Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

As it happens I do think you go OTT Kuz. :D But it does seem like something of a witch hunt against you at times.

i know i do mate, i have promised to curb my enthusiasm a little but that was a genuinly good post from yourself. i posted something similar just before you.

maybe the forum should be reborn as a members only club with the members all having to possess coaching qualifications and badges? :facepalm: to suggest fans cant talk about tactics because you dont think they are qualified is ridiculous. i read alot of good points from fans on tactics and formations, its not a closed shop for only certain people.

I Have a "UEFA C equivalence licence" - do I get access to this members only club ? :D

General question though.....

We are on the back of 11 wins in a row.... the tactics are clearly working. Maybe not by the 6 or 7 goal margins we would like. But we ARE winning. So those tactics are working. So just where is that credit being extended to McCoist for those wins ? In certain quarters it isnt.

I dont think I have EVER seen a "perfect" game from Rangers, so why do we expect it now ? The tactics have been working, regardless of performance and, admittedly, possibly in spite of performance.

But to continually ridicule them when they are working just seems like making a rod for your own back in my opinion.

We all have our own preferred tactics.... taking kuznetsov for example (sorry...) you wanted to see a 4-4-2 deployed at Annan the other day. We will never know... but what if McCoist had went with 4-4-2 and we hadnt won the game - would you have readily admitted your own preferred tactics were wrong ? Or would you have blamed the personnel being out of position ?

See, as far as I can tell.... every single one of us will shoehorn our own opinion and when we are wrong, we are just as likely to find a different excuse as we are to throw our hands up and admit we were wrong.

But we ARE getting results, however poorly we perform (and I want us to play better football too - but it also mustnt be forgotten that better teams than us have played poor teams and lost - there is a BIG difference in terms of time on the ball at SPL level vs SFL3). We ARE well out in front in terms of the league and we WILL win it at a canter - which is only to be expected.

However, I am not sure I buy the "we have lost a year" philosophy - why ? Because as we move through the divisions the playing personnel, tactics and formations will undoubtedly change as we move through those leagues. We also have to remember that attaining the type and standard of player we want isnt as easy as it used to be. ALL of us was ecstatic and astounded we got Templeton, and he, without being disrespectful, was at a middling SPL club - and we have all been talking about the "153" and how so few of them would improve us.

In fact, I would be inclined to suggest that instead of "losing a year" we have "gained a year". Contrarian ? Possibly, but lets consider whether or not we have lost a year or have we gained a year in the sense that McKay, McLeod, Aird, Crawford et al have been given an opportunity and grasped it with both hands. My only hope is that they continue to get the experience as we move through the divisions and become the "core" of our team when we make it back to the top flight because they ALL have the potential to save us millions.

that is excellent craig. i am well impressed. it may well just be you and i in this club!

A club of two.... sounds kind of gay :D

What licencing do you have my man ?

Ours could only be "equivalence" as Bermuda is under CONCACAF but it was Jacques Crevoisier from UEFA that did the assessments. My Bermuda club (Shaun Goater just let his manager's contract terminate) are looking at sending a number of coaches to Largs for the B licence - I doubt I would be able to as it takes a big time commitment at a time of year that I cant get off from work.

I love coaching the kids to be honest (I have a U10 team) even though they can be infuriating.

My team might actually be playing in the Rangers international tournament this July - we are looking at bringing them over and haviong RFC provide dedicated coaches to the team. I must say that the RFC camps/tours and development department are very professional in the dealings I have had with them - a bunch of our kids went to Man U's camp a couple of years ago and it was a production line "get you in, camp without dedication to your kids, get you out, get then ext group in" but Rangers have already informed us that if we take this route they would take one kid from each of our teams to be invited back to work with the academy with a view to possibly becoming part of the Academy set up. They have also been very open to sending RFC coaches out to Bermuda to do a week-long camp more than once a year and also providing educational assistance to our coaches in an effort to have us working in a professional manner (despite all our coaches being volunteers).

To me that suggests that RFC recognise the importance of out-reach type programs. Is very cost effective for them and also provides them an easy means to see many players in a short space of time and cherry pick the quality players and bring them into the RFC set up to see how they shape up.

I was highly impressed.

Anyway, MAJOR tangent. Apologies.

General question though.....

We are on the back of 11 wins in a row.... the tactics are clearly working. Maybe not by the 6 or 7 goal margins we would like. But we ARE winning. So those tactics are working. So just where is that credit being extended to McCoist for those wins ? In certain quarters it isnt.

I dont think I have EVER seen a "perfect" game from Rangers, so why do we expect it now ? The tactics have been working, regardless of performance and, admittedly, possibly in spite of performance.

But to continually ridicule them when they are working just seems like making a rod for your own back in my opinion.

We all have our own preferred tactics.... taking kuznetsov for example (sorry...) you wanted to see a 4-4-2 deployed at Annan the other day. We will never know... but what if McCoist had went with 4-4-2 and we hadnt won the game - would you have readily admitted your own preferred tactics were wrong ? Or would you have blamed the personnel being out of position ?

See, as far as I can tell.... every single one of us will shoehorn our own opinion and when we are wrong, we are just as likely to find a different excuse as we are to throw our hands up and admit we were wrong.

But we ARE getting results, however poorly we perform (and I want us to play better football too - but it also mustnt be forgotten that better teams than us have played poor teams and lost - there is a BIG difference in terms of time on the ball at SPL level vs SFL3). We ARE well out in front in terms of the league and we WILL win it at a canter - which is only to be expected.

