Lafferty Suspended After Altercation With McCoist.

ALLY McCOIST insists there IS a way back for Kyle Lafferty at Rangers despite the player being suspended for two weeks by the club for a breach of discipline.

And the Light Blues manager has accused the striker's representative and his former agent of trying to get him a move to the English Championship behind the club's back.

Lafferty failed to join the squad on Friday for the journey through to Edinburgh for Saturday's game at Hearts despite being told to by the Light Blues manager.

That infuriated McCoist after some previous indiscretions and he felt he had no choice but to impose the punishment he has.

The Northern Ireland striker will miss the games with Celtic, Dundee United and Motherwell and given he is lacking fitness, his season is probably over now as a result.

McCoist is adamant Lafferty left him with no choice but to respond in the way he has - but maintains the rift between them can be healed.

Nevertheless, he is furious with both his player's conduct and that of those advising him behind the scenes.

McCoist told RangersTV.tv show Blues News: "There was unfortunately yet another breach of discipline from Kyle and as you can imagine, it's the absolutely last thing we needed.

"He was in the squad to travel (to Edinburgh) and we were due to leave on Friday to go through to Tynecastle.

"But there was a failure to show for the travelling party. I phoned him and left a message because I couldn't get him and I asked him to get back to me.

"He didn't do that so I felt there was no other action to take and I didn't take that action lightly.

"We have had to take the action of suspending him and he has obviously taken his medicine. He has taken advice from the PFA and I spoke to his representative.

"I also know his agent and his previous agent have been speaking to a Championship manager down south which I'm not sure is allowed.

"I think he has been winding us up the wrong way and the supporters and certainly the players deserve a lot, lot better from one of their own.

"We have a great set of boys and you don't want to disrupt them but those lads in that dressing room deserve better.

"I am really disappointed in Kyle's actions and sadly the thing is it's unfortunately not the first time."

Asked if Lafferty could work his way back into his plans, McCoist added: "Of course, absolutely.

"I obviously have a problem with him at the moment but the one thing I will never do as a manager is hold grudges.

"I appreciate people do make mistakes and nobody made more of them than me as a player.

"But you have to learn from them and I have told Kyle on numerous occasions that now is the time he has to start learning.

"We all think he is a smashing lad and we all know the talent he has got but we want to see it at this club. If it's not at this club, he's running out of time for it to be somewhere else."

In the wake of today's statement by the manager, how do we evaluate the Scottish Sun's earlier claim:

The same source also alleged that McCoist had CANCELLED two planned operations for the Northern Ireland ace, including one pencilled in for Manchester today.

... ?

Guest Bombaybadboy

What an idiot.

At a time when everyone should all be pulling in the one direction he goes awol and blanks calls from the manager.

Who is his agent?

Some media reports from late last year have it as Gerry Carlile (@AgentGerry on Twitter)... You can guess who Gerry supports I'm sure.

Not sure if he's changed agents since then.

Strange they don't have minds of their own.

No wonder it took so long to sort out the contracts.

Lafferty, Davis, Naismith and Whittaker were the ones holding things up. That was posted by RM admin and confirmed to me by two other people with contacts in the club.

Lafferty, Davis, Naismith and Whittaker were the ones holding things up. That was posted by RM admin and confirmed to me by two other people with contacts in the club.

Did naismith not come out and say different? The rest you mention stayed notably silent...