Naming Rights Deal Close

CHARLES GREEN says Rangers are close to striking a deal to sell the naming rights to Ibrox â?? but only on terms the fans are comfortable with.

The Light Blues chief executive met representatives from supporters clubs at the stadium last night to discuss the issue.

While some object to the move, most understand the need to bring extra revenue into Gers and appreciate renaming the ground is one of the easier ways to do that.

Green is currently in discussions with three external companies and is optimistic of agreeing terms sooner rather than later.

He knows it is important to followers of the 54-times Scottish champions that that Ibrox moniker is included as part of a new name.

And the Yorkshireman is striving to ensure that happens as he edges closer to a conclusion on that front.

Green said: â??Itâ??s an emotive subject at every club and with Rangers being one of the biggest, itâ??s going to be a big subject here.

â??Itâ??s healthy for us to have these discussions and I accept everyone has a view. Some people are completely against it and no amount of cash would get them to change their mind.

â??People are entitled to say that. My attitude to life is that if you believe in something, you should stand behind it and you shouldnâ??t waver so I have no problem with that.

â??Last night at the meeting, people were asking how we can make it work and I thought that was encouraging.

â??Some were sat firmly where I am, which is where we donâ??t denigrate the history to bring cash in. That is very important in terms of rebuilding and what we are trying to do here.

â??I wouldnâ??t say we are at the door, as it were. Weâ??ve had problems where we canâ??t even tell a proposed sponsor what league we will be in and that has caused frustration.

â??But we have to get on and weâ??ve narrowed it down now to two or three people who I think can deliver what we and the fans want.

â??That is something we can all be comfortable with from a naming rights point of view and which brings income into the club.â?

Green spoke yesterday of being restricted to doing one-year sponsorship deals with other companies due to uncertainty about the clubâ??s status within Scottish football going forward.

But he hasnâ??t divulged either a contract length for naming rights nor revealed how much an agreement might be worth to Rangers.

Indeed, he is adamant it isnâ??t certain