Ramsden Cup Live

I thought we started very well and had a fair few decent chances very early on before opening the scoring. We then went on the back foot for five minutes before rallying again with the best chance a near miss from McCulloch.

We then faded badly again after that and scrapped out the rest of the game and while being the obvious better team, did little to use that advantage.

The team looked well short of match practice and fitness as well as looking like they didn't know each other too well which isn't surprising. Communication was off but so was accuracy and cleverness of passing and defending was slack and dare I say a bit lazy looking.

The goal we let in was poor from start to finish and a culmination of about five errors in a row. Broadfoot and Goian were mostly to blame and were our worst performers throughout the match but you also have to wonder about Alexander's poor protection of the near post. However, at least he was solid for the rest of the game. Goian didn't look interested but he must have been highly embarrassed with that performance and will need to look a lot classier if he wants to seal a move elsewhere for the same kind of money.

We seemed to dominate a lot in possession but were a bit pedestrian in the last third which was never going to break down Brechin's well organised defence. A lot of crosses were put in to a packed box as the main tactic, which in itself is a good thing, but the quality of the ball was generally poor and easily dealt with. Even on the law of averages you'd expect about one in three balls to get to a fellow blue shirt but it looked like less than one in ten.

Luckily one did eventually get to McCulloch who seemed to put it in the net with his shoulder.

I agree with McKay was not bad the first half but a passenger in the second and I wasn't impressed either with McLeod. Don't remember much from Naismith apart from a terrible free kick.

I thought the midfield lacked any creativity and it looks like we need a decent and skilful play maker to break down the resilient defences we'll be coming up against as the narrow pitches like Glebe Park will stifle any wingers.

In the end I'm happy with a win under the circumstances seeing as we were playing what was effectively a pre-season game against a team who seen it as their cup final. That attitude will be there a lot in the lower divisions and make things a lot harder for us - and limit the entertainment side of things. But it is the wins that are important and your table position shows your class, not the number of big wins.

Some people seem to complain when we scrape a one goal win against the likes of Dunfermline, only for them to be thrashed 4-0 by someone like Kilmarnock the next week. The implication is that we're worse than Kilmarnock whereas a quick look at the table totally belies that.

Teams always lift their game against us and we're not always on top form. It's usually when we're unplayable and get an early couple of goals that kills the chances of a result for the opposition that they then cave in for our big wins.

I'm sure we'll be the best team in the league by far but our squad is going to be makeshift and not exactly out of the top drawer. Individual games are not going to be easy but as I say, it will be the table that shows where our level is.

Some have been saying that nothing's changed from last season - I would love that: a year of turmoil off the park, 10 points deducted, a form slump when players take a pay cut - and we still finish comfortably the second best in the country. However, I think we're dreaming if we think we'll be as good as last season.

Sometimes you just have to accept where you are and get on the road to improvement. I broke my leg two years ago and I'm just starting to play 5-a-side again and I'm currently struggling with pace, touch, keeping the ball down when I shoot and I'm standing off players instead of tackling them. I'm nowhere near where I was two years ago as I'm unfit, out of practice and over a stone heavier. If I was harsh on myself, I'd end up just giving up for life, but I understand where my limitations are coming from and I know that every week I'm getting a bit better.

It's not the most auspicious start but Brechin are too good for division three and so I think we are ready to do a job. Doing it with the flair that most people want could be another thing, and it's got to be remembered that Falkirk tried to put aesthetics over results and were relegated for that philosophy. What we need is to get the job done as quickly as possible.

Guest Dutchy

I think Brechin are actually in div 2, but it was their 'cup final' remember as well.

I thought just before their goal, you could see it coming as many of the players just didn't look interested. It's more about disipline than ability and if we're going to use younger players, ally needs to get 90 mins of concentration from the team.

Also, although Broadfoot was not the most skillful player on the park, he was certainly interested and was all over the park and did some good things, but his crossing went to pot as the game progressed.

AS other have said....I felt it was a rather "rusty" performance. Thought the first 30mins, we were well in control, then we seemed to take the foot off the gas and let Brechin have a lot more of the ball - we never really recovered from that. I don't know whether it was a mental thing or not - "We're Rangers, and we're all over you...easy!!!"

I though Black had a fairly decent game. His passing at times was a yard short, but he was keen to get involved. Thought he had a couple of good deliveries from free-kicks & corners.

Barry McKay started brightly. Again, keen to get involved, however never REALLY troubled their keeper and was quiet after the break.

Goian & Boca, didn't look their usual impenetrable selves, and were slightly sloppy (goian especially). Wallace looked tidy & was keen to get forward, as did Broadfoot.

I am just glad to get that one out of the way. As it got nearer to kick off I began to think about the possibility of losing this one. I was imagining the headlines if that had happened. I think it is inevitable that the players confidence is fragile at the moment and confidence is every bit as important as physical fitness. I think the loss of what was a really sloppy goal put us under unnecessary pressure, after dominating the first half, and we never really recovered after that. I would expect us to defend much better than that in the future.