Alastair Johnstone 31/01/2012

where we differ is why he feels the need to come out at every chance to stick the knife without saying how he would have done it different. All we get is the bank would still be there so it would be fine.

It does not look to me as if AJ and Paul Murray are coming out at every chance to stick the knife in. It looks to me as if they're being contacted by HMRC, lawyers etc as well as the press & media and asked if they're willing to answer questions.

If one or two of them have leaked information to the media in the first place it's because they think the fans deserve to know about some of these things because they've been worried about Whyte from square one and they're possibly even more worried about him now because of things they're learning from HMRC etc.

I know that if I was in the position these guys are in where they've learned from HMRC that Whyte has mortgaged off 3 or 4 seasons worth of the fans ticket money I'd do exactly the same thing as they've done. I'd firstly cooperate with HMRC by answering their questions then I'd set about making sure that the fans get to know about what's been going on. If Whyte has done these things with the fans and clubs money and the fans have been kept in the dark about it because it's not necessarily good for the club, then the fans bloody well deserve to know about it!!

I only just listened to the AJ interview a few hours ago and I've got to say that probably about 98 or 99 percent of what he said sounded spot on to me and I'm glad he's spoken out to voice his concerns and set a few things straight for the benefit of the fans.

I know it's bad press for the club and bad press for Whyte, but the fans still deserve to know about such massive developments because these things are extremely important in their own right as well as the amount of new questions they've created, questions which the fans deserve answers to!

How does he think the bank would've reacted to no Euro money this year? A fire sale perhaps in the transfer window just ended.

Oh, the old fire sale chestnut. We were hearing about supposed fire sales long before Whyte took over because LBG were supposedly puting the squeeze on the club. As AJ explained though, the club had things under control with the bank due to considerably cutting down the debt. As he also said, he wasn't surprised that the bank decided to support, even force through the sale and run because it was LBG corporate policy to try to do so.

As I've mentioned in the past, LBG were getting seriously bad press over their tightening of Rangers purse strings and banks REALLY didn't want nationwide and international bad press at that time due to the financial crisis and all the bank bailouts etc. LBG were getting so much bad press over the issues with Rangers that they would probably have done ANYTHING to get us off their books and stop the bad press.

A lot of people seem to be failing to remember that Rangers fans (rightly or wrongly) were actively boycotting LBG and making their anger nationwide and international public knowledge at televised matches with anti-LBG protests, banners etc. If I was one of the big chiefs at LBG back then I'd have ordered senior bank staff under me to get it sorted no matter what. Getting it sorted meant getting rid of Rangers from their large corporate loan accounts.

It does not look to me as if AJ and Paul Murray are coming out at every chance to stick the knife in. It looks to me as if they're being contacted by HMRC, lawyers etc as well as the press & media and asked if they're willing to answer questions.

If one or two of them have leaked information to the media in the first place it's because they think the fans deserve to know about some of these things because they've been worried about Whyte from square one and they're possibly even more worried about him now because of things they're learning from HMRC etc.

I know that if I was in the position these guys are in where they've learned from HMRC that Whyte has mortgaged off 3 or 4 seasons worth of the fans ticket money I'd do exactly the same thing as they've done. I'd firstly cooperate with HMRC by answering their questions then I'd set about making sure that the fans get to know about what's been going on. If Whyte has done these things with the fans and clubs money and the fans have been kept in the dark about it because it's not necessarily good for the club, then the fans bloody well deserve to know about it!!

I only just listened to the AJ interview a few hours ago and I've got to say that probably about 98 or 99 percent of what he said sounded spot on to me and I'm glad he's spoken out to voice his concerns and set a few things straight for the benefit of the fans.

I know it's bad press for the club and bad press for Whyte, but the fans still deserve to know about such massive developments because these things are extremely important in their own right as well as the amount of new questions they've created, questions which the fans deserve answers to!

Oh, the old fire sale chestnut. We were hearing about supposed fire sales long before Whyte took over because LBG were supposedly puting the squeeze on the club. As AJ explained though, the club had things under control with the bank due to considerably cutting down the debt. As he also said, he wasn't surprised that the bank decided to support, even force through the sale and run because it was LBG corporate policy to try to do so.

As I've mentioned in the past, LBG were getting seriously bad press over their tightening of Rangers purse strings and banks REALLY didn't want nationwide and international bad press at that time due to the financial crisis and all the bank bailouts etc. LBG were getting so much bad press over the issues with Rangers that they would probably have done ANYTHING to get us off their books and stop the bad press.

