Nottingham Forest name Alex McLeish as new manager

Alex McLeish has been appointed the new manager of Nottingham Forest, the Championship club have announced.

The former Aston Villa and Birmingham City boss replaces Sean O'Driscoll, who was sacked on 26 December after five months in charge at the City Ground.

"Alex took Birmingham to promotion," said Forest chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi.

"He's hungry for more success and I believe he's the man who can help us fulfil our ambition of making it to the Premier League."

More to follow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20855227

Another team he'll ruin! Poor choice by the board.

For me he got us over the line in 2 of the most exciting final days ever. Surely the guy deserves credit for that?

Although it's nothing to do with his ability as a manager but I briefly met him at Heathrow Airport. Very humble and nice guy.

He also won us a treble or has that been forgotten too?

Something a bit fishy about this, seems it was a done deal before O driscol had been sacked, which I dont like to see.

McLeish seems to get a feel good factor early and that will help Forest in the coming games but once that wears off they will remain as they are around 10th.

Motherwell, Hibs and Villa fans say differently. The Nottm Forest fans are in uproar over te appointment as were the Villa fans. He's a shit manager.

The Villa fans werent in uproar solely because of his appointment though, were they ? I would be surprised if you think that the fact he was most recently the Birmingham manager didnt play some element in their uproar. It may have been a small part of it but undoubtedly in some Villa fans eyes it was like hiring Judas.

I am surprised about the Motherwell and Hibs fans though - I thought he did a very decent job at both those clubs and left them in reasonable state. No ?

This has been debated more than once before - but how can someone that won 7 trophies for us be considered a shit manager ? He also won the Carling Cup in England with a very unfashionable Birmingham team too. I dont think he is a shit manager. I just think that he has, as Gribz says, a feel-good factor early doors and then he finds his "range" - which is lower end EPL and Championship.

I know someone close to him did post on here once upon a time.

Good luck to him hope he does well. Has had some very good moments in management and some very poor ones. Would rather that though, then steady mediocrity throughout.

theboyharley is Eck's nephew I believe.

Should add, I swing towards Gav's thoughts, a feel good factor for a few weeks doesnt make you a manager and Eck seemed to get by on that. What a real challenge came he struggled. If I was a Forest Fan id be gutted!!!