Dave King claims he has first refusal on Whytes shares

@BBCAlLamont: DK says he has first refusal on CW's shares "at whatever price anyone offers and Whyte is willing to accept". CW denies any such agreement.

@BBCAlLamont: DK: "I would not forego this unless I was absolutely certain that any proposed transaction, that excluded me..

@BBCAlLamont: ..., was in the best interests of the club. I have yet to see such a proposal."

Charles Green, of course, says he has deal to get CW shares

@BBCAlLamont: More from DK: I believe that my presence on the board prevented Whyte from getting away with more than he even did

@BBCAlLamont: DK: CWe knowingly lied to me and blocked my ability to validate some of his contentions with the club's financial controller.

:facepalm:

@BBCAlLamont: DK: If I had resigned CW would have had carte blanche. The minorities, in my firm view, were defrauded in the initial transaction by Whyte..

@BBCAlLamont: .. and I intend to seek recourse in that regard once I have access to the Duff & Phelps investigation of the company's affairs."

@BBCAlLamont: But CW says DK comments are "highly misleading". "If the CVA is successful the minority shareholders will retain their shares in a club...

@BBCAlLamont: ... that will be a debt-free sustainable business and not the basket case I inherited as a result of mismanagement of the previous board."

@BBCAlLamont: Also from CW: Lloyds would likely have put the club into administration last summer if the transaction (his takeover) hadn't happened

@BBCAlLamont: On another note, the financial advisor to Green's consortium is Imran Ahmad of Zeus Capital, the company which oversaw the sale of ...

@BBCAlLamont: ....Formation Group, the company of which Green was a director.

Rangers director Dave King has told BBC Scotland he has first option on Craig Whyte's shares in the club.

Prospective owner Charles Green has stated that he has an irrevocable deal with Whyte for the transfer of his 85% shareholding in Rangers.

But King says he and Whyte agreed last year he would have first refusal on the shares "at whatever price anyone offers and Whyte is willing to accept".

Whyte told BBC Scotland King's assertion was categorically untrue.

King claims to have come to an agreement with Whyte in Glasgow on 29 September last year.

"I have first option on Whyte's shares and would not forego this unless I was absolutely certain that any proposed transaction, that excluded me, was in the best interests of the club," he added.

"I have yet to see such a proposal."

King, who is Rangers' second largest shareholder, continued: "I stayed on because I also had my investment and those of the other minority shareholders to protect and I believe that my presence on the board prevented Whyte from getting away with more than he even did.

"The ultimate problem was that he knowingly lied to me and blocked my ability to validate some of his contentions with the club's financial controller.

Continue reading the main story

Lloyds would likely have put the club into administration last summer if the transaction hadn't happened

Craig Whyte

Rangers' majority shareholder

"I believed that the financial controller had a fiduciary obligation to supply me with information even though it transpired that Whyte had told him not to.

"I was also alert to the fact that Whyte would run out of time and felt that it was better that at least one independent director would be there to protect the interests of the minority shareholders and the fans.

"If I had resigned Whyte would have had carte blanche. The minorities, in my firm view, were defrauded in the initial transaction by Whyte and I intend to seek recourse in that regard once I have access to the Duff & Phelps investigation of the company's affairs."

But when King's comments were put to Whyte on Sunday, he described them as "highly misleading".

"The minority shareholders were no worse off as a result of the initial transaction as one debt simply replaced another," he added.

"Lloyds would likely have put the club into administration last summer if the transaction hadn't happened.

"If the CVA is successful the minority shareholders will retain their shares in a club that will be a debt-free sustainable business and not the basket case that I inherited as a result of the mismanagement of the previous board."

King was one of the club directors identified in the Scottish Football Association's recent Note of Reasons for Rangers' transfer embargo.

He and his former fellow directors were criticised for not doing enough to highlight the non-payment of VAT and PAYE.

On that, King said: "The criticism of me is fair, but John Greig and John McClelland deserve the utmost praise for hanging around as long as they did in the hope that they could somehow make a contribution.

"It was only once they had become completely isolated that they resigned in the hope that this would be a catalyst for greater scrutiny of Whyte's actions.

"I know how gutted they both were - they are unsung heroes to my mind and all Rangers fans should know that they put the club first at all times."