Gers want McCoist for life - says SSN

Gers want McCoist for life

Boss to be offered new contract and shareholding in the club

Last Updated: July 30, 2012 9:56am

Charles Green is keen to keep Ally McCoist at Rangers for the next 25 years, with the Gers boss to be offered a new contract and a shareholding in the club.

An Ibrox legend from his playing days, McCoist inherited the managerial reins from Walter Smith in the summer of 2011.

His first 12 months in the hot-seat have been eventful to say the least, with the Gers having slipped into administration, liquidation and the Scottish Third Division.

McCoist has, however, helped to steer the club back from the brink and has impressed new chief executive Green with his attitude and commitment to the cause.

Reports earlier in the summer suggested that the pair did not see eye to eye and that McCoist could head for the exits, but any issues there were have been ironed out and Green wants the Gers' current boss to play a leading role in their efforts to return to the top of Scottish football.

Contract

"There is no chance we would want Ally to leave the club," he told the Daily Record.

"I want him to be here for the next 25 years.

"We would never let his contract finish. We're talking with him and his advisers about doing something."

Green has also revealed that McCoist will be offered a stake in the club when a share issue is launched.

He added: "We have started speaking with him about being a major part of Rangers both as a manager and shareholder.

"Why shouldn't Ally be a shareholder? That would be important for him and his family."

Historic

Piling further praise on McCoist and the role he has played during a difficult period for the club, Green added: "Ally's first year in management was unlike anyone else's in football, so that is historic.

"He was one of the first people to turn to Duff and Phelps and say, 'Don't pay me any salary'.

"Ally worked for free and I don't know any manager who has gone into their boss's office and said, 'I will work for free'.

"I have also seen him in meetings and he has really protected the club."

SSN

Did not know that we were liquidated, or going to be. Looked quite lively yesterday.

hmmmm.

more playing to the gallery.

not sure what % of fans would really back this.

purely practically ally will be long retired in 25 years.

What has it got to do with the fans?. Ally is a Rangers legend and why shouldn't accept the offer?

I don't think everyone backs super quite that much Ian.

I'm not sure what the % are to be honest but I know a few guys that don't rate him.

I'm not saying I'm backing him too much either,all I'm saying is the fans don't have a say in it. You will always have fans who don't rate a manager,see WS.

I am thankful that Ally has been here through all of this shit all the same. Also I'm sure Ally would quit if he wasn't doing a job.