NOVO - I’d rather face Celts than Jose

Just as a further example, some Liverpool players were trying to get Enrique to take out British citizenship so he could play for England. He turned it down flat, but it would have driven a coach and horses through the gentleman's agreement. That's the only way Novo could have played for us. Personally I think there has to be some bloodline; good as Phil Bardsley is, I think qualifying just because your father was born in Glasgow during a temporary stay is stretching things a bit.

Just as a further example, some Liverpool players were trying to get Enrique to take out British citizenship so he could play for England. He turned it down flat, but it would have driven a coach and horses through the gentleman's agreement. That's the only way Novo could have played for us. Personally I think there has to be some bloodline; good as Phil Bardsley is, I think qualifying just because your father was born in Glasgow during a temporary stay is stretching things a bit.

Aye, Bardsley is pushing it. At least Novo lived in Scotland for almost 10 years. That's what started the whole Novo playing for Scotland debate; the fact that he became eligible for a British Passport. It's history now though....

Edited by Zappa
TYPO

Nigel Spackman didn't get to play for Scotland and thus pass as a Scot playing for Rangers in European football, from what I can vaguely remember, so even the grandparent rule is a change from the origianl gentlemans agreement?

Things always change and if any player meets the criteria, they are Scottish, even though I don't think much of all the non-Scots playing for the Scottish rugby team, football will have to change also.

It has already, but not in this "gentlemans" country. Then again, they usually own the country, so they think what they think is best.

I feel Craig Levein is pushing the boundaries with the grandparent rules, the boy from Liverpool Sebestian Coates has a Scottish father I think could have played for us and my word we need a central defender. Jordan Rhodes has no Scottish blood bar the schooling rule so technically he is a foreigner in our team. However he is interested in playing for Scotland wore Scotland shirts I believe. Some of the others who turned us down and have come back to us is not really what you want.

Any nation bar us 4 home nations who have a lot of power seem to stick by principles. Spain had Marcos Senna, Poland had Roger Guerreiro. Japan has had a couple of Brazilian naturalised etc.

I think the rule is 1900 days with a work permit in the country or 1900 days residency or something along those lines.

Either way if you have lived & worked in a country for that amount of time I don't see why it would be an issue, it's not as if the national team would suddenly be full of foreigners.

I don't know how the rest of the world works it fro sure, but here in Scotland I'm sure the 5 years are to be in full time education.

That was the last I heard of it when the guy that pleayed for Hearts wanted to play for us. He was refused, and on appeal he got his wish. I've not heard anything about it changing since then?

I think the rule is 1900 days with a work permit in the country or 1900 days residency or something along those lines.

Either way if you have lived & worked in a country for that amount of time I don't see why it would be an issue, it's not as if the national team would suddenly be full of foreigners.

When you look at the number of second rate foreigners who play for the two best clubs in Scotland, our team could easily be filled with foreigners.

How many of those would fit the criteria though?

Not so many at the moment as we're going for cheap options in lesser countries for established internationals. However, looking back, and with a bit of licence what happened compared to "what if" (when it comes to a few appearances that may not have happened), there are loads.

Examples are the likes of Novo, Amoruso, Porrini, Ricksen, Klos, Albertz, Mols, Cuellar, Schnelders, Spackman, Rod Wallace, Hemdani, Kontermann, Huistra, Aathe, Alan Thomson Di Canio, Alan Stubbs, Stéphane Mahé etc

Most of those didn't play much for their home countries had things been different as well as the rules and motivations (and if they weren't picked at all for their home countries), they may have been persuaded to play for Scotland.

Can I put a disclaimer against the Celtic players - it's all I could think of and agree they don't look great, but compared to Scottish players from the rest of the SPL at the time, you can't really knock them, even if they were in crap compared the the Rangers players... (of course... but really, look at the names and decide... ;))