jig signs new deal

Sounds like an imagined slight. The kind of nonsense you only get on football forums. Never known a captain to come running over and congratulate every player for entering the field of play.

Gotta agree with BD here. McCulloch is good for this. It has been commented on this forum recently of McCulloch getting young players to get their head up after a mistake.

who is asking him to congratulate him? hahaha a simple wee, good luck son, all the best barrie, get intae them barrie, we need a bit flair theday son would have been nice, an acknowledgement by the captain the least he deserved.

Sounds like an imagined slight. The kind of nonsense you only get on football forums. Never known a captain to come running over and congratulate every player for entering the field of play.

Gotta agree with BD here. McCulloch is good for this. It has been commented on this forum recently of McCulloch getting young players to get their head up after a mistake.

He can be too nice at times for my liking, a bit of encouragement is fine but there are times when a good old verbal boot up the backside is needed.

I've seen him do it in all the games that I've been at this season.

So are you now saying he does do it but just in a different way? Which is it?

Alexander shouts at the defence, but I've not noticed him shouting at the midfield and he can hardly do it it to anyone when they are in the other half.

So what did Alexander do when McKay came on the park?

I'm not arguing that McCulloch is perfect as a captain, but he's by far the best we've got, in my opniion.

its not as simple as black and white. unless no he doesnt and not in the same way should have been in the same sentence? i didnt mean it as two different statements. apologies.

then how do we expect mcculloch to shout at defenders or even the goalie when he is stuck away up front himself?

alexander wasnt in the shot, the camera was on lee and barrie so i cant really answer that bd.

he may well be, i am not so sure, i just dont like strikers being captains. i have never really been a fan of them.

Some people on here see being the captain of Rangers as a very one dimensional role, it's not, it's an important role but not so much for what happens on the pitch. Frankly short of the toss of the coin and speaking to the ref if there is a problem the captain of any team doesn't have much to do during a game except ensure their own standard of play. The management and coaches set up the team, the formation and tactics, each player knows before he goes on the pitch what's expected of him and getting messages onto the pitch during a match is done relatively easily. If he happens to be an inspirational player in some way then that's a bonus too.

The captain's role is far more important away from the pitch. It's the captain's job to ensure new players are welcomed and settled, young players assimilate into the first team squad, guys out of the starting 11 have someone to 'bitch' too, injured players still feel part of the squad. He needs to act as a shop steward for the players in discussions with the management and owners, he should be the guy players go to if they've a grievance or concern and should be able to provide the club management with a trusted point of contact to the squad. He needs to speak to the media, and ensure others do too, he needs to make sure players are available for supporters clubs, for hospital and school visits and the other community work done by players we rarely hear about.

To do this well he needs to be experienced, trusted by management and players alike, respected, with a strong enough personality to stand his ground when needed but the intelligence to know when to give and take.

On top of that the captain of Rangers should understand what the club means to its support and ideally should be steeped in the club themselves. I accept we've had a some very good captains who weren't though.

Being the captain of Rangers still means something, or it should. Whatever our current predicament we are still the most successful club in the world and the biggest and most popular in the country, being the captain of Rangers is an honour, it should be the pinnacle of any players career.

For what it's worth I think Lee McCulluch ticks a fair number of those boxes.

Some people on here see being the captain of Rangers as a very one dimensional role, it's not, it's an important role but not so much for what happens on the pitch. Frankly short of the toss of the coin and speaking to the ref if there is a problem the captain of any team doesn't have much to do during a game except ensure their own standard of play. The management and coaches set up the team, the formation and tactics, each player knows before he goes on the pitch what's expected of him and getting messages onto the pitch during a match is done relatively easily. If he happens to be an inspirational player in some way then that's a bonus too.

The captain's role is far more important away from the pitch. It's the captain's job to ensure new players are welcomed and settled, young players assimilate into the first team squad, guys out of the starting 11 have someone to 'bitch' too, injured players still feel part of the squad. He needs to act as a shop steward for the players in discussions with the management and owners, he should be the guy players go to if they've a grievance or concern and should be able to provide the club management with a trusted point of contact to the squad. He needs to speak to the media, and ensure others do too, he needs to make sure players are available for supporters clubs, for hospital and school visits and the other community work done by players we rarely hear about.

To do this well he needs to be experienced, trusted by management and players alike, respected, with a strong enough personality to stand his ground when needed but the intelligence to know when to give and take.

On top of that the captain of Rangers should understand what the club means to its support and ideally should be steeped in the club themselves. I accept we've had a some very good captains who weren't though.

Being the captain of Rangers still means something, or it should. Whatever our current predicament we are still the most successful club in the world and the biggest and most popular in the country, being the captain of Rangers is an honour, it should be the pinnacle of any players career.

For what it's worth I think Lee McCulluch ticks a fair number of those boxes.

i agree with just about everything you say there. you say it very well too.

on the bold bit though, can you show some facts and figures to back that up? after the complete doing our club has had over the last decade by just about everyone from with the game and outside the game, i am struggling to believe we are the most popular and after losing several players to celtic over the last 5 years and financially being so inferior to them, i would like to see concrete evidence that we are indeed "bigger".

i agree with just about everything you say there. you say it very well too.

on the bold bit though, can you show some facts and figures to back that up? after the complete doing our club has had over the last decade by just about everyone from with the game and outside the game, i am struggling to believe we are the most popular and after losing several players to celtic over the last 5 years and financially being so inferior to them, i would like to see concrete evidence that we are indeed "bigger".

I'd say the attendance figures for this year show we're the best supported team in the country. Whether that makes us the biggest or most popular is debatable - both terms could be interpretted in a number of ways.