Top 28 Rangers heroes/legends

Neilly Gibson

Douglas Lamming's 'Who's Who' of Scottish internationalists says he was a "wing-half among the greatest in football history" and was one of the earliest exponents of the back heel ploy. He was born in Larkhall on 23/2/1873 and played for Larkhall Thistle, Larkhall Juniors and Royal Albert before joining Rangers in November 1894.

With Rangers he won four league titles in succession (1898-99-1901-02), and three Scottish Cup Winner's medals - 1897, 1898, 1903 (though he only played in the first two matches of the 1903 Final). He also played in the losing Final of 1899. He won 14 full international caps and played 11 times for the Scottish League. All of these honours save his last full international cap were won as a Rangers player. His final cap came after he moved to Partick Thistle in 1904.

He played 157 league games for Rangers, scoring 12 times and 35 Scottish Cup matches, scoring 10 goals. For Thistle he played in 102 league games and scored six goals. He also played in nine Scottish Cup ties for the Jags but scored no goals.

Of course at this time there were many other competitions such as the Glasgow Cup, Glasgow Charity Cup, Glasgow League etc in which first elevens were often fielded and he played in over 100 such games for Rangers and around another twenty for Thistle. He received a benefit match at Ibrox against Celtic in 1904.

What about "The Prince of Goalkeepers" the greatest ever 'Gers keeper before "The Goalie"

8160899545_ff6de70db4_z.jpg

James "Jerry" Dawson.

Good call. Strange to see him not in a yellow jersey. He was also called "the prince in the yellow jersey"

Good wee fact. Dawson's real name was James Dawson and was called "Jerry" after the great Burnley keeper Jerry Dawson

Edited by Max Rebo's Big Blue Nose

Yeah, you need to set some sort of criteria here mate, if it's going to be reduced down to 28, and it can be, then rules are needed. Number of appearances, international honours, trophies won, time spent at the club, influence on the club whilst there or after they left. Guys like Eric Caldow, George Young and Bobby Shearer have to be included, but going further back Tom Vallance is a huge figure in Rangers history, Alex Smith was at Rangers for 14 years and won 20 caps at a time when Scotland only played 3 or 4 matches a season, these guys records far exceed many of the players we idolise today.

Hi Guys

I have a wee favour to ask the knowledgable throng that is Gersnet. I work as an Illustrator/Designer and I am currently working on a football related project focusing on club greats/legends that I hope will be available online soon. The illustrations/prints will take the form of a grid stlye that depicts 28 greats from our history. (ie. 4 rows of 7 players making up the grid)

Anyway' date=' I'm in the process of editing the 28 names that could be regarded as Rangers legends/heroes/greats that will go onto this print and was wondering if anybody could comment on my list and maybe add any suggestions to help me get the definitive list. Here is my current list as it stands:

1. Moses McNeil

2. Alan Morton

3. Bill Struth

4. Davie Meiklejohn

5. Bob McPhail

6. George Young

7. Jock Shaw

8. Willie Waddell

9. Eric Caldow

10. John Greig

11. Jim Baxter

12. Scott Symon

13. Davie Wilson

14. Jimmy Millar

15. Tommy McLean

16. Alex McDonald

17. Derek Johnstone

18. Jock Wallace

19. Davie Cooper

20. Sandy Jardine

21. Graeme Souness

22. Ally McCoist

23. Andy Goram

24. Richard Gough

25. Brian Laudrup

26. Davie Weir

27. Willie Henderson

28. Walter Smith

Others I considered...Willie Woodburn, Ronnie McKinnon, Ralph Brand, Peter McCloy, Willie Mathieson, Paul Gascoine, Barry Ferguson, Ian Durrant. There are names that I may have overlooked but I need to stick to the 28 names

If this is not suitable for this forum please feel free to delete or move to another section. Thanks in advance, Max Rebo[/quote']

I have not read through this whole thread. But, how can you have a list of Ranger greats that misses out 3 of the four young lads who formed the club and Tom Vallance ????

It will be hard to keep it to 28. Some others that could be on the list from recent era:

Jorg Albertz

Dado Prso

Ian Ferguson (got all 9IAR medals)

Nacho Novo

Gordon Durie

Stefan Klos

Arthur Numan

Davie Robertson

Of these I would think that Stefan Klos would be a strong candidate.