The Apocalypse cometh...

I've lost count of the number of times I've watched Apocalypse Now, and yet despite countless viewings, I'm still undecided on Willard's feelings at the end towards Kurtz strategy. Did he sympathise or find the tactics abhorrent ?

For the younger bears out there who may not yet have enjoyed this Coppola classic - the story revolves around a special forces commander Col Kurtz (Marlon Brando) who had gone rogue. Frustrated with fighting an enemy who won't play by the rules Kurtz embarks on an unconventional and irregular strategy of doing unto others as they would do unto you. Except worse. Much worse in fact. Suffice to say that the words Geneva convention did not feature in the Brando's unconventional and irregular strategy. So much so that the Pentagon despatches another special forces operative, Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) to bring closure to Kurtz's regime.

Of course unconventional and irregular doesn't have to contain the element of brutality. During the Falklands war I served in a commando unit who did much of it's fighting behind enemy lines. We operated on a mantra of the three d's - disruption, destruction and demoralising. Post war a summation of our role was described as “unconventional, irregular but highly effective" Without I may add, the element of brutality espoused by Col Kurtz aforesaid.

These last few months have seen the Rangers support face an enemy who, like Brando's adversaries refused to play by the rules. Our club was branded guilty without trial, our chairman blackmailed by those who are expected to display governance, fairness and justice. But injustice did not stop at Rangers doorstep. SFL chairmen were bullied, intimidated and threatened to embark on a course of action which ran contrary to any sense of natural justice. Unlawful and unjust sanctions were imposed upon our club. Shame on them.

The Scottish press participated in the bloodfest labelling us cheats tax dodgers and much worse. Government agencies breached criminal law in the stampede to damage or club beyond repair. Internet bloggers manipulated government agency leaks in an effort to further destabilise or club. This bloodfest became an unstoppable force whose intent was clear – the death and destruction of Rangers FC.

Scotland became the scene of the eternal cosmic conundrum - the unstoppable force versus the immovable object. Two forces propelled by those timeless human emotions – love and hate.

And at at the end of carnage there was only one left standing. The immovable object - the Rangers support. Driven by love rather than hatred, and against all rational thought and soothsayers of doom, the Rangers support proved to be the unflinching and unbeatable vanguard of Rangers football club. Their love for a football club, which for many symbolises their very identity, was put to the test. They were not found to be wanting.

It's perhaps symptomatic of the problem, that press reporters outside Scotland, from far flung continents, want to report on the supporters who would not let their club die. Perhaps those Japanese reporters at Ibrox recently felt the unflinching loyalty and devotion of the Rangers support in the face of adversity would resonate in a culture which still holds the values of the Samurai in high regard.

Its against this backdrop that the boycott of Rangers forthcoming Scottish Cup tie at Tannadice could therefore be described as both unconventional and irregular if not surprising. Dundee United chairman Stephen Thomson epitomised everything which was wrong with Scotland during the Rangers crisis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18365480

No Stephen views haven't hardened – unbridled hatred was allowed to replace a desire for fairness and justice. Lack of remorse ? You want us to apologise because you have pre-empted the result of a tax tribunal and declared us guilty ? And how dare we have the audacity to challenge a ruling which the court ultimately ruled was unlawful within the context of the SFA's own regulations.

I become infuriated when I hear journo's, post tribunal verdict, state they “understand Rangers fans anger”. No they don't. They have no idea at all. Only Rangers supporters truly understand the anger. There is a fury within the Rangers support which burns in a manner akin to napalm – it cannot be extinguished. A fire of righteous indignation has spread right through the Rangers support.

If Scotland was to genuinely reflect on it's treatment of Rangers over the last few months, it would quickly realise that the club is due a heartfelt apology. Whether such an apology is forthcoming is another matter. If it was, it would go some way to dousing those flames of anger within our support.

If however, its not then the unconventional and irregular may become the norm, with a brutality which would put Kurtz strategy to shame, and Scottish football will face a financial apocalypse as a consequence. Perhaps as ever, “sorry” will prove to be the hardest word.

We have come a long way from the opening paragraph and the jungles of Cambodia so perhaps it's fitting I close with the words of Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore (Robert Duvall) from the same film....

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells of victory”.

Edited by D'Artagnan

What a great read D.

I totally agree with your sentiment.

I regard myself as a rational and reasonable individual, but this whole chapter in Our history has left me bitter and angry at the way the Support have been treated by all and sundry, media and other Clubs.

It will indeed take a long time to get over this but in a way I'm kinda glad it happened.

I always had the feeling we would come though it and emerge the stronger for it.

This is now happening sooner than I ever would have dared to think.

It can only be attributed to Our great support, sure and steadfast, and, the emergence of the right man for the job, Charles Green.

We will never be mucked about like this again, that's for sure.

Great read again D'Art!! :tu:

I was going to say we could publish it for you if you like, but I see that VB have already got it out for you. :)

I like the timing with the article title btw! Maybe the Mayans were actually predicting the death of the SPhell... ;)

PICTURE+1.jpg