Strathclyde Police threaten to cancel OF game.

COPS last night threatened to pull the plug on the next Old Firm game â?? unless Rangers settle their debt to them within DAYS.

Strathclyde Chief Constable Stephen House revealed no more games will be played at Ibrox â?? including the March 25 clash with Celtic â?? until administrators pay a £17,000 bill for policing their last match.

On another day of turmoil, detectives began poring over the club's cash records. And Gordon Smith and Ali Russell were axed from the board. The dire warning from police chief Mr House came as he revealed Rangers owe his force £50,000 â?? on top of the £17,000 from last Saturday's 1-0 defeat against Kilmarnock.

He said: "We won't police another match at Ibrox until we have had payment for the one that has just been."

Last night Stephen Smith, ex-chairman of the Rangers Supporters Trust, added: "We should be very alarmed."

Celtic legend Billy McNeill said: "It sums up the sad state of affairs at Rangers."

The cash demand has put the next two home games in jeopardy â?? the March 3 match against Hearts and the Celtic clash three weeks later.

A regular match at Ibrox costs around £17,000 to police â?? but an Old Firm game can cost up to £50,000.

The game could also be an explosive league decider with Celtic winning the league at the home of their arch-enemies. Mr House said: "Legally they can't go ahead and have the match, with us agreeing to police it, if they don't know they can pay us." He added there has never been a match at Ibrox without police.

All football teams are invoiced for policing matches and are given 28 days to pay. When Rangers went into administration last Tuesday, they owed £51,882 for three matches. The debt was frozen and cops are likely to see just a fraction of the cash. Mr House said: "It is regrettable because this is public money."

There was further drama at Ibrox as administrators Duff and Phelps handed the club's cash files to police.

And they confirmed footie director Gordon Smith and operations chief Ali Russell had now left the Gers.

Last night Celtic refused to comment.

What Rhag wrote that shit.

Don't know if you are in the know about when the police get paid after a game Gazza, but surely it isn't within 6 days smells of shit stirring to me and if they ban the Mhanks from Ibrox in March they'll only need a fraction of the numbers on duty.

It sounds like a speculative story spun to sound like fact - they've asked the police a question like, "What would happen IF Rangers don't pay the bill?"

We don't actually know whether they will or not and I'm sure the deadline is not there YET.

Guest Broxibear

It's getting to the stage now that unless I hear anything directly for the administrators I'm taking everything with a pinch of salt. There are so many different stories doing the round and so many different reporters writting for different rags all claiming exclusives, I don't know what to believe!!!

Police released a statement

Strathclyde Police statement: "there has been reporting in the press today indicating policing of future matches at Ibrox is in jeopardy the Chief Constable confirmed we are working on a match by match basis. However we have an excellent relationship with administrators and we currently do not forsee any problems policing future matches at Ibrox

Also

Strathclyde Police also refuse to comment on speculation that police have met administrators and manager Ally McCoist toda

What Rhag wrote that shit.

Don't know if you are in the know about when the police get paid after a game Gazza, but surely it isn't within 6 days smells of shit stirring to me and if they ban the Mhanks from Ibrox in March they'll only need a fraction of the numbers on duty.

Sorry GA I can't help you out there, I'm just a cop, the 2nd lowest rung on the ladder (only slightly above a probationer). Constables get told next to nothing about the politics side of things. An example of this is that the public knew before us cops that the Scottish Police Force would come into operation in April next year.

One thing is for sure, the total bill for policing an OF game would be astronomical.

Edited by Gazza_8