New deal would parachute Rangers into SPL... but then relegate club to First Division

Mounting pressure from the SFA could see Rangers relegated to the First Division as part of radical new plans to resolve the greatest crisis Scottish football has ever faced.

The proposal, discussed by the Scottish Football League board at an emergency meeting, would see Charles Green's newco Rangers voted back into the SPL by club chairmen on July 4 on condition they accept responsibility for the wrongdoings of the defunct Ibrox club.

Then, as part of the SPL investigation which found that 'old' Rangers had a case to answer over dual contracts for players and management, the club would be immediately relegated to the First Division.

While any agreement would be seen as a blatant act of gerrymandering by Scotland's footballing bodies, it would minimise the financial hardship suffered by SPL clubs, keep Sky's £80million broadcasting contract on the table, satisfy the bloodlust amongst supporters of rival clubs for Rangers to be punished and give the Ibrox side a fighting chance of a swift return to the top tier.

It would also circumvent the problem raised by SFL chief executive David Longmuir, who has repeatedly said a newco Rangers would have to apply for membership and start at the bottom of the Third Division.

Under pressure from FIFA to resolve the wrangling and heavily punish Rangers, the SFA have lost patience and moved to bang heads together to find the 'least worst' solution to the game's growing malaise.

The governing body are also hellbent on pushing through proposals for a single league body as one of the five key principles put forward in the McLeish report.

We had a very productive meeting,' said Longmuir last night. 'We're right in the middle of discussing all the options at the moment and (Rangers dropping into the First Division) is part of it.

'There are other options available, but we're just trying to do what is best for Scottish football.

'We're not ruling anything out and there's a lot of work to be done before anything can be put together and agreed on.

'I think we looked at every option that was available to benefit the game and the Rangers issue was one of them. We are preparing ourselves for every eventuality that may impact on us.'

SPL clubs will attempt to use Rangers' predicament to force a change in the voting set-up, while the SFL are seeking a return of the play-off system, abolished 14 years ago, in order to grant their approval to the plan.

There are lingering concerns that allowing Rangers to go to the First - rather than Third - Division will send out the wrong message to other debt-ridden SPL clubs. It's also unclear whether relegated Dunfermline, or last season's First Division runners-up Dundee, would acquire the SPL vacancy.

To succeed, the plan requires a level of co-operation and agreement from within Ibrox and yesterday chief executive Charles Green spoke of reaching out to build bridges with rival clubs and their supporters.

Manager Ally McCoist and his players return for pre-season training next Thursday in a state of paralysis over where they will play next season and Green said: 'We really need to focus on that and, part of my role and that of my executive team over the next few days, is to really understand, from the chairmen, from the SPL and SFA, where Rangers can go.

'Can we now try to heal the divides which exist in football in Scotland? I would like to reiterate, the issues we are all having to face now are not as a result of the actions of Rangers supporters, players or the management of this club now.

'And they are certainly not down to the investors and myself. 'These issues were created by previous owners of this club and they have a lot to answer for.'

Speaking after former director Dave King apologised for the chaos wrought by the Murray Group's EBT scheme, Green added: 'I'm quite happy to say I'm sorry, but what am I saying I am sorry for? We all know who needs to make the apology.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2162392/Rangers-crisis-New-deal-parachute-Ibrox-club-SPL.html

Guest Oso de Campo

Zero "sporting integrity" with this option.

However (and this ain't gonna happen, but hey) why don't Rangers turn this one around and tell them we would be willing to accept this solution and protect their telly money provided there are NO further sanctions based on anything to do with the old company's running of The Club.

Draw a line under the whole damned thing.

The taig demand of "stripped titles" won't be met, but feck em.