Brian Kennedy steps up Gers interest - Souness involved?

Scots businessman Brian Kennedy has stepped up his interest in taking control of Rangers by meeting administrators for the troubled Ibrox club.

But the multi-millionaire has told Sportsmail he is not interested in being part of any future consortium and would step aside if Paul Murrayâ??s Blue Knights group is the best option to secure the future of the SPL champions.

The Ibrox players and staff are anxiously awaiting an announcement from the administrator in relation to job losses as part of the massive cost-cutting process necessary to save the club.

And last night controversial owner Craig Whyte broke cover from his Monaco base to predict â??more painâ?? ahead for Rangers â?? on the day the PLUS stock exchange fined the club £50,000 for failing to disclose his previous disqualification as a director when he completed his takeover of the club last May.

As former Rangers director Murray puts together a consortium of businessmen, believed to involve Dave King and businessman Douglas Park, Kennedy said: â??Iâ??ve had a meeting with the administrators.

â??But they have to work out exactly what the position is before they can talk to anybody in earnest.

â??Ideally, a consortium will be put together to buy Rangers. I would not be interested in joining a consortium because itâ??s not the way I work. But that might be best for Rangers if it came off.

â??The Blue Knights seem to be a good bunch of guys and, if they can get the funding to save Rangers, then good luck to them. I am not competing with them.

â??I would stand back if they showed they were the best option for Rangers. But if they are not able to do so, then that is possibly where we might have an interest. As always, there is an â??ifâ? in there.â??

The Edinburgh-born 51-year-old, who is regularly listed in the top 200 of Britainâ??s richest men, is a friend of Graeme Souness and refused yesterday to rule out bringing the former Rangers boss back to the club.

Sportsmail understands Kennedy has already called Souness for his advice on a bid. As yet, however, he has not asked his friend to become involved in a takeover.

Asked if he might in future, he added: â??Absolutely, but Iâ??m not telling you any more on that. No comment.â??

Players are prepared to take a 25-per-cent wage cut to try to save jobs at the club â?? and administrators could announce their decision within the next 24 hours.

Those worried about the future of Rangers will not have been heartened by Whyteâ??s comments from Monaco last night.

Speaking on Sky Sports News, Whyte told fans: â??Stick with it. We are going through some changes right now. Get behind the team, get to Ibrox on Saturday. Everyone has to stick together.

â??Like every other Rangers fan, I would hope redundancies are kept to a minimum. What I will say is that there will be more pain and the administrators are acting in the best long-term interests of the club.

â??I am in regular contact with the administrators. I am working as hard as I can to help resolve the issues and ensure Rangers come out the other side of this.

â??Iâ??m not going to get into private conversations I have with the administrators.

â??They have a job to do and they are working hard to get through the many issues that have to be resolved.

â??I said a couple of weeks ago that this was the beginning of the end of the uncertainty hanging over Rangers for years now. We are still in that process and itâ??s painful.â??

When asked about the lack of clarity over missing club funds, Whyte said: â??There will be clarity from the administrators. There are no missing millions. I can assure Rangers fans that every penny has been accounted for and will be accounted for.

â??Iâ??m getting on with the job and I hope to be in Glasgow very soon.â??

I don't confess to know much about the guy. On the one hand he wouldn't be good as a clean break from those associated with the previous Board. On the other hand, he seems to want control for himself if it comes to pass and that isnt a sustainable model for us post-Murray/ post-Whyte.

I don't confess to know much about the guy. On the one hand he wouldn't be good as a clean break from those associated with the previous Board. On the other hand, he seems to want control for himself if it comes to pass and that isnt a sustainable model for us post-Murray/ post-Whyte.

But with Souness involved (i know that's a big "IF") then my guess is he'd allow him a huge say in the way things are ran>

I get a hardon any time i hear Souness's name mention with Rangers. I absolutely love the guy and he's up there with the Davie Coopers, Ally McCoist (as a player) Bill Struths and John Griegs.

I'd cut my nuts off to have Souness back at Ibrox. He'd stand up for the punters, give the Spiers et-al what for

But with Souness involved (i know that's a big "IF") then my guess is he'd allow him a huge say in the way things are ran>

I get a hardon any time i hear Souness's name mention with Rangers. I absolutely love the guy and he's up there with the Davie Coopers, Ally McCoist (as a player) Bill Struths and John Griegs.

I'd cut my nuts off to have Souness back at Ibrox. He'd stand up for the punters, give the Spiers et-al what for

Hell yeah. The media would dance to his tune or go elsewhere and Lennon would shite himself from shaking hands with him. Legend.

Well, whether it is Murray & Co. or someone like Kennedy, someone should step onto the stage and clear this mess. While a plan with a split ownership between money-men and fans is always a good option, if it takes too long to develop, we need someone to step in and "save" the club for now. In years to come, a member-ship / consortium could still take the club from the "saviour" ... they just need to get their heads together over this and have a plan. After all, as good as a membership model is, you need to get people out there and become members to make it work ... and rather soonish.

As of Whyte ... I reserve judgement* still. If he says the money "missing" is accounted for, (probably) kept away from HMRC's grasps in one or two of his companies and thus still there somewhere, the administrators will find out and tell us. There is still enough time to whip him through the village if the truth is as dire as many predict/assume.

*Why? Because I simply do not believe that he conned SDM (& Co.), Lloyds (& Co.), and Ticketus (& Co.) into this without having any money of his own.

As of Whyte ... I reserve judgement* still. If he says the money "missing" is accounted for, (probably) kept away from HMRC's grasps in one or two of his companies and thus still there somewhere, the administrators will find out and tell us. There is still enough time to whip him through the village if the truth is as dire as many predict/assume.

*Why? Because I simply do not believe that he conned SDM (& Co.), Lloyds (& Co.), and Ticketus (& Co.) into this without having any money of his own.

Money of his own? I doubt if that's in question.