What now for McCoist?

Being a manager isnt quite as simple as it is on FM. There are many, many elements to it and it isnt as simple as "pick this guy, this guy and this guy".

I am attending a coaches course just now with Jacques Crevoisier who used to be the 1st team coach at Liverpool under Gerard Houlier and the amount of detail that actually goes into picking a team is incredible.

It isnt just about picking your best players - clubs (AC Milan he specifically mentioned) actually take blood work a couple of times a week just to assess fatigue levels in players. They use GPS systems to assess distances run by players in training.

You have egos to work with, you have to set out your team with tactics and formations to win games - yes, collectively we have better players than every other SPL team but playing 4-4-e against a team with 10 men behind the ball makes for a long day at the office regardless of who you pick.

And we all think it is easy, for the most part, thanks to hindsight. We lose or draw a game and it is "we should have played this guy or should have played this formation" - all very easy after the fact.

I notice nobody is giving any credit to McCoist for the 15 point lead we accumulated at the start of the season. I notice nobody recognising that our results plummetted as a result of a season ending injury to our most influential player, one who also appears to be very well liked within the group. I notice that very little is being mentioned of the fact that McCoist had to settle, in many instances, to his 3rd or 4th choice player..... Yet still managed to pick up some jewels like Aluko, Bocanegra and Goian.

I would say the above point to a reasonable effor, under the circumstances, of a rookie manager. Again, given the circumstances, I would suggest he deserves at least another season to prove his worth under a (hopefully) steady ship where his only concerns are football-related.

And all of this is before we consider the incredibly extenuating circumstances this season.

Craig, I thought when Ally built up that 15 point lead I said to myself 'that guys sun shines out his arse' in a funny and respectfully way of course.

Naisy's injury sure had an affect thereafter but the players must have got jist of what was coming and the form went 'oot the windae'.

If this crisis, and it's the biggest crisis to hit any club the size of Rangers had never happened, then we'd all be sipping a drink or two to Four In A Row, and Ally would be getting tossed up in the air by his loyal and trusted men looking forward to 5-in-a-row.

Just my opinion btw.

Guest cail

My personal take on his situation is i'm scared for him.

His status as a player was outstanding with his name going down in Rangers history as a hero to many a fan.

His status as Manager of the Club he and us supported as mere boys has him in the lofty heights of a pure Legend.

When i think of Ally McCoist i think of Rangers Football Club,,,,,,,It's that simple,,,,,,and yet it's that scary at the same time.

It will break my heart when he gets let go and, if we are all honest with ourselves here, it will happen and could very well have happened this past season.

The man,however,has earned another shot at glory with Rangers and outside of SWS i can think of no other Rangers man who would have had the stones to stick it out to the end of the season we have just finished and he did it with a smile and his dignity well and truly intact.

He's not the best Manager on the planet,not by a long shot,but let's stick by the man.

I'm sure he's learned so much from a disastrous season and if we have,at some point,to let him go then let him hold his head high and he can say i tried my best for the Club i love.

I'd expect no less for a Rangers Legend.

Being a manager isnt quite as simple as it is on FM. There are many, many elements to it and it isnt as simple as "pick this guy, this guy and this guy".

I am attending a coaches course just now with Jacques Crevoisier who used to be the 1st team coach at Liverpool under Gerard Houlier and the amount of detail that actually goes into picking a team is incredible.

It isnt just about picking your best players - clubs (AC Milan he specifically mentioned) actually take blood work a couple of times a week just to assess fatigue levels in players. They use GPS systems to assess distances run by players in training.

You have egos to work with, you have to set out your team with tactics and formations to win games - yes, collectively we have better players than every other SPL team but playing 4-4-e against a team with 10 men behind the ball makes for a long day at the office regardless of who you pick.

And we all think it is easy, for the most part, thanks to hindsight. We lose or draw a game and it is "we should have played this guy or should have played this formation" - all very easy after the fact.

I notice nobody is giving any credit to McCoist for the 15 point lead we accumulated at the start of the season. I notice nobody recognising that our results plummetted as a result of a season ending injury to our most influential player, one who also appears to be very well liked within the group. I notice that very little is being mentioned of the fact that McCoist had to settle, in many instances, to his 3rd or 4th choice player..... Yet still managed to pick up some jewels like Aluko, Bocanegra and Goian.

