McCOIST would like to sign Spaniard if he made available by Valladolid

More...

By Andrew Dickson

ALLY McCOIST admits he would be interested in signing Spanish striker Javi Guerra if the chance to bring him to Rangers arose.

The Ibrox manager was credited with an interest in the 29-year-old in newspaper report this morning after he scored 34 goals in just 55 appearances for Real Valladolid.

Now rated at £2million, Guerra has previously turned out for Cadiz, Real Mallorca and Valencia.

He also hit a hat-trick at the weekend in a 4-1 win over Sabadell, a result which keeps them in the hunt for the Segunda Division title.

McCoist, conscious the player is currently under contract at another club, was reluctant to say too much about Guerra.

But he has watched him play and told Blues News he would be keen on the forward if he were to become available.

McCoist said: "I don't like discussing other team's players but he's very good. We've been watching a lot of games

"Valladolid are going well in the second tier in Spanish football just now and he has been battering in all sorts of goals.

"He is someone else's player and it wouldn't be fair of me to say much more than that but he is a top player.

Asked if he would be interested in signing the player if the chance to sign him came up, McCoist added: "Quite possibly. He is a very good player and if the opportunity arose, yes."

Edited by Zappa

I can't see anything coming from this at all. It looks like a setup to me. Traynor gets the breaking news to print in the paper this morning, Ally gets interviewed by Blues News who ask him about the breaking news regarding Guerra.... yada yada yada. They must think we were all born yesterday. "look, we're actually doing something during this transfer window"... "well, we're not really, but we want you to think we're busy looking at players". Okay Doky then! :tu:

Having said that, he DOES look like a good player and striker, so I'd love to be wrong about this whole thing being a load of rubbish.

Regarding the guy's age - Wee Nacho turns 33 in March and this guy's only 29.

I think if all we have this window is £2M then that's beyond dire.

That we're wondering where that amount would come from is utterly, utterly depressing.

We're no financially better off than we were under Lloyds, bar not being in debt to a bank.

Looks a decent player with goals "through the middle" and at close range, and a very sweet turn from the throw in.

BUT this is second division stuff, is that the best we can do, probably YES, if at all.

Most likely would score goals against SPL outfits but in Europe?

(No jokes about Spain being in Europe please!)