A lot of people seem to be failing to remember that Rangers fans (rightly or wrongly) were actively boycotting LBG and making their anger nationwide and international public knowledge at televised matches with anti-LBG protests, banners etc. If I was one of the big chiefs at LBG back then I'd have ordered senior bank staff under me to get it sorted no matter what. Getting it sorted meant getting rid of Rangers from their large corporate loan accounts.

I think that this is a very fair assessment of LBG's position in particular.

You think LBG cared what 40,000 Rangers fans thought of them in the backwaters of Scotland and how do you boycott a bank that you have no contact with. Banks only care about one thing and that's their bottom line we were a speck on their horizon. I take it you think that LBG would have covered the 10mill shortfall with no Euro money or would they have told Rangers to do what Whyte did and mortage the ST or would Jela and Davis and McGregor been sold. There is no way LBG were giving Rangers anymore money so AJs arguement that we were ok with the bank falls flat on its arse.

As for every former employee coming out the woodwork when asked about Rangers if they actually told us what part they played in this mess at the same time as twisting the knife I might actually take them seriously.

The consensus seems to be if your talking for Rangers your lying these days but the pricks who got us here seem to be preaching the gospel all of a sudden. Hollywood couldn't make that shit up.

Edited by GovanAllan

As I said in the early hours, AJ sounded both concerned and credible to me and this reinforced the view I had of him from brief conversations in the concourse after AGM's prior to his becoming Chairman. Whatever he did or didn't do in that capacity, he told us last year that Whyte did not present credible evidence to the Independent Directors of either the source of his funds for the purchase or onging funding and it didn't sound to me as if he took any pleasure in saying "I told you so".

Whyte is turning us into a laughing stock, losing players to Hibs, offering 85 times capped internationalists £2,000/week and selling our star man at the deadline with no time and most likely no intention of reinvesting.

It's bordering on a fiasco and I predict it is only going to get worse.

I dont disagree with much of this BH but the type in bold doesnt necessarily hold water. I do appreciate I am selecting just one point you make but lets not forget that he is an Estonian international, not a footballing powerhouse.

I know Bermudian players that have played 85 times for their country, but that doesnt mean they are worth 2 grand a week.

As for the rest I would agree, we are looking more and more like a laughing stock. We cut Whyte some slack after some of the transfer attempts in the summer and put it down to naivety in the football business. But he has had more time now and a transfer window under his belt - there is no reason to continue to be amateurish in out transfer dealings.

So...... AJ, Murray et al were comfortable with how SDM was handling affairs at the club ? Now, I know that they have a fiduciary duty to keep board matters within the boardroom, but there isnt much to prevent them from leaking information to the press. They have chosen to stick the knife into Whyte (whether any of us like that or not it IS what they are doing) but wouldnt do so to the regime that caused it, not until the previous owner was effectively removed.

So why didnt they leak information when SDM was running the club into the ground ?

Whyte is by no means innocent in the current malaise, I would agree with that.

But AJ, Murray etc were all part of the previous regime which created this predicament. AJ says that the bank would be comfortable with 16 mill of debt (not unreasonable) but what he doesnt say is that given we got pumped out of Europe twice this year and would have made a substantial loss what LBG's position would be in that scenario - you can guarantee that AT LEAST one senior player would have been sold and possibly more. He also doesnt say what kind of plan the preious regime had in place for the tax case (neither has Whyte to be fair). AJ talking about comfort levels of the bank in terms of the debt does not answer what their PLANS were for the club.

To me, and my cynical mind, Murray & AJ are providing comments about Whyte in a negatie fashion in an attempt to change history and the fact that THEY were part of the regime that caused the current problems.

I dont wish them ill but there is much sense when some ask why Murray & AJ (both of whom seem to be reasonably wealthy men) didnt pony up the funds, or create a consortium, to purchase the club themselves. They had plenty of time to do so. So why did they not ? Why did they wait till the 11th hour before coming forward with a parting shot to the "only show in town" ? Why did they wait till the 11th hour before making their own bid ?

On both sides of this fence there seem to be more questions than answers.

And the only losers in all of this are the fans.

Serious question here,why did CW take over Rangers?

I think the optimistic answer is that he felt he could get things sorted out.

The pessimistic answer is that he felt that money could be made (somewhere....)

As to which one (or both) is the correct answer, I don't know....but I'm an optimistic person....I would like to think that he believed that he had the knowledge/skills to turn things around.

As for all the previous directors - they certainly appear more vocal about the club finances than they have ever been, even though they now have no connection with the club. They appear eager to criticise the way Whyte is going about clearing up THEIR mess, but didn't appear overly concerned when they were making the mess in the 1st place!!! To me, is shows a real lack of character - they seem unable to keep their heads down and just slink away.