Rangers to England shock

Coming to think of it, a foster/farm team in the Conference ... would be decent for scouting and keeping reserve players up to scratch.

BTW, the English FA would say no, UEFA would say no, and FIFA probably too. That should be obvious to the reporter ... but why would we want that to come before a neat story?

The European courts would say there must be no borders within Europe, Clubs must be free to play where they will. Another Bosman moment but do we want the strife?

Reckon the big clubs (used to think we were a big club!) would use our stance/court fight to either create their own superleague or wring more money out of UEFA by threatening to make a superleague...then tell us to fuck off to our backwater again. Not worth the candle imo.

Had the inital reporter not been on his funny pills, he might have asked Bury first before writing his rubbish. Then again, there should be an editor involved.

Out of Range! Bury dismiss idea Gers could move to Manchester as... Daily Mail 11:41

Bury directors reject Rangers speculation ESPN Soccernet 11:37

Bury rubbish Rangers takeover suggestions The Independent 11:20

Rangers to Buy Bury and Play In League One In 2012/13 Starting... CaughtOffside 11:17

Bury dismiss Rangers link Belfast Telegraph 11:14

Bury play down Rangers link Thurrock Gazette 11:06

Bury reassure fans after reports they could be bought by Rangers London Evening Standard 10:58

Bury FC play down Rangers takeover reports Manchester Evening News 10:57

Bury scotch Gers sale reports TEAMtalk 10:50

Bury won't sell to Gers Sky Sports 10:50

But a good story should not come before sane reporting. Is that dolt who wrote that Ally was certain to quit still in the job? I reckon he is, because if memory serves me correctly, it was one of the chief editors of that rag. Little kings with a grand ego.

Had the inital reporter not been on his funny pills, he might have asked Bury first before writing his rubbish. Then again, there should be an editor involved.

Out of Range! Bury dismiss idea Gers could move to Manchester as... Daily Mail 11:41

Bury directors reject Rangers speculation ESPN Soccernet 11:37

Bury rubbish Rangers takeover suggestions The Independent 11:20

Rangers to Buy Bury and Play In League One In 2012/13 Starting... CaughtOffside 11:17

Bury dismiss Rangers link Belfast Telegraph 11:14

Bury play down Rangers link Thurrock Gazette 11:06

Bury reassure fans after reports they could be bought by Rangers London Evening Standard 10:58

Bury FC play down Rangers takeover reports Manchester Evening News 10:57

Bury scotch Gers sale reports TEAMtalk 10:50

Bury won't sell to Gers Sky Sports 10:50

But a good story should not come before sane reporting. Is that dolt who wrote that Ally was certain to quit still in the job? I reckon he is, because if memory serves me correctly, it was one of the chief editors of that rag. Little kings with a grand ego.

These stories are also in the papers so worth the exact same thought. Remember Murray was only going to sell us on to a person who would take us forward.

that's an interesting put down.

I have my moments, you know.

Anyway, this does not say that doomsinging is the way forward. The climate it brews sure isn't healty. By now most people are very wary about what is going on, but this should not end up in us being paranoid. So forgive me if I at one time or another rein one or two of the doomsingers in. It is all in good faith or a greater good. :cheers:

Edited by der Berliner

The journo's saying we can't apply are saying so because UEFA regulations says:

No combinations or alliances between member associations or between leagues or clubs affiliated, directly or indirectly, to different UEFA member associations may be formed without the permission of UEFA.

A member association, or it's affiliated leagues and clubs, may neither play nor organise matches outside its own territory without the permission of the relevant member associations.

The questions i'd have are:

1 - Given we have no affiliation to the SFA why would this apply to Rangers?

2 - If the SPL refuse our right to play in the league, and we have no membership of the SFA, then is it not a restriction of trade to refuse us permission to move to a league which is technically still within our own country (United Kingdom)?

I think the problem would be if we required the SFA's permission to play games in Scotland, although again this could be seen as a restriction of trade given we'd have been refused permission by the SFA and it's top league to play in their competitions.

Legally there's no doubt we'd win any court case, but whether or not we'd want to go down that route is debatable.

Edited by bigy

I'm not saying I agree with with this scenario but it is looking increasingly unlikely that we will be admitted to the SPL (in fact Kilmarnock might be the only other vote we get) and it is by no means a given that the SFL Clubs will vote for us either, although you would think that there is a big financial incentive with gate money and TV.

Buying an English Club (and if I remember Port Vale were the last to be mentioned and I don't know why Bury this time unless they're in soapy bubble too) gets you into the pyrmid at a fairly high level otherwise you have to go as far down as you need to to find a league with an odd number of teams and that could be at flight 15 or 20.

Also there is NO rule either at UEFA or EU level to prevent a Club playing in a league outside its own jurisdiction and there are loads of current examples not just Monaco, Berwick (the Monaco of the NE of England) and the Welsh Clubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country.

Each case is determined on its own merits and if the English League wanted it, and why not, it would go to UEFA for ratification and in my opinion most likely it would be accepted although that is by no means certain as apparently Evian Thonon Gaillard applied in 2010-11 to play across the border in nearby Geneva, Switzerland (sharing with FC Servette), due to its own facilities being inadequate for top division French football; however, despite French Football Federation support, UEFA denied it, and Evian ended up playing in Annecy, sharing with Annecy F.C.