Statement on Whyte by the club

So why wasn't there a fire sale after Kaunas? Only one player left - Cuellar - and that was because of that clause in his contract. Didn't Lloyds own us at that point as well?

Thinking about your good question further, Kaunus and the spending took place in Jul/Aug 2008 and the bank moved into the club in early 2009, as far as I'm aware. It could be that the net spending of the players was what pushed the bank over the edge which resulted in them sending their people into the club and the subsequent appointment of Donald Muir.

The suggestion that all these players would have left was brought by the same people that said we would have £15m (or even £5m) to spend on players.

It's unclear what would have actually happened.

I do agree that Whyte seems the better option at this point, but it'll be interesting to reassess this come 31st Jan.

The fact remains that we had bids for Cuellar, Juhasz, Goodwillie and Verhoek running essentially at the same time. Do you expect that had they all/partially come off, Whyte would have said: "Look folks, these bids were something we did to bluff the Rangers support and Scottish public into believing that I have the money to spare, but I actually haven't, so keep your players, please!"

As for trying to hide, well, it is easy to say somesuch now. Might have been a genuine error and those who actually did the dealings are just being castigated. The will to see something even remotely vile in Whyte is quite tangible. Which is not to say that one shall join Whyte's cohorts blindly either, BTW.

Cuellar left to finance the purchases of Mendes, Davis and Edu.

Well, he didn't exactly leave for our benefit - he left because he was told that in order to play for Spain, he'd have to play in England or Spain. And Villa came calling, he saw the chance, and the rest is history.

The fact that we benefited financially was not his motivation.

If your embarrassed about something from your past most people would keep it quite I would think, but he should've know with the high profile job he was about to start doing that it would all eventually come out.

That is all well and good Allan, but in this instance there is a requirement to inform the markets of his disqualification. You cant be non-compliant with market rules just to hide your prior embarrassment.

"

I'm sure he's a very nice man, I just don't trust him as Rangers owner.

That's complete speculation and you know it. We were 'owned' for how long by Lloyds? 3 or 4 years? They all remained with us during that time - no bids were ever really received for any of them. So what grounds do you base them suddenly departing when they hadn't previously done so?

No CL money

Well, he didn't exactly leave for our benefit - he left because he was told that in order to play for Spain, he'd have to play in England or Spain. And Villa came calling, he saw the chance, and the rest is history.

The fact that we benefited financially was not his motivation.

I believe that he did leave for our benefit. The club were telling people that he didn't have an escape clause in his contract, we get knocked out the CL with no midfield and suddenly one appears.

I believe that we asked him to leave, and the fact that he did resulted in us winning the league. If he hadn't, there'd be no 3IAR.

You've ignored my comment about Kaunas.

BD answered that better than me because I wasn't sure when the bank moved in but after Kaunas we sold one of our biggest assets and I know he had a clause and he wanted to play for Spain, well the Spain bit never came to much.

Can you hand on heart really believe the spine of our team today would be intact if the bank was still calling the shots.