Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

McCoist got knocked out of CL and Europa by teams who I cant even remember.

I refresh your memory then.... NK Maribor, the Slovenian champions and most successful team in their country who went on to win the league and cup double last season. NK Maribor... the team with 20 Yugoslavian trophies and 19 Slovenian trophies

By the way... the same NK Maribor just humped Panathinaikos 3-0 in the Europa League on Thursday.

NK Maribor.... A very successful little team who can not only compete in Europe, but take the scalps of some much bigger and more expensive teams.

Are Maribor a great team? No, they're not. Are they completely shite or a "pub team" like some people try to say? No, they certainly aren't.

I still feel Ally is the right man for the job. I've seen nothing so far to convince me otherwise. Yes, I've been dissappointed in our performance in a few games, but I think that's to be expected as the team needs time to gell. Quite frankly I don't think a change of manager would make any difference at all at this stage.

I think Ally needs to be given more time and deserves to be shown a lot more respect than he is by some fans. Ally will always put the club first and he's smart enough himself to know if and when someone could come in and do a better job than him.

I dont like the way the team has played of late however, I had to think during the last game that legendary Bill Struth [whose large picture hangs on the wall beside the TV] did lose a game or two as well. I had to ponder about how often over his career did anyone call for his replacement or ouster?

I dont like the way the team has played of late however, I had to think during the last game that legendary Bill Struth [whose large picture hangs on the wall beside the TV] did lose a game or two as well. I had to ponder about how often over his career did anyone call for his replacement or ouster?

In 1947, Rangers’ Chairman, Jimmy Bowie, made the mistake of suggesting to manager, Bill Struth that, at the age of 71, it might be time for him to retire and take a seat on the Board. Bowie, a former Gers player soon found himself ousted from the Board by Struth and his faction of major shareholders. As the largest single shareholder, Struth became a director while remaining as manager. Bowie probably never set foot inside Ibrox again and died in 1969.

No disrespect Zappa but it is well proven enough that having tons of top flight experience means nothing when it comes to management !

Absolutely! However... it's also well proven that ditching your manager because of some bad results and poor performances for one with more managerial experience and/or success on his CV doesn't always work out too well. That's why some clubs end up changing their manager far too often. Being overly impatient is a common flaw at football clubs.

Absolutely! However... it's also well proven that ditching your manager because of some bad results and poor performances for one with more managerial experience and/or success on his CV doesn't always work out too well. That's why some clubs end up changing their manager far too often. Being overly impatient is a common flaw at football clubs.

Plenty of examples where a change has proved to be correct as well.

I still feel Ally is the right man for the job. I've seen nothing so far to convince me otherwise. Yes, I've been dissappointed in our performance in a few games, but I think that's to be expected as the team needs time to gell. Quite frankly I don't think a change of manager would make any difference at all at this stage.

I think Ally needs to be given more time and deserves to be shown a lot more respect than he is by some fans. Ally will always put the club first and he's smart enough himself to know if and when someone could come in and do a better job than him.

This is not true at all, he'll always have the belief he can turn it around, not blaming him for that as he'll need self belief to try and get anywhere but facts are he'll never walk away from this dream job.

Hahhahaha dear god, build the euro monies up how you like itvwoll never take away the fact they are no bigger than a st mittens or Dundee.

... and to add to Zappa's report on Maribor, Malmö was the Swedish Champions and was 12 (as in TWELVE) weeks into their season, while we barely had a handful of pre-season games under our belts and 7 to 9 new players in there.

And on top of that, remember that this still is a game of chance. By default, the better team has the better chances of progressing or/and winning. But it still remains a game of chance and many more teams have found that out this season, last season, the season before last and so on. And it will continue that way in the future.

It is kind of strange how people can only see the validity of their point: i.e. McCoist is a bad manager as has been proven by CL/EL/whatever exit, full stop. Some not even mention the players involved. It is essentially just simplified baiscs that apparently conclude that we are Rangers so we have to beat the aforementioned lot by default, no matter what. And if we don't it is our fault first and foremost. A simple world indeed and sure no decent basis for any continuous debate. I heard that with Walter's first spell, his second spell, PLG, Advocaat, McLeish ... you name them. At the end of the day, history will measure "good" managers by trophies won. Most of our managers these last 30odd years will thus be ranked as "good" managers by the majority of the Bears. Whether some people liked their styles or not.

BTW, though I continually asked this without any (IMHO) substantiated reply: what would people like to change these days?

- A better passing game? (Will come, once we get a settled line-up ... I assume.)

- No McCulloch? (We had that debate for years and more often than not, he did his job admirably.)

- No hoofs up the park? (By default, many would rather see "clearing the lines effectively" than doing fancy stuff and greated unnecessary danger. A Gough/Gazza clone would be grand, of course ...)

Next point?