Are we ready for the re naming of Ibrox?

Guest cail

CHARLES GREEN could rename Ibrox — in a bid to inject fresh millions into Rangers.

The Gers owner told fans that stadium sponsorship IS on the agenda during a meeting on Thursday night.

Gaffer Ally McCoist is open-minded on the topic — but insists diehard Bluenoses MUST be consulted before the historic decision is taken.

He said: “The good thing is that we are having dialogue straight away. I know for a fact the supporters groups WILL be involved.

“You have seen the value of the supporters to this club over the past six to eight months.

“So the least they deserve is a voice and an opinion on big, big decisions like that.

“I can see both arguments when you look at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium and things like that.

“I would take a view that I have to be guided by what is best for the club and the support.

“I can understand the old traditionalists not wanting it. But I can also understand people moving forward and looking at the longer-term financial benefit to the club.

“I am open-minded on it and at this moment I don’t sit in either camp.

“But for it to happen I would think the deal would have to be of the extreme benefit of the football club.”

Green is set to meet SFA President Campbell Ogilvie in the coming weeks in a bid to end their long-running feud.

McCoist is happy to be involved and believes Gers’ broken relationship with the SFA CAN be fixed.

He said: “The relationship is repairable. In the interests of both bodies, and indeed Scottish football, we need to have a healthy working relationship.

“Within that, there will be disagreements and arguments. But they are the governing body of our game so we have to work together.

“We want to get on with it. For the betterment of Scottish football, there has to be dialogue between the SFA and a club like ourselves.

“We have to appreciate that our views will be different on certain things but also that we respect each other’s position.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4574697/New-Ibrox-name-plan.html#ixzz28TOdImrt

I'd welcome it. As many say Ibrox will still be Ibrox. But i do understand why some traditionalists wouldn't want it. If it doesn't happen i'm fine with that too.

What people should bear in mind is the main stand, being a listed building can't be touched so there's no danger of a sponsor being plastered over that great building.

Im not against renaming if it is good investment but the problem lies with the situation similar to Newcastle renaming St James' Pk to Sports direct. How many people will still refer to Ibrox? Will Sponsors eventually pull out due to that reason?

For me the great stadiums are more than just a name. We cant compare to Emirates because it was a new stadium altogether. Had Highbury been renamed it would still been Highbury. Can you imagine Anfield or Old trafford being renamed to the British Airways Arena? No it woudlnt work.

Man Citys stadium has had 3 names but because its still a very new stadium people havent cemented any attachments with it. The City of Manchester Stadium, Eastlands and now Etihad havent had enough time.

Then you look at West Ham. How many people refer to the real name of their stadium The Boleyn Ground! I used to go there every week and it was / is always Upton Park.

Ibrox is also more than a name, its pretty much the place around the stadium. Therefore the new name will have to be something specatular and catchy for it to work or may have to include Ibrox in it. They cant just rename it, the internals or features would have to be changed. Say if we went for the Adidas arena (seen as they are going to be making our strips from next season AT LAST) then the ground would have to have an Adidas theme and feel to it.

As said I am not against it but simply changing a name doesnt work especially with such a famous name.

Money isn't everything.

So the answer is NO.

I totally respect your opinion, but surely it's a question of the amount and the need? If someone had offered us £100m in February for the perpetual naming rights for the stadium and we could have avoided the living nightmare of a summer we suffered, you'd have taken it, correct?

I totally respect your opinion, but surely it's a question of the amount and the need? If someone had offered us £100m in February for the perpetual naming rights for the stadium and we could have avoided the living nightmare of a summer we suffered, you'd have taken it, correct?

If someone had offered us £100m his name would probably been Whyte, or someone of that ilk.

I could give you a spiel about, what is it about the modern world putting a monetary value on everything, but I don't have the time.

I will just say, doing this will perpetuate the perception of Rangers will do anything for money, from tax fiddling to selling their history [how it might look to a neutral].

So no I will never change my mind, and will think less of the Supporters who agree with it.

If someone had offered us £100m his name would probably been Whyte, or someone of that ilk.

I could give you a spiel about, what is it about the modern world putting a monetary value on everything, but I don't have the time.

I will just say, doing this will perpetuate the perception of Rangers will do anything for money, from tax fiddling to selling their history [how it might look to a neutral].

So no I will never change my mind, and will think less of the Supporters who agree with it.

Getting rid of the Arsenal shares was selling history, this would change nothing other than what the commentators say on TV.

Getting rid of the Arsenal shares was selling history, this would change nothing other than what the commentators say on TV.

What have the Arsenal shares to do with it. Nobody was consulted.

I find that nowadays. Everything is NOW, no looking back or forward.