Another golden oldie offers to help out Rangers-windass

Former Hull City hero Dean Windass has offered to play for Glasgow Rangers next season.

The 43-year-old, who played SPL football for Aberdeen nearly 20 years ago, says he is willing to come out of retirement to play for Rangers in the Scottish third division.

Ready for action: Dean Windass

Former Wales international Robbie Savage has also offered his services for free to assist Rangers boss Ally McCoist who is looking for new recruits following his club's shock demotion to the lowest tier of Scottish football.

Windass, who has been treated for depression in the last six months after attempting suicide, retired three years ago and was briefly assistant manager at Darlington.

Last season he played for Scarborough Athletic in the Northern East Counties Premier Division.

He said: 'Rangers are still a massive club and I loved playing against them when I was in Scotland for Aberdeen, and always had a good time with the fans at Ibrox.

'The thought of playing for the club and helping them rebuild would be very exciting. I've kept myself in good shape and I know I could still handle playing at that level.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2179510/Dean-Windass-offers-come-retirement-play-Rangers.html#ixzz21lqV0Mxm

I think we need to remember that we have young players who would be very disappointed if we started to bring in loads of older players who have stopped playing. It is different bringing in some experienced pros, we really need to strengthen, but let's not get carried away.

Thanks for the video clip by the way. That game showed to the world how big we are.

I think we need to remember that we have young players who would be very disappointed if we started to bring in loads of older players who have stopped playing. It is different bringing in some experienced pros, we really need to strengthen, but let's not get carried away.

Thanks for the video clip by the way. That game showed to the world how big we are.

At least 4 or 5 experienced players are going to be needed in the squad all with the desire and hunger to get Rangers back up. Already having McCoist and McCulloch around is a good start. A Davie Weir would have been good.

As for retired players it all depends what condition they are in. Looking at the Milan match the likes of Numan, Mols, Albertz and De Boer did all look in good shape but playing competitive football for a season is a different game. They were up against a relaxed Milan side.

As for Windass, he was a top shelf dick when he was at Aberdeen, I remember getting my haircut and he walked in and told the hairdresser to stop me and start on him instantly and he wasnt joking.