Ally's Recruitment Drive

However, he has effectively lost an entire squad of players – many of whom were involved in the capture of three successive SPL titles and it is so difficult to replace that quality.

Since January a total of 23 first team players have left: Davie Weir, Nikica Jelavic, Jordan McMillan, Thomas Kind Bendiksen, Gregg Wylde, Mervan Celik, Stevie Naismith, Steven Whittaker, Allan McGregor, Steve Davis, Kyle Lafferty, Sasa Papac, Sone Aluko, Kyle Bartley, John Fleck, Juan Ortiz, Jamie Ness, Rhys McCabe, David Healy, Salim Kerkar, Alejandro Bedoya, Grant Adam and Dorin Goian.

Maurice Edu will almost certainly join this list and there may well be other departures in the next week so it is clearly apparent to the manager that signings have to be made.

First time Ive seen the list in full and it makes for painful reading. But good luck to the players in bold, always welcome back at Ibrox. There may be 1 or 2 of the youngsters there that also transfered their contract over but Im not sure.

But agree with Zappa, its effectively a 16 month transfer embargo and it should have been agreed to start in the middle of August so it ended middle of August next year allowing us to sign again before 1st Sept 2013.

The problem with making it from mid August is that we would have two weeks less in THIS window to make buying transactions whilst still being exposed to the possibility of losing players till end of August.

I think the club would have known that it was effectively a 16 month embargo - when you look at the standard of player being brought in they are already clearly planning for an assault on SFL2 next season. I would be more worried if we were bringing in mid-tier SFL2 players just now as that would see us struggle through the 1st half of next season. But we ae signing SPL standard players, so as long as we can stay relatively injury free then we will be fine through this season and half of next till the Jan 2014 window opens.

Also, lets not forget we CAN still bring in U18's whilst the embargo is in place.

The problem with making it from mid August is that we would have two weeks less in THIS window to make buying transactions whilst still being exposed to the possibility of losing players till end of August.

I think the club would have known that it was effectively a 16 month embargo - when you look at the standard of player being brought in they are already clearly planning for an assault on SFL2 next season. I would be more worried if we were bringing in mid-tier SFL2 players just now as that would see us struggle through the 1st half of next season. But we ae signing SPL standard players, so as long as we can stay relatively injury free then we will be fine through this season and half of next till the Jan 2014 window opens.

Also, lets not forget we CAN still bring in U18's whilst the embargo is in place.

What I would have had in place is the embargo works both ways...we cant bring players in nor cant let players go out. If its a transfer activity ban then we cant deal with any players in or out. But that would open up a huge can of worms for players employment rights...however Id have stuck to my guns and had it that way considering the law was on our side in the first place.

Im wondering if the club knew about the changes to the structure of the game hence happily accepting going down to Div 3.

I agree that we are signing players way better than Div 1-3 standard and a dangling carrot when they were signing could be we will be in SPL2 sooner rather than later.

But if you had stuck to your guns then there is every chance RFC would be playing NO games this season, which could have been fatal.

I suspect they knew changes were likely - they were saying our demotion could kill the game even before it happened, so you have to think that talks were taking place even then. Might also be the reason Goian has gone out on a season long loan too.

Just thinking about how funny that would be any time we're short of players or even just to wind up the SFA we could make a habit of it at home games to have a retired player or celebrity trialist turn up and come on for a few minutes at the end when we're 4 or 5 nil up. :devil:

I'm sure a trialist will need a temporary registration or something.

Nope. check page 180 article 122 of the SFL regulations headed 'PLAYING OF PLAYERS WITHOUT REGISTRATION'.

122. PLAYING OF PLAYERS WITHOUT REGISTRATION

No more than two Trialists from any grade of football may be allowed to

play, or be listed as a substitute for any club in any Championship match

up to and including 31st March in any season.

122.1 Each Trialist may be allowed to play in, or be listed as a substitute for, a

maximum of three games for any one club, provided he is otherwise eligible

to do so. Clubs playing a player in these circumstances must indicate the

fact by adding the words “not registered” after such player’s name and

address, place and date of birth, previous club, and the country in which he

last played, in the list of players in their Report of Result of the game.

122.2 Trialists, in accordance with the terms of this Rule and Rule 123

(Transfer/Temporary Transfer of Registration During Currency of Contract),

may not play or be listed as a substitute in any Championship match after

31st March in any season except with the prior consent of the Board.

'

Edited by UCF2008