HMRC e-petition

What Is To Be Done?

There's a petition online, raised by concerned Rangers fans, which attempts to raise 100,000 signatures in order to force a debate in Parliament on the illegal leaking of information by an employee or employees of HMRC, regarding all that Rangersy tax stuff. This is worth doing, but I should point out that there are severe limitations as regards what will happen; but more of that later.

As of this writing (Sunday evening), there are some 20,000+ signatories to the petition. Given that the time limit is a year from original publishing, which was last Friday, there seems little doubt that the required figure will be reached. How best, then, to get there quickly, while blood is still on the boil?

First, we need a home game. As far as I can see, Elgin at home next Sunday is the first home match. That may be a little soon to arrange the following, so the match v Stirling Albion on December 8 may be a better bet.

If it is at all possible, we require 30 or so volunteers to be around the ground that day, either outside or inside on concourses. I would foresee police problems with the latter, though. Each volunteer would need a loud mouthed 'barker' to drum up trade, so to speak ( I would be well up for that job!), doing the 'roll up, roll up, fight for your club' spiel and aiming for 500 signatories each. The biggest problem with this is that, as a group, we tend to turn up 10 minutes before kick off at best and, if you're anything like me, sprint for the khazi before the game starts...not much time to stand in a queue of 10 fans and sign up to anything.

But for publicity purposes alone, and to reach out to the offline fan, such a gesture needs to be made. I can't believe an appeal on RM or FF would fail to drum up 20 fans who have laptops and the required knowledge to help technophobe Bears to sign up.

The main tactic, though, has to be to work through the Supporters' Clubs. RSC secretaries need to get on the ball with this one, and make sure every name on their roll has signed the petition. Any fan without an email address can quickly whip up a temporary and disposable account; if secretaries don't know how to do this, a workshop needs to be set up so that they can go back to their RSC and ensure 100% signatures.

Even if this is organised for after Christmas there would still be time. It just needs done. We can ask the club for a room in which to hold the workshop, failing that one of the bigger RSC's could offer the use of their meeting hall. This needs organization, but it is not exactly rocket science. That, plus the names of fans who do not belong to any supporters' club, ought to see us to the 100,000 number,

Further, we could offer Charles Green, not a man to reject a publicity opportunity, the chance to be signature 100,000 before the cameras. It did occur to me to offer it to David Murray, but this smacks of bad taste.Plenty would say the matter is a Murray one rather than a Green one, but remember - Rangers then, Rangers now.

All that, just to find out who has broken the law. Or will it? I don't think so. The e-petition only obliges the business committie to consider holding a debate on the matter, and all it would require is a desultory statement from Strathclyde Police that they were investigating and that committie would immediately say there was nothing they could do in the meantime; the Police may quietly attempt to drop the matter. As we have seen from Leveson, their fingers are not completely clean when it comes to dealing with illegally obtained information.

Even if there was a debate, probably the most that would come from it would be that we could see, publicly, who was willing to speak and what their stance regarding us is.

But it's still worth it, because it will get Rangers fans used to political organizing and agitation. I'm all for dignified silence, but it needs to be backed up with a known power; in our case, weight of numbers. Let diddy commentators and clubs tease and mock us; in the end, I doubt many of us care what Dundee United or Kilmarnock think of us.

I'm not asking for special treatment, or that we should never be mocked or jeered at. I am asking that we are allowed to play football without attempts being made on our life. Coming after the incidents involving Neil Lennon parcel bombs some years ago, there's a certain irony here. Now we've seen what it's like, I hope no Rangers fan will now ever think of the people who sent them as anything other than horrible, sick people...it shouldn't have taken this for that to be clear, obviously, but for some it probably does.

