Sir David Murray makes appearance at training ground

SIR David Murray made a surprise return to his old club Rangers yesterday.

The former owner's visit to Murray Park came as Ally McCoist's bargain-basement January recruitment drive was descending into farce.

Zlatan Muslimovic

The 60-year-old appeared at the training complex for what senior sources insist was a scheduled appointment with the club doctor.

But Record Sport can also reveal Murray spent more than an hour with McCoist, who was left reeling by the latest double blow to his transfer plans.

Bosnia striker Zlatan Muslimovic failed to report back to the Auchenhowie base for the second day of what was supposed to be a week-long trial.

Instead, the 30-year-old packed his bags after just one training session and headed for Wearside in a bid to win a place in Martin O'Neill's Sunderland squad.

And in a further bizarre twist, bewildered full-back Enar Jaager fled back to Estonia fearing his dreams of a deal are dead - even though he was expected to play in a closed-door bounce game against Carlisle.

Instead, it was Murray who turned up while Jaager jetted out of Glasgow without a contract offer, despite McCoist confirming publicly he wants the free agent signed up for at least the rest of the season.

The Ibrox boss had hoped to run the rule over both Jaager and Muslimovic in yesterday's 2-1 win over the English minnows.

However, only two trialists - Honduran Jorge Claros and Dutch hopeful Luigi Bruins - made the starting line-up with ex-chairman Murray watching the action from the balcony of McCoist's office.

Director of Football Gordon Smith also saw the game and confirmed Muslimovic will not be back and that Jaager had failed to show up.

Smith said: "Muslimovic left yesterday after one training session.

"He could be at Sunderland but I don't know for sure. All I know is he had a talk with Ally and was told we had set up a trial game for him.

"He made it clear he didn't want to play and said he had other options. We were not going to do anything without watching him in action.

"I watched the game and I thought Jaager was meant to be playing. But he wasn't there and I don't know where he's gone. You'd better ask Ally about that."

Jaager arrived at Murray Park nine days ago for a trial as McCoist looked for a replacement for crocked star Steven Whittaker.

The Estonian right-back made an instant impact and McCoist spoke openly last Friday about signing the defender.

He said: "We've been really impressed. Jaager is a solid full-back and we'll certainly be looking to make him an offer."

And after yesterday's bounce game McCoist reiterated his desire to seal a deal for the 27-year-old.

He said: "Enar is back in Estonia and we're hopeful we can put a package together and make him an offer."

But Jaager has been left in limbo and insists he doesn't know whether he has a future at Ibrox or not.

Jaager told Record Sport last night: "I am back in Estonia and don't know what is happening.

"I am a bit sad there is no agreement yet but there is nothing I can do now.

"I enjoyed my spell in Glasgow and it was pleasing the coach liked me.

"The trial went well and I feel I have done my part. But it is not my place to discuss what the future decision may be.

"I haven't heard anything and all I can do is wait and see if they are going to make an offer.

"But I cannot wait around forever. I don't have a contract with anyone at the moment and I need to try to get something sorted out.

"There is nothing more I can do with Rangers. It's up to them now and let's just see what works out."

Muslimovic, though, has now vanished completely off Rangers' radar after darting across the border yesterday morning to begin a trial at the Stadium of Light.

His agent Jan Bezemer said last night: "Zlatan trained at Rangers yesterday. Everything was nice and we were interested.

"But an offer came to train at another club. Zlatan trained at Sunderland today and we will now see how that works out.

"Zlatan had a very good feeling about Rangers. They are a nice club, the trainer was a good man and he spoke very well.

"Rangers want him but we have lots of interest. He would like to play in a good league. The leagues in Scotland and England fall into that category."

Meanwhile, Rangers have targeted South Africa defender Siboniso Gaxa, according to his agent.

The right-back, who plays for Belgian club Lierse, is said to be in McCoist's sights if a deal for Jaagar fails to materialise.

The 27-year-old's agent Rob Moore said: "Gaxa is in the frame for that move. If they don't sign Jaager then he is their next target."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/01/25/rangers-transfer-deals-descend-into-farce-as-sir-david-murray-makes-appearance-at-training-ground-86908-23718874/

Of a bigger concern is what does Gordon Smith do and doesn't he speak with McCoist?

Smith said: "Muslimovic left yesterday after one training session.

"He could be at Sunderland but I don't know for sure. All I know is he had a talk with Ally and was told we had set up a trial game for him.

"He made it clear he didn't want to play and said he had other options. We were not going to do anything without watching him in action.

"I watched the game and I thought Jaager was meant to be playing. But he wasn't there and I don't know where he's gone. You'd better ask Ally about that."

:sad:

You'd always have to keep in mind that the reporter tells this story from his point of view, using the quotes of people as they see fit.

Sometimes you wish that the info-trail wasn't as quick and hasted as it seems these days, for as nice as it is, quite a bit of hearsay/assumption/rubbish transfers into these articles for no better reason than being the first with these news.

(On a sidenote, one hates to see that some of the gloom-mongers of the press on Monday looked into the correct crystal balls regarding the Jaager deal. This lot will sure dance a jig about every bad news they predicted correctly ... )

You wonder what Murray told McCoist though. Some insights about and reason for Whyte's dealings so far?

Edited by der Berliner

NB: It could, of course, well be that the doc at Murray Park is SDMs favored chap and he visited the ground to actually take in a game too, and visiting an "old friend or two". Nothing deeper involved and probably as likely as any scaremongering in the press or on the boards.