The 153 SPL players who are free to find a new club in January

Do we really need to fill ourselves up with SPL players that we'd likely dump when we get back to the top flight? Doesn't seem worth hindering the younger players for.

Agreed.

When looking at the list there are very few who I would want at Rangers right now. The youngsters are getting terrific experience and it is showing in their performances. Players like McKay, Hutton, Aird, McLeod, Perry, Hegarty.... are all good enough to see us out of Division 2 and, given another season of experience, could very well be good enough to see us get out of Division 1. And by the time they get to the top table again (whatever that may be) they could very well be the core of our team, which is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

In fact.... if you look at the SPL players that we took in this summer they have almost all been disappointments. I havent been that impressed by Black (prefer Hutton to him), Sandaza (prefer McCulloch to him, or even Kal Naismith or Hemmings (aye Zappa, I would :D), and even Shiels has been disappointing. Kyle hasnt had much of a go of things but when he has he has done OK for the most part. Templeton is the only one who has really shone IMHO.

At this point in time I dont think we need to overload ourselves with average (at best) SPL players. We will get through Division 2 next year anyway with the players we have so other why overpay players who would get dumped a year later anyway ?

I would be intrigued to see just what this team can accomplish with the likes of Hutton, Hegarty, Perry, Aird, McKay, McLeod, Crawford, Naismith, Hemmings if given the time to actually settle as a team. And I would prefer we saved any transfer funds (and wages) until they are actually needed - and they shouldnt be needed until we get into Division 1 at the earliest.

I thought we had let him go because he had been plagued with injury problems?

I thought he left when the players were offered mutual terminations by d&p?

shinnie left years ago.

He was going out on loan for a couple of seasons, but was with us right up until last summer (2011) when his contract ran out and Butcher snapped him up for ICT.

As far as I could make out (please correct me if I'm wrong someone) the only reasonable explanation for us not keeping him was because he had been having a nightmare with injuries. Cracking player, but injured for long periods and frequently too.

Do we really need to fill ourselves up with SPL players that we'd likely dump when we get back to the top flight? Doesn't seem worth hindering the younger players for.

no but their are at least 4 players on that list who would really improve our squad and selling ourselves to foreign bassed players will not be easy.

oh and all the foreign players we signed in the summer are shite. so its not just the spl.

oh and all the foreign players we signed in the summer are shite. so its not just the spl.

I think you're being a bit harsh there GS. Cribari had a shaky start but he's been steadily improving. Argyriou was the opposite, looking like a real find at first before a hefty dip in form. Faure hasn't been involved enough - certainly not in his best position - to form an opinion. Shiels has done well overall. Sandaza's probably been the worst of the bunch and we only signed him because he'd proven himself at the top level of our game.

I can't believe we gers fans can still have this "foreign mercenary" attitude after watching so many of our so called bluenoses and youth products jump ship in the summer while the majority of the foreigners TUPE'd over.

He was going out on loan for a couple of seasons, but was with us right up until last summer (2011) when his contract ran out and Butcher snapped him up for ICT.

As far as I could make out (please correct me if I'm wrong someone) the only reasonable explanation for us not keeping him was because he had been having a nightmare with injuries. Cracking player, but injured for long periods and frequently too.

that and our fear of youth.

I think you're being a bit harsh there GS. Cribari had a shaky start but he's been steadily improving. Argyriou was the opposite, looking like a real find at first before a hefty dip in form. Faure hasn't been involved enough - certainly not in his best position - to form an opinion. Shiels has done well overall. Sandaza's probably been the worst of the bunch and we only signed him because he'd proven himself at the top level of our game.

I can't believe we gers fans can still have this "foreign mercenary" attitude after watching so many of our so called bluenoses and youth products jump ship in the summer while the majority of the foreigners TUPE'd over.

cibari and argyriou are the first two i would replace with hately and mcgowan or better foreign imports if people prefer.

hately and mcgowan would be improvements on them though so i would be happy to take them.