We do, though, need to let media bodies and, especially, Pacific Quay know that, go too far, and the power of the largest support in the country will be mobilised against them. This whole thing went far beyond rivalry or mockery into an attempt to deprive me of watching Rangers on the grounds that, since I am a Bear, ergo propter hoc I am a rabid bigot with sectarian impulses, barely able to contain the urge to attack any Catholics I may happen to pass. Apparently the ability to recognise peoples' religions as we pass them comes when you put a Blue scarf around your neck. If only the scarf came with other superpowers, like recognising lunatic owners when they march down Edmiston Drive, or forcing Super Ally to make that crucial tactical switch apparently only you can see...

To sum up:

online registration points (beside programme sellers?) outside Ibrox on match days;

workshops for RSC secretaries to ensure all RSC members are signed up;

exploit publicity opportunities & especially Charles' fondness for them;

heighten awareness of the political power a Club with, at a guess, 1,000,000 followers hold.

This is a chance, a real chance. I hope we don't blow it.

Posted by Andy Steel

http://andypendek.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/what-is-to-be-done.html

What Is To Be Done?

There's a petition online, raised by concerned Rangers fans, which attempts to raise 100,000 signatures in order to force a debate in Parliament on the illegal leaking of information by an employee or employees of HMRC, regarding all that Rangersy tax stuff. This is worth doing, but I should point out that there are severe limitations as regards what will happen; but more of that later.

As of this writing (Sunday evening), there are some 20,000+ signatories to the petition. Given that the time limit is a year from original publishing, which was last Friday, there seems little doubt that the required figure will be reached. How best, then, to get there quickly, while blood is still on the boil?

First, we need a home game. As far as I can see, Elgin at home next Sunday is the first home match. That may be a little soon to arrange the following, so the match v Stirling Albion on December 8 may be a better bet.

If it is at all possible, we require 30 or so volunteers to be around the ground that day, either outside or inside on concourses. I would foresee police problems with the latter, though. Each volunteer would need a loud mouthed 'barker' to drum up trade, so to speak ( I would be well up for that job!), doing the 'roll up, roll up, fight for your club' spiel and aiming for 500 signatories each. The biggest problem with this is that, as a group, we tend to turn up 10 minutes before kick off at best and, if you're anything like me, sprint for the khazi before the game starts...not much time to stand in a queue of 10 fans and sign up to anything.

But for publicity purposes alone, and to reach out to the offline fan, such a gesture needs to be made. I can't believe an appeal on RM or FF would fail to drum up 20 fans who have laptops and the required knowledge to help technophobe Bears to sign up.

The main tactic, though, has to be to work through the Supporters' Clubs. RSC secretaries need to get on the ball with this one, and make sure every name on their roll has signed the petition. Any fan without an email address can quickly whip up a temporary and disposable account; if secretaries don't know how to do this, a workshop needs to be set up so that they can go back to their RSC and ensure 100% signatures.

Even if this is organised for after Christmas there would still be time. It just needs done. We can ask the club for a room in which to hold the workshop, failing that one of the bigger RSC's could offer the use of their meeting hall. This needs organization, but it is not exactly rocket science. That, plus the names of fans who do not belong to any supporters' club, ought to see us to the 100,000 number,

Further, we could offer Charles Green, not a man to reject a publicity opportunity, the chance to be signature 100,000 before the cameras. It did occur to me to offer it to David Murray, but this smacks of bad taste.Plenty would say the matter is a Murray one rather than a Green one, but remember - Rangers then, Rangers now.

All that, just to find out who has broken the law. Or will it? I don't think so. The e-petition only obliges the business committie to consider holding a debate on the matter, and all it would require is a desultory statement from Strathclyde Police that they were investigating and that committie would immediately say there was nothing they could do in the meantime; the Police may quietly attempt to drop the matter. As we have seen from Leveson, their fingers are not completely clean when it comes to dealing with illegally obtained information.

Even if there was a debate, probably the most that would come from it would be that we could see, publicly, who was willing to speak and what their stance regarding us is.

