Celtic manager Neil Lennon upset by cup final penalty denial

Celtic manager Neil Lennon bemoaned missed chances and an unsuccessful penalty claim in his side's Scottish Communities League Cup final defeat.

Anthony Stokes went to ground in the box as he was challenged by Killie's Michael Nelson but referee Willie Collum waved away spot-kick appeals.

The incident took place after Dieter van Tornhout headed the only goal.

"You've got to take your chances and we missed simple chances. We should've had a penalty," Lennon told BBC Scotland.

"It's a penalty and a sending off at a big moment in the game. I'm not saying we would've scored the penalty but I think the referee's got that one completely wrong."

Lennon cited missed opportunities for Gary Hooper and Stokes as he reflected on Celtic's defeat, which ended his side's hopes of completing a domestic treble.

Continue reading the main story

â??Any1 that thinks I wud dive wen I'm 1 on 1 wit d keeper needs their head checked. So disappointed but we still have so much to play forâ?

Anthony Stokes Via Twitter.

Link

"If we had got one, we might have gone on to win the game comfortably," Lennon told BBC Scotland. "We conceded a poor goal from our point of view.

"We dominated the game so Kilmarnock can count themselves pretty fortunate that they've won the game. And maybe that's down to a lot of luck on their part and poor finishing from us.

"We couldn't have played that bad. He [goalkeeper Cammy Bell] has made six or seven great saves to keep Kilmarnock in it. That happens in a cup final.

"I'm very disappointed for our players but we've got a league championship and a cup to win so we'll lift them again and go again."

Lennon also said news of a suspected heart attack for Kilmarnock midfielder Liam Kelly's father had put things "into perspective".

"My sympathies go to [Liam] and his family," added Lennon. "All my thoughts go with the family.

"It makes my pain pale into insignificance to what he's feeling."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17424226

Class Lennon,pure class ya wee bigoted twisted bastard,give Killie credit ffs,they deserved their win

Classless wank of a man, do you think he will come out and apologise to Collum for getting the pen call right.

I doubt it.

I haven't seen it I take it it was a correct decision...

They've had fewer cards than any other SPL team this season - I'm sure even a bigot like him will understand the referees have bent over backwards to avoid their intimidation and attacks from the Celtic supporting media. It would have been great if we could have cut the gap to less than 10 pts but the important thing is we now have ammunition against them next weekend.

WHERE'S YER TREBLE GONE!

If we could get out of Administration by next weekend it could be a nice weekend! :-)

I haven't seen it I take it it was a correct decision...

They've had fewer cards than any other SPL team this season - I'm sure even a bigot like him will understand the referees have bent over backwards to avoid their intimidation and attacks from the Celtic supporting media. It would have been great if we could have cut the gap to less than 10 pts but the important thing is we now have ammunition against them next weekend.

WHERE'S YER TREBLE GONE!

If we could get out of Administration by next weekend it could be a nice weekend! :-)

You had to have heard Fartson complaining he delayed his dive too long.

Guest Dutchy

They seem to think they're good enough to score against the MotM, even with a penalty. That's never a 100% certainty.

It would be interesting to see in Collum will resign as a ref after all that's been said about him by lemon. Does the bitter we tosser never learn?

It WAS a penalty but the Celtic fans I know are saying that they shouldn't have needed a penalty in the last minute of time added on.

Agreed; total lack of class by Lennon and not of the first time. "Kilmarnock can count themselves pretty fortunate that they've won the game. And maybe that's down to a lot of luck on their part and poor finishing from us. "

Kilmarnock played well and took their chance when it came. In addititon they had an outstanding goalkeeper. They won the Cup, good luck to them.

How does Lennon get away with comments like "the ref got that one completely wrong" when anyone else would be fined?

He shouldn't if he does, then we know who is running the SFA if we didn't know already.

Have sellic been in front of the fast track panel at all this season? Has Stokes when he should have been especially after the Sheep match?