Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I dont see why Calderwood would be such a poor appointment, we are 4th in Div 3!!!!!! If we were 4th in the SPL then of course he wouldnt be on my list but some need to grasps the situation we are in. We have still 8 months of Division 3 football which we have to get out of then another 24 months of lower league football at the least.

McInnes wouldnt leave the Championship to come to Div 3. He is up against Leeds, Middlesboro, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Bolton, Blackburn, Notts Forest etc. How could he leave going to those grounds to go to Elgin and Brechin in the next few years.

calderwood would certainly be a step up from what we have now. gung hoe attacking football. 5 up front. i fancy at least trying it.

I'll be brutal here because everyone else seems to be doing so... If we force out Ally to bring in a guy like Calderwood, I'll probably never get over it and I think I'd probably be completely ashamed on behalf of those who forced him out. The suggestion in itself is offensive to me because we have the chance to not only develop a new squad (and a bunch of our youth and young players along with it), but also to develop and progress an inexperienced manager and club legend into a real (and potentially great!) manager.

Get to grips with the fact that we've survived the biggest shit-storm in the history of the club and we're now where we are in the 4th tier of Scottish football which happens to be surprisingly competitive. In fact, it's more competitive, with better football on display than many of us imagined.

Give Ally a break!

Expect us to win the league and get promoted. If we don't win the league, then I think we'll ALL be calling for a change of manager!

I'll be brutal here because everyone else seems to be doing so... If we force out Ally to bring in a guy like Calderwood, I'll probably never get over it and I think I'd probably be completely ashamed on behalf of those who forced him out. The suggestion in itself is offensive to me because we have the chance to not only develop a new squad (and a bunch of our youth and young players along with it), but also to develop and progress an inexperienced manager and club legend into a real (and potentially great!) manager.

Get to grips with the fact that we've survived the biggest shit-storm in the history of the club and we're now where we are in the 4th tier of Scottish football which happens to be surprisingly competitive. In fact, it's more competitive, with better football on display than many of us imagined.

Give Ally a break!

Expect us to win the league and get promoted. If we don't win the league, then I think we'll ALL be calling for a change of manager!

we will have wasted a year and will still require a new manager. we will just need one in a new division.

I do agree on calderwood.

Ally McCoist was a sensational striker who lit up all things Rangers and became a legend as the all time top goal scorer of RFC, he then turned to tv and went on to take the British public by storm with his 'gifted' manner of himself into 'A' class celebrity status'.

Why he ever thought he could manage Rangers after all that beats me....Jimmy Calderwood? Maybe.

we will have wasted a year and will still require a new manager. we will just need one in a new division.

I completely disagree with that, but it's all about our different interpretations of the situation the club's now in.

Ally deserves our full support and backing despite some poor results here and there and the bottom line is that he's tasked with winning the league title this season while learning the art of actual football team management, but the latter doesn't come overnight by any means.

I know there's a lot of people here who'll disagree with me, but I really think Ally desrves the chance to develop as a manager here. Let him win this league and as many as he and his squad can, then take a look at where we stand when he fails to win a league title on our way back to the top.

but also to develop and progress an inexperienced manager and club legend into a real (and potentially great!) manager.

If we don't win the league, then I think we'll ALL be calling a change of manager!

Not often I disagree with you but who exactly can develop McCoist into this great manager? Durrant and McDowall chewing their gum and writing on a note pad doesnt fill me with confidence that they are on the right track. For 1000th time McCoist needs a proper No.2 to help him develop although whats frustrating is he done his trade with Walter at Scotland then at Rangers and when he looked after the Cup games under Walter he actually played attacking footbal but when he stepped into the hot seat he has been nothing short of clueless on occasions bar a couple of good games early last season.

Not winning this league is not worth thinking about, even going up via a play off would be slightly embarrassing.

I do actually think we will eventually get to the top of the league with winning most home games and we will start to win away matches but the style of football has been shocking and when we get top of the league it will be papering over cracks.

Your comment on Calderwood is unfair. We arent comparing them as Rangers legends, we are looking at them as football managers and based on records with resources Calderwood comes out on top with flying colours.

Not often I disagree with you but who exactly can develop McCoist into this great manager?

Himself!! The guy has more top-flight football experience than most noobie managers out there, so why can't he succeed in management? I just want us to give him a proper chance and I don't think he's had that yet because to me, his chance started on the 1st of September this year.

Your comment on Calderwood is unfair. We arent comparing them as Rangers legends, we are looking at them as football managers and based on records with resources Calderwood comes out on top with flying colours.

Calderwood is an experienced, but below average football manager though Gribz and he's had a LOT longer than Ally to become a footballing managerial genius!! He hasn't though....

Himself!! The guy has more top-flight football experience than most noobie managers out there, so why can't he succeed in management? I just want us to give him a proper chance and I don't think he's had that yet because to me, his chance started on the 1st of September this year.

Calderwood is an experienced, but below average football manager though Gribz and he's had a LOT longer than Ally to become a footballing managerial genius!! He hasn't though....

No disrespect Zappa but it is well proven enough that having tons of top flight experience means nothing when it comes to management !

I dont think he can do it himself he's been dubious in the SPL and now in Div 3.

Im not saying Calderwood is a genius but when you think about the situation we are in what experienced quality manager would want to have a 3-4 year stint building a team back up the leagues. Its going to take someone who wants the actual challenge. Id prefer not to have Calderwood, he'd be down the list for me but what the fans want and who we are capable of attracting in Div 3 are two different things. All I can say as Pro-Calderwood argument is id rather have him than McCoist at the moment. Calderwood took a poor Aberdeen team into the UEFA cup and drew with Bayern a few years ago, McCoist got knocked out of CL and Europa by teams who I cant even remember.