SFLâ??s EBT Fury

PRESSURE last night mounted on the SPL and SFA as the Scottish League revealed they booted OUT calls for Rangers to be stripped of trophies.

A top SFL source confirmed yesterdayâ??s SunSport exclusive that Hampden bosses wanted Rangers stripped of nine trophies.

Our source said: â??We were given a first draft of proposed sanctions on June 25 â?? and we sent it back the same day saying we wanted no part of it.

â??That was the unequivocal SFL stance for a very simple reason â?? in this country youâ??re innocent until proven guilty.

â??At the time we were asked to strip Rangers of their League Cup wins, they hadnâ??t been charged with a thing.

â??When we received the letter on June 25 it hadnâ??t been discussed in any shape or form. It was simply presented to us and we felt its contents, frankly, were outrageous.

â??It smacked of a witchhunt and we said we wouldnâ??t be party to it.

â??Charles Green was quoted during the week as saying the whole process investigating Rangers was â??fundamentally misconceivedâ?? and we agree with that 100 per cent.

â??Itâ??s clear from the documents you have seen that sanctions were being openly discussed before anyone had been found guilty of anything.

â??The Sun has now seen that this paperwork exists and the SFA and SPL would do themselves a big favour by forgetting this notion of stripping Rangers of titles.â?

The SFLâ??s hardline stance is bound to put the other two ruling bodies under pressure to explain their reasons for wanting to punish Gers in this way.

The top brass wanted Gersâ?? owner Green to accept being stripped of nine trophies â?? five SPL titles and four Scottish Cups â?? in exchange for the newco having the chance to be parachuted into Division One.

But there was no mention of the six League Cups Rangers won during the spell in question.

Green flatly rejected the offer as Gers have yet to be found guilty of any misuse of EBTs.

An independent commission â?? appointed by the SPL â?? will begin a hearing on November 13 regarding the alleged undisclosed payments.

Rangers have already refused to co-operate with the hearing â?? and Green faces SFA Judicial Panel charges for his comments about the process.

But Lord Nimmo Smith has hit back at critics, insisting the commission he will chair IS fully independent of the SPL.

He said: â??Itâ??s fundamental to the constitution of a body with investigatory and disciplinary powers, such as the present commission, that it must act independently of the person or body appointing it.

â??None of us would have accepted this appointment on any other basis.â?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4552496/SFLs-EBT-Fury.html#ixzz27FDUquJl

This report cranks up the pressure and is great to see but I can't see what good it will do at this stage. The process is under way and there is no way it will stop now. The important phrase is "innocent until proven guilty", so presumably if we are found guilty the SFL will accept it.

They will not fine us or face the threat of legal action from HMRC, so it will be stripping of titles or innocent.

This report cranks up the pressure and is great to see but I can't see what good it will do at this stage. The process is under way and there is no way it will stop now. The important phrase is "innocent until proven guilty", so presumably if we are found guilty the SFL will accept it.

They will not fine us or face the threat of legal action from HMRC, so it will be stripping of titles or innocent.

I genuinely don't get your logic.

The SFL are saying we're innocent until proven guilty, so the SFA/SPL assumption of guilt makes a mockery of their process and is tantamount to a witch hunt.

Also, the HMRC process isn't to prove innocence or guilt, it's to identify whether a legal scheme which we (and others) operated is taxable. If it is we'd be liable to pay back the tax. It's not about guilty or not guilty.

That's why the SFA/SFA process is a sham, as the EBT debate is between us and HMRC, and nobody else needs be involved. The SFA/SPL have known we used EBTs since we started using them, so why wait the best part of 15 years to decide they're 'illegal' for Scottish teams?

I genuinely don't get your logic.

The SFL are saying we're innocent until proven guilty, so the SFA/SPL assumption of guilt makes a mockery of their process and is tantamount to a witch hunt.

Also, the HMRC process isn't to prove innocence or guilt, it's to identify whether a legal scheme which we (and others) operated is taxable. If it is we'd be liable to pay back the tax. It's not about guilty or not guilty.

That's why the SFA/SFA process is a sham, as the EBT debate is between us and HMRC, and nobody else needs be involved. The SFA/SPL have known we used EBTs since we started using them, so why wait the best part of 15 years to decide they're 'illegal' for Scottish teams?

Exactly! We need to demand answers from the SPL and SFA and an official statement from the SFL.

If we get a favourable decision from the HMRC hearing I don't think they can touch us without it being the most blatant stitch-up ever. And if it's too blatant UEFA won't be able to ignore it.

What I am saying is that it is unlikely to stop the process that has started. The Commission answered this in their statement yesterday in response to Rangers objections. While the views of this person concur with ours and it is great to see, I cannot see the SPL cancelling the whole thing. They rae far too arrogant for that.

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was referring to a scenario where the Commission decide to fine us. In his statement Lord Nimmo Smith set out that to fine the Oldco would be taking money from the creditors pot and leave them open to litigation. The enquiry is about whether these payments were contractual, not the fact we operated them.

I know that, you know that, everybody knows that but it hasn't stopped them. We all know it is a witch hunt, now someone from the SFL has said it, what difference will it make?

Edited by Blue Moon