SCOTLAND manager Craig Levein last night pleaded to stay in his job.

Levein faces the axe after Friday night’s World Cup loss to Wales — but insists he’s “one little ingredient” away from glory.

A dismal defeat in Cardiff leaves Scotland second bottom of Group A before Tuesday’s visit to table-toppers Belgium — with almost no hope left of reaching the 2014 Finals. That’s heaped the pressure on Levein who’s won only three of 11 competitive games since his arrival in December 2009.

But asked if he expected to get time in the post, he replied: “I hope so. I have a way of doing things that I believe is right. I’m doing the best job I possibly can.”

The SFA party line was that neither chief executive Stewart Regan nor president Campbell Ogilvie would make any comment on the national team until after Tuesday’s game.

But Regan will come under the spotlight and Levein said: “He’s a strong man, a very strong man.

“I want to do this job, certainly into the World Cup in Brazil.

“I’ve love more than anything to be the Scotland manager going there and I still believe we’re capable.

“From my own point of view I’m extremely proud to have this job. I’m resilient, if nothing else — and I 100 per cent believe we’re heading in the right direction.

“I am trying my damnedest to build some kind of foundation, to play a certain way. But we need to get a little break here and there, to let everybody see it’s progressing.

“I felt sick after Friday because there’s a lot of hard work behind the scenes. There are a lot of good things happening.”

Skipper Darren Fletcher did speak out to back his manager.

The Manchester United midfielder said: “Of course we’re behind him.

“I know that players sometimes just say that but we genuinely are.

“We believe in the manager and we believe in the group that we’ve got.”

Quizzed as to whether he’d discuss his position with Regan, Levein added: “I want us to concentrate on what’s possible on Tuesday.

“We’re one little ingredient away from getting it right and if I honestly thought we were heading in the wrong direction and it wasn’t working then that would be the time to have a discussion.”

Scott Brown is back in Scotland after being subbed in Cardiff and won’t play on Tuesday.

Charlie Adam (back), Andy Webster (ankle) and James Forrest (groin) are doubtful and Levein will decide about calling someone into the squad today but skipper Fletcher is fit.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4588394/Im-so-close-to-getting-this-right.html#ixzz29EEQgsga

Scotland could lose again but some dodgy decision against the team will give Levein a lifeline as he wont get sacked due to the unfairness of the situation.

But bollocks to that he shouldnt even have been given the job in the first place.

Should add that the SFA need a good overhaul. Vogts, Burley and Levein all appointed and ruined things and themselves. You wonder who would take the job.

Walter wasnt a yes man but they were desperate and he put the team right back on the road again. Had Le Guen worked out at Rangers then Scotland would have played in another tournament by now. Walter must return.

We should phone Harry Redknapp and say what he has to say. He'd probably knock it back but it's worth the phonecall.

Walter or Chesney for me.

Yip definetely at least ask him. He wont ever get the England job now and cant see him getting a top job in the Premier League for a while. He'd only go to a team with money. Liverpool are the only possibility if Rodgers doesnt work out.

Walter is by far the No.1 choice but Strachan or Dod Graham would be good with Joe Jordan and Gary McAllister as assistants. Just comparing those names to Levein and Houston is funny.