1972. Greatest Ever 'Gers team in living memory...

I suspect there are two players in the '72 team that would be identified as weaker than there '92/'93 counterparts.

Peter(the Big Gas Meter)McLoy had a number of attributes. He took as opposed to punch anything in the air. He had excellent reactions, particularly to close range attempts. He could kick a football the length of any pitch. Longevity was his biggest, all challengers over a 15 year period came and went. In saying this, his several inch smaller '92/'93 counterpart, Andy Goram filled the goal with a far bigger presence. The Goalie would get my vote.

The other player would be solid, dependable left back, Wullie Wan Fit(couldnae kick doors at Hallowean)Mathieson. Even the most ardent Fifers would have a hard time presenting Mathieson's case over Davie Robertson. Like McLoy, Wullie saw them come, and he seen them off over a period of a decade. However, Alfie Conn in particular would have loved the angles presented by Robertson's constant supportive runs.

My other pick from '92/'93 would have been Gough. Ronnie McKinnon was a superb football playing centre half. He wasn't quite six foot but again sustained his place as both Rangers and Scotland's first choice for a decade. He broke his leg in the second leg of the Sporting Lisbon tie. Big DJ took over, but I am one of those many Bears that DJ should have stuck to the centre forward position. Everyone knows his remarkable record, 230-odd goals in a career that saw him play a third of his career in the back four. Folks forget, he played an entire season in midfield too. He thought he was a better centre half than he really was, I am convinced Dave Smith's excellent sweeping abilities was the rock for DJ's perception. I would have Gough in front of either Ronnie or DJ.

There may be an argument for Trevor Steven, a truly wonderful footballer. If he had sustained a more regular presence on the right of midfield, I might have given him the nod over Calimero

Can I introduce the team from the early sixties, which to my mind was every bit as good as the 2 teams being discussed.

I would say without hesitation Caldow, Baxter and Henderson would be in a combined team.

I always find it difficult picking a team from different eras, because of the formations.

I have to say the it's very intriguing that not one mention has been made of our 2008 squad who made the final of the Uefa Cup. Not even a mention, never mind a claim that they're the best side in our history.

I think we can probably agree that team was a long way off being one of our most illustrious teams, despite it having Cuellar and Hutton - but I find it curious that a final we lauded at the time for reaching, when our fans went mental over getting to that final...is barely even mentioned these days.

At the time while I was delighted we got there, it didn't come close to the experience of 93 for me.

I have to say the it's very intriguing that not one mention has been made of our 2008 squad who made the final of the Uefa Cup. Not even a mention, never mind a claim that they're the best side in our history.

It was great but we were outplayed in many games and had a large degree of luck along the way. It obviously wasn't a classic side. In 92/93, we could have given anyone in Europe a game and I was confident we had the team to beat Milan in the final if we had got there.

It was great but we were outplayed in many games and had a large degree of luck along the way. It obviously wasn't a classic side. In 92/93, we could have given anyone in Europe a game and I was confident we had the team to beat Milan in the final if we had got there.

Slightly blue-tinted specs there - Marseille destroyed us at Ibrox until McSwegan's wonder header 20 minutes from the end. Then the tide astonishingly turned and we equalised. We didn't come close to giving them a game, we just managed to avoid being completely hammered. Then somehow scraped a draw at the end. It wasn't much different at the Vellodrome tbh.

Marseille were far too good for everyone in Europe - whether we could have beaten Milan we will never know. But we couldn't beat Marseille. And neither could anyone else. Domestic match fixing aside.

Only one player from that team who could've walked into any of the teams mentioned, but I'm not saying his name because when you do the thread goes off on one.

Not at that stage of his career though. Earlier yes, but by that point he was not the player he was at his peak. Quite some way off it. Last time he gave a world class display in Europe was probably the Porto match at Ibrox in 2005.

There may be an argument for Trevor Steven, a truly wonderful footballer. If he had sustained a more regular presence on the right of midfield, I might have given him the nod over Calimero

Steven is one of the most under rated players in Rangers' history.