But it's still worth it, because it will get Rangers fans used to political organizing and agitation. I'm all for dignified silence, but it needs to be backed up with a known power; in our case, weight of numbers. Let diddy commentators and clubs tease and mock us; in the end, I doubt many of us care what Dundee United or Kilmarnock think of us.

I'm not asking for special treatment, or that we should never be mocked or jeered at. I am asking that we are allowed to play football without attempts being made on our life. Coming after the incidents involving Neil Lennon parcel bombs some years ago, there's a certain irony here. Now we've seen what it's like, I hope no Rangers fan will now ever think of the people who sent them as anything other than horrible, sick people...it shouldn't have taken this for that to be clear, obviously, but for some it probably does.

We do, though, need to let media bodies and, especially, Pacific Quay know that, go too far, and the power of the largest support in the country will be mobilised against them. This whole thing went far beyond rivalry or mockery into an attempt to deprive me of watching Rangers on the grounds that, since I am a Bear, ergo propter hoc I am a rabid bigot with sectarian impulses, barely able to contain the urge to attack any Catholics I may happen to pass. Apparently the ability to recognise peoples' religions as we pass them comes when you put a Blue scarf around your neck. If only the scarf came with other superpowers, like recognising lunatic owners when they march down Edmiston Drive, or forcing Super Ally to make that crucial tactical switch apparently only you can see...

To sum up:

online registration points (beside programme sellers?) outside Ibrox on match days;

workshops for RSC secretaries to ensure all RSC members are signed up;

exploit publicity opportunities & especially Charles' fondness for them;

heighten awareness of the political power a Club with, at a guess, 1,000,000 followers hold.

This is a chance, a real chance. I hope we don't blow it.

Posted by Andy Steel

http://andypendek.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/what-is-to-be-done.html

Where the hell is Andy anyway?

lifted of FF

My MP (Andrew Murrison - South Wiltshire) has asked me if I want him to write to the treasury about the need for an investigation into HMRC (and its leaks), I have replied 'Yes Please'.

Hi Steve, we ALL must write to our MPs to make sure these "Official Secrets" (leaks) no longer happen again !

It's bad enough that we have been sriously wounded but what if such information concerning other entities, Companies working for MoD for example, had their dealings readily available to the highest bidder.

Safeguards must be put in place to prevent this ever happening again!

I have written to HMRC concerning this and received a positive and concerned reply.

My responder was RUSSELL, Lesley (lesley.russell@parliament.uk)15/11/2012

Please feel free to voice your requests to this Public Servant.

Where the hell is Andy anyway?

I really miss his contributions - they were always interesting, amusing, and extremely well written.

I could be wrong, but I think his disappearance co-incided with a time when there were a couple of politically charged threads dominating the board. Going by some of his previous posts, it seems like the sort of thing that would have turned him off the forum.

Maybe we could start an e-petition to get Andy back on gersnet?

i sent a email to the RFFF got a reply

Thank you for your mail, the epetition is moving along quite well and as

you know the target is 100k signatures.

This will provoke the powers that be, to at least talk about the HMRC's

actions and the signatories concerns at the highest level.

At that stage we can look and see if further assistance can be offered

from the fund.

As you will be aware the SPL are still continuing with their action

against our club via, supposed dual contracts.

This is what we have to keep the fund for, once this group individuals

sees common sense and brings this matter to a satisfactory conclusion,

then that is when we can look at the best direction of all monies.

A meeting will called at Ibrox for supporters groups to debate the

direction of every single penny of the fund.

We thank you for your input and valued support, wishing you well Stephen.

yours faithfully, Jim Riddell.

I really miss his contributions - they were always interesting, amusing, and extremely well written.

I could be wrong, but I think his disappearance co-incided with a time when there were a couple of politically charged threads dominating the board. Going by some of his previous posts, it seems like the sort of thing that would have turned him off the forum.

Maybe we could start an e-petition to get Andy back on gersnet?

Zappa said at the time someone had told him he was leaving the forum because of that kind of thing, sadly it would appear it was Andy.