1972. Greatest Ever 'Gers team in living memory...

Greatest Rangers team EVER in Europe?

The Bayern XI we swept aside that night was full of quality.

When Rangers humped them at Ibrox 2-0 (see link) and progressed to the final then ultimately collect their first European trophy. What ever happened to that quality German side sent home well and truly shagged?

Well.......

2 mths later SIX players from that team went and won EURO 1972 with W. Germany.

2 years on (1974) Bayern won the European Cup, NINE of the 'beaten' played in the Final.

2 months after that, W. Germany took care of Holland 2-1 to win the World Cup. Six of that side played, the same six who won EURO 1972.

The next season (1975) Bayern retained the European Cup, With SEVEN from the afore mentioned Ibrox game

1976. Three in a row - Again with 7 players from that 2-0 drubbing.

Here's the game....'Bud' even finds time to sit on the ball during it all, and the 'Gers fans sang 'Go Home Ya Huns' Timmy hi-jacked other club fans chant YET AGAIN!! - couldn't make it up, memories are made of this. :whistling:

http://youtu.be/Pd90vE8kJHk

I attended all four home legs against Rennes, Sporting Lisbon, Torino, and Bayern. I was fortunate to attend Bayern away and the final in Barcelona. My old man was far more optimistic than I ever was on the chances of that team winn ing the cup. I was imbued with schoolboy cynicism, my old man did NOT believe there could be a repeat of '61 or '67.

I think what folks forget and I was guilty of this too, until a couple of years past. There was a lot of football in that Rangers team. Sandy Jardine, Dave Smith, DJ/McKinnon, Tommy McLean, Alfie Conn, wee Doddy, and Bud could all play.

I can't really comment on the 72 team as I wasn't around back then, but I know we beat some massive sides to win that cup. It's been said we had a harder time winning that cup than timmy did winning in 67.

But in my lifetime the best Rangers side was of course the one Bluedell refers to in 92/93.

It was one match/a few goals away from making the CL final.

I can't really comment on the 72 team as I wasn't around back then, but I know we beat some massive sides to win that cup. It's been said we had a harder time winning that cup than timmy did winning in 67.

But in my lifetime the best Rangers side was of course the one Bluedell refers to in 92/93.

It was one match/a few goals away from making the CL final.

Our ECWC run in '67 was harder than their EC run.

Aside from Glentoran, we had Borussia Dortmund in the second round. Borussia were the cup holders having defeated Liverpool in the final at Hampden five months previously. We won 2-1 at Ibrox, played them off the park, they scored a very dodgy goal that included a clear foul and a player running off the field then coming back on. Real Zaragoza in the quarters were a tough nut, Slavia Sofia in the semis was a war. Of course, Bayern in the final in Nuremburg became a comedy of errors because of defeat in the Scottish Cup at the hands of the mighty Berwick.

Sellik faced nothing until they matched Inter Milan's reserve team in Lisbon.

Rangers in 1972 were an enigma. We just couldn't get going domestically and yet beat some of the best teams in Europe. To go from beating Torino (top of Serie A at the time) and then losing to Morton at home 3 days later and drawing with Clyde 3 days after drawing with Bayern away is inexplicable to say the least.

Not the greatest Rangers team ever but the only one to win a European trophy - and for that they deserve the greatest respect,