw that scenario into the mix for people to chew on even though most will know that anyway. The longer we get to sit and talk to the tax men and lawyers the better, even though me, you and ever other Bear would like it finished today.

Tend to agree Bears if the judge wants more time or evidence it must mean its a close call and not the outright win for the tax man that the media are claiming.