I would say the above point to a reasonable effor, under the circumstances, of a rookie manager. Again, given the circumstances, I would suggest he deserves at least another season to prove his worth under a (hopefully) steady ship where his only concerns are football-related.

And all of this is before we consider the incredibly extenuating circumstances this season.

Craig I totally agree that Ally should be given another chance i am 100% behind that but I have to say that, the loss of the 15 points was because Ally seemed to crap himself when Naismith got injured and raced into defensive mode. I believe we had 7 central defenders playing in one game. Instead of challenging high up the pitch we were retreating to the 16mtr line. I do believe Ally lost us that lead but anyone who never makes a mistake can stand up and throw the first stone. It certainly won't be me.

So, because he's a Rangers legend (as a player) we should keep hold of him as a manager. Is that what people are saying?

Sorry but I don't agree with that. There are plenty of legendary players who failed miserably at management (Not McCoist) then there's the average players who never really made it who are now legendary managers.

I'd maybe give him another season to see how he goes but what will the difference be between this season and next? You could say next season will be harder due to the transfer ban we've got.

Need to sit back and see what happens.

Craig, to be honest, all Rangers and Celtic should need to do is pick their strongest 11 or their strongest possible 11 for that game and they should win barring any piss-ups, especially at home. The players us and Celtic have are far superior to just about every other player in the SPL.

Tactics do come into it and having a manager who is a man manager is an advantage but there aren't any decent managers in the SPL the now. Well, none have made their mark yet.

Guest cail

I agree with most of your post Craig apart from the 15 point lead thing.

This 15 point myth has to stop.

We had a 15 point lead on Celtic for two hours and they still had a game in hand after that.

They had an easy game the Saturday of our taking that 15 point due to an early kick off and their game in hand was an easy game.

This 15 point lead thing has been blown into something huge by the press.

Guest @st2oh

Any criticism of Super is ridiculous.

I doubt ANY manager has had anything like what he has had to deal with in their first year...even before administration.

He has held us together these last few months - without him god only knows where we would be on player moral etc.

He was allowed only a 2nd 3rd choice squad to begin with...and with that he started very well - key injuries, player sales and then admin made the job almost impossible.

Only through Ally did we manage to gain some stability later on...eventually finishing 11 points ahead of the team most predicted we would finish behind.

A 'normal' season with decent backing I think Ally would flourish.

And if we are to go into next season with a transfer embargo would you want ANYBODY but Ally to lead a small young squad through the season...I wouldnt!

Legend.

Finishing 2nd in the SPL is the absolute lowest position we should be finishing so to finish 2nd place is no huge achievement.

But then we don't finish first more often than not, so finishing second in the most damaging off-field conditions in our history along with a 10 point penalty starts to sound pretty remarkable and definitely a pretty big achievement. How many times would we have finished better than second with a 10 point penalty. Not often, and quite often it would be less than second. Putting it that way, it's a pretty good position to finish in.

If nothing else, if you don't see it as an achievement there is no way you can logically say that it is a failure.

I'll bet anyone on here would be well pissed off if they were judged so harshly for being merely average and adequate under fantastically negative conditions.

So, because he's a Rangers legend (as a player) we should keep hold of him as a manager. Is that what people are saying?

Sorry but I don't agree with that. There are plenty of legendary players who failed miserably at management (Not McCoist) then there's the average players who never really made it who are now legendary managers.

I'd maybe give him another season to see how he goes but what will the difference be between this season and next? You could say next season will be harder due to the transfer ban we've got.

Need to sit back and see what happens.

I agree that you cant stick with a legendary player based on his performance as a player - just ask John Greig about that. I completely agree.

I also agree that he should get another season. Hopefully it will be a more stable one at the club.

You COULD say next season will be harder but that ban is not etched in stone yet - tomorrow could be a definitive day in that regard. But if he can keep the squad he has then we should still be challenging. We lost Jelavic which is a big loss but we will have Naismith back which will be a massive bonus. If we can keep Aluko that would be an added plus. Then Lafferty to come back and, to be fair, big Jig has done a stellar job up front since admin. We also have the emergence of Perry and McCabe plus Ness to come back in.

It would be a tough year, I completely agree - but we should still be challenging, albeit underdogs - but we, the fans, should also have tempered expectations IF the transfer ban is upheld.