HMRC-set to appeal

Word is they are using part of Poons final judgement as the reason.

has to be point of law as I understand. The lawyers rejected it (presumably from a legal perspective) Poon is , I believe, a tax accountant who would have us all believe everything & anything is taxable.

has to be point of law as I understand. The lawyers rejected it (presumably from a legal perspective) Poon is , I believe, a tax accountant who would have us all believe everything & anything is taxable.

Seems a strange one right enough.

Mate telling me its the Ramsay something that she thinks the judges haven't applied properly.

Edited by GovanAllan

Andrudolph Dickson@rfc_dickson

The BBC fail to disappoint in their latest piece today with yet more mumbo jumbo about Rangers being a new club, spreading lies for fun now

I'm surprised the BBC can find time to write about Rangers.

Is this what they get up to when they're prevented from exposing children to paedophiles and televising it?

Seems a strange one right enough.

Mate telling me its the Ramsay something that she thinks the judges haven't applied properly.

I believe that the whole case turns on how the Ramsay precedent is applied.

BBC Article:

HM Revenue and Customs has said it will seek permission to appeal against a tax tribunal ruling in favour of Rangers' use of Employee Benefit Trusts.

The club, which is now in liquidation, used the scheme from 2001 to 2010 to make £47.65m in payments to players and staff in the form of tax-free loans.

HMRC had challenged the payments, arguing that they were illegal.

Rangers disputed the bill and a First Tier Tax Tribunal (FTT) ruled the scheme did not breach tax law.

In a majority decision, the tribunal said the payments - of about £49m - were loans, not earnings, and so were not liable for income tax.

The old Rangers was under the control of Sir David Murray when it began using EBTs.

He sold the club for £1 to Scottish businessman Craig Whyte in 2011, while the tax liability was in dispute.

The FTT, before three judges, concluded in January, one month before the old Rangers, now under the control of Mr Whyte, was forced into administration by HMRC over non-payment of tax totalling about £14m.

HMRC subsequently rejected proposals for a creditors agreement that would have allowed the old club to continue.

Administrators Duff and Phelps then negotiated a sale of assets to a consortium led by Charles Green for £5.5m.

He has since formed a new club, now playing in the Scottish Football League Third Division.

Should an appeal be granted and should it be "successful", what will HMRC gain financially against an already insolvent owner ?

That's the real head-scratcher.

I've heard it suggested that it'll open the door for HMRC to have a go at some of the English premier league clubs. I wonder if they'll be threatened with the stripping of any trophies won during the periods under investigation...