Got a tweet from Hemmings............

It pissed me off. I replied that since Dick A left we have been hearing the same thing. Itâ??s time to entertain!!

Can I ask if you REALLY have any affection for the DA era?

My last direct impressions of DA were two seasons where we finished miles behind Celtic, playing poor football, and had an £80M debt to boot (not counting the possible tax bill).

May last indirect impressions of DA are 10 years of money problems and the threat of a tax case which could put us in administration.

Perhaps you want us to emulated that era by somehow borrowing say £200M (the modern equivalent) and creating a team in the same ball park as a top Premiership side. I'd bet we'd then play a better class of football.

I think it's fair argument that the type of football we've played in the last 10 years has been directly impacted by the Little General - but despite that, it's been far more effective in the last five years than his 2 from 4 record.

People have to realise we are where we are, and that the DA era was all things considered, most probably the most damaging in our history. Remember we are where we are with a huge part of the cause coming from that time.

You could argue it wasn't his fault as he didn't authorise the spending, but you can't do that and then give him huge credit for how his team played due to spending that money.

But in hindsight, I don't see where he deserves ANY credit when he couldn't hold the dressing room after the first two seasons and our football was immensely poor for two seasons considering the investment in the squad.

I really can't imagine how anyone can negatively compare any era to one which was less successful and yet was basically stealing money from the budgets of the next 10 years and more.

It's a bit like saying how much betting the food tasted when you were spending loads by re-mortgaging your house and maxing out your credit cards, and how crap it's been since you had to start paying it all back.

Next we'll be hearing about how much better it all was under Labour - the Tories and Libs may be shit but you can hardly compare the the two eras...

DA had nothing to do with the debt. Murry did. All DA did was ask if he could get money to buy a player, it was up to SDM to say yes or no.

Yes, I've already pointed that out in my previous post.

However, it doesn't change the fact that DA's team cost far more than we can afford. How is it fair to unfavourably compare any Rangers team in history to one that was totally unaffordable and almost bankrupted the club?

Looking at it in that light, in my opinion, Advocaat's team was relatively the worst in Rangers history and comparisons against teams that have in reality SUFFERED due to the spending for that team is makes no sense to me at all.

I agree that the type of football being played is subjective but you only have to compare the points difference of 15 and 18 points for Advocaat's last two seasons to remember his teams were not that great. I would be surprised if many Rangers fans wanted that again...

(Before you bring up that Eck took over in his last season, the league was already well and truly lost before he took over.)

So here we have complaints that our current team are not as good as one that cost something like £200M more in today's money, caused 10 years worth of money problems and almost bankrupted us twice - and ironically, they were incredibly poor in two out of four seasons...

Just what is your REAL beef with Ally who in contrast is leading the title race by four points on a shoestring budget and one of the smallest squads in modern history?

All I can say, with those very blinkered standards, you will probably never be happy watching Rangers again - unless something truly momentous happens.

For me, I think our current players deserve a bit more respect than to be harried by the ghosts of an unaffordable era.

DA had nothing to do with the debt. Murry did. All DA did was ask if he could get money to buy a player, it was up to SDM to say yes or no.

They were jointly responsible. Advocaat must have persuaded Murray that spending all that money on transfers would be worthwhile otherwise Murray wouldn't have allowed it. They were jointly responsible for chasing a dream and playing a dangerous game of speculating to accumulate. Unfortunately Dick didn't deliver the goods on the European front which is what was required to recoup some of the overspending.

Football isn't about money, it's about football. Wee dick gave us mols, numan, gvb, amato. I loved watching those guys. He also gave us some trophies. Don't matter what manager or how much money you spend you're not going to win everything every year, but I look back at tge DA era fondly.

Football isn't about money, it's about football. Wee dick gave us mols, numan, gvb, amato. I loved watching those guys. He also gave us some trophies. Don't matter what manager or how much money you spend you're not going to win everything every year, but I look back at tge DA era fondly.

Being a football fan doesn't really allow for logic does it. I understand the point that we should be pissed at Murray/Advocaat for sticking us in the shit now, but I look back really fondly on that period and on wee Dick (for the most part.

I think we all look back really fondly at seeing all those cracking players play for us, but for me at least, the overspending left a bad taste in the mouth. There was some poor decision making in the transfer market that fueled it too with cracking players being punted for nothing or next to nothing when they were worth good money. Sell for peanuts and spend big was the order of the day.