Alastair Johnstone 31/01/2012

I think the optimistic answer is that he felt he could get things sorted out.

The pessimistic answer is that he felt that money could be made (somewhere....)

As to which one (or both) is the correct answer, I don't know....but I'm an optimistic person....I would like to think that he believed that he had the knowledge/skills to turn things around.

As for all the previous directors - they certainly appear more vocal about the club finances than they have ever been, even though they now have no connection with the club. They appear eager to criticise the way Whyte is going about clearing up THEIR mess, but didn't appear overly concerned when they were making the mess in the 1st place!!! To me, is shows a real lack of character - they seem unable to keep their heads down and just slink away.

That's my way of thinking,which is why all the sinister accusations being heaped on him seem a tad unfair IMO.

That's my way of thinking,which is why all the sinister accusations being heaped on him seem a tad unfair IMO.

I think Whyte knew he was gonna be in for a rough ride from day one. He has come into a helluva mess, and hopefully doing his best to sort things out. Unfortunately, while he is doing that, the fans are still wanting progression ie. spending wads of cash on players. this simply can't happen until the underlying finances are sorted out.

I think the answer to the question about Whyte could be a very complex one?

Similar questions are,

"Why do people spend a lot of money and time supporting a football team when it makes no financial sense?"

"Why do people spend time playing 'Football manager', 'Fifa 2012' or other video games when they could be doing something more constructive or spending the time making money?"

I don't know how rich Whyte is, but when you've made say, £100M, when you have that much money, what is the next challenge? Make more money (when do you stop)? Go on Dragon's Den? Buy a football club?

The latter seems reasonable to me - however, as a businessman you probably want to run it properly and you probably don't want to lose a penny of your own money if you can help it - especially due the incompetence of the previous owner. If you're a billionaire (or even half-billionaire) then it probably doesn't matter so much but if you're worth only £100M and it's all tied up in your ongoing businesses then you're probably a lot more careful.

Also, if you're talent for business is turning companies around and you then use that as your hobby - to "win the game" and beat the challenge, shouldn't you be using the skills you have to do it without cheating by throwing a load of money in?

And finally surely there are large bonus points for finding a way of indirectly making a load of money from the whole thing?

IMHO, no chairman apart from the one of Porto FC will make much money out of a football club.

IMHO, I do still believe that Craig Whyte is a Bear and has done what he had to when the chance happened by. I doubt he's in this to make money, rather for saving his club from disaster. At least a greater disaster than losing this season's title. He sure is no white knight either, so much is clear. But there were no others out there to do it ... no billionaires, nor a fanbase able to even agree on the team sheet for the substitutes' bench.

Maybe that is naiive. Then again, so is the constant doom-mongering about his background and "games".

Starting to agree with a lot you have to say Calscot not sure its a good thing. :D

Could I be turning you to the dark side? ;)

I've noticed we agree on a lot of stuff - with the exception of the religious side of things. I think that's the only aspect we've actually argued about...

Serious question here,why did CW take over Rangers?

I think the optimistic answer is that he felt he could get things sorted out.

The pessimistic answer is that he felt that money could be made (somewhere....)

Sorry if this seems like a broken record because I keep repeating this, but he said in no uncertain terms in his interview on STV in October that he saw it as a business opportunity. If you watch the interview again, you can hear the exact words from the man himself.

IMHO, no chairman apart from the one of Porto FC will make much money out of a football club.

IMHO, I do still believe that Craig Whyte is a Bear and has done what he had to when the chance happened by. I doubt he's in this to make money, rather for saving his club from disaster. At least a greater disaster than losing this season's title. He sure is no white knight either, so much is clear. But there were no others out there to do it ... no billionaires, nor a fanbase able to even agree on the team sheet for the substitutes' bench.

Maybe that is naiive. Then again, so is the constant doom-mongering about his background and "games".

Replacing The Rangers and 140 years of history and tradition with A Rangers for me constitutes the greatest danger that can befall us.

Replacing The Rangers and 140 years of history and tradition with A Rangers for me constitutes the greatest danger that can befall us.

You can thank Murray's method of wage funding for that. Who knows about Whyte, I certainly don't. But the only thing that has us on the edge of an abyss is Sir David Murray, and the fact that he ever existed as part of that 140 years history. All the good things, and all the good times, he gave us, are infinitely undermined by the fact that he has singularly led to our possible tax doom.

You can thank Murray's method of wage funding for that. Who knows about Whyte, I certainly don't. But the only thing that has us on the edge of an abyss is Sir David Murray, and the fact that he ever existed as part of that 140 years history. All the good things, and all the good times, he gave us, are infinitely undermined by the fact that he has singularly led to our possible tax doom.

The way I see it is that Murray sanctioned something that was legal with the EBT schemes because they've been used nationwide for a long time. If (and that's just an IF) they were set up wrongly for Rangers, then surely it would actually be the fault of the third party company who set them up?

Good to see you back btw! :)