However, I am not sure I buy the "we have lost a year" philosophy - why ? Because as we move through the divisions the playing personnel, tactics and formations will undoubtedly change as we move through those leagues. We also have to remember that attaining the type and standard of player we want isnt as easy as it used to be. ALL of us was ecstatic and astounded we got Templeton, and he, without being disrespectful, was at a middling SPL club - and we have all been talking about the "153" and how so few of them would improve us.

In fact, I would be inclined to suggest that instead of "losing a year" we have "gained a year". Contrarian ? Possibly, but lets consider whether or not we have lost a year or have we gained a year in the sense that McKay, McLeod, Aird, Crawford et al have been given an opportunity and grasped it with both hands. My only hope is that they continue to get the experience as we move through the divisions and become the "core" of our team when we make it back to the top flight because they ALL have the potential to save us millions.

i am not expecting perfection, far from it. now i need to watch what i say here. lets just say, the things that made me apprehensive about ally taking the job are still there, the things which made me want him removed are still there as well.

with all our resources i dont think we can honestly gage just where we are. we are so much better than who we are beating just now. matches against spl clubs is a better guide. 1 win, 1 heavy defeat so far, the dundee utd will tell us alot about where we are in a way the sfl3 cannot.

i dont think you can blindly say the tactics are working when we are struggling at times to beat team and players who are valued at and paid a fraction of what our players are. in fact, even in victory, i would argue it isnt working and maybe that is why i am so negative.

to take you question to me craig. "would you have readily admitted your own preferred tactics were wrong ? Or would you have blamed the personnel being out of position ?" if the 11 men were played in there correct positions and we had not won of course i am man enough to admit i would have been wrong, however i dont believe we would have lost or drawn. i am positive enough to believe we would have won much more comfortably and also enjoyed the game more. football is not a difficult sport, players will play better when they feel more comfortable and secure in where they are playing and what they are being asked to do.

i said lost a year because i believe, and steven craigan agrees with me here, our players are playing well within themselves, sometimes they are not even playing at all. they can do more, much more and we can be better, much better. i just dont believe in the management team, i believe they and we should be doing better, and that is not me harping on about the same thing again. it is in direct response to craigs post and is meant as an honest reply with no offense meant to anyone reading.

:thup:

So what is your response to Juancornetto's point? Should people not critisise our politicians unless they're politicians themselves?

It's a strawman, the two aren't analogous. If you go to a top restaurant and you don't enjoy the meal do you feel qualified to approach the chef and advise him on to improve it?

Tactics are not some form of rocket science that is alien to everyone except those trained in the area, I think i've seen enough football in my time to be entitled to an opinion.

Yeah, actually they are. I've had plenty of meals in my time but I wouldn't be able to run a kitchen at the busiest restaurant in town, could you? No one is saying you aren't allowed an opinion, simply that you should be called on it when it's clearly ill-informed bollocks.

This stuff is just a lazy response when someone can't be bothered countering an opinion they don't agree with.

There was no argument to counter. If you aren't qualified to give tactical advice posters are fully entitled to criticise you for doing it. That's not infantile it's pointing out an clearly apparent fact. I've no beef with Juancornetto, I agree with much of his last paragraph, but not his first two.

A club of two.... sounds kind of gay :D

What licencing do you have my man ?

Ours could only be "equivalence" as Bermuda is under CONCACAF but it was Jacques Crevoisier from UEFA that did the assessments. My Bermuda club (Shaun Goater just let his manager's contract terminate) are looking at sending a number of coaches to Largs for the B licence - I doubt I would be able to as it takes a big time commitment at a time of year that I cant get off from work.

I love coaching the kids to be honest (I have a U10 team) even though they can be infuriating.

My team might actually be playing in the Rangers international tournament this July - we are looking at bringing them over and haviong RFC provide dedicated coaches to the team. I must say that the RFC camps/tours and development department are very professional in the dealings I have had with them - a bunch of our kids went to Man U's camp a couple of years ago and it was a production line "get you in, camp without dedication to your kids, get you out, get then ext group in" but Rangers have already informed us that if we take this route they would take one kid from each of our teams to be invited back to work with the academy with a view to possibly becoming part of the Academy set up. They have also been very open to sending RFC coaches out to Bermuda to do a week-long camp more than once a year and also providing educational assistance to our coaches in an effort to have us working in a professional manner (despite all our coaches being volunteers).

To me that suggests that RFC recognise the importance of out-reach type programs. Is very cost effective for them and also provides them an easy means to see many players in a short space of time and cherry pick the quality players and bring them into the RFC set up to see how they shape up.

I was highly impressed.

Anyway, MAJOR tangent. Apologies.

just level 1 and 2 for coaching kids, i got them years ago when i was much younger. i miss it, i havnt coached for years due to other things going on in my life.

the way you describe it, i am impressed too. :)

maybe the forum should be reborn as a members only club with the members all having to possess coaching qualifications and badges? :facepalm: to suggest fans cant talk about tactics because you dont think they are qualified is ridiculous. i read alot of good points from fans on tactics and formations, its not a closed shop for only certain people.

You're another one who struggles to read. I've no problem with you having an opinion but when it's clearly ignorant nonsense you should be criticised for it. We've over 180 pages of proof that you've not got any insight into professional football management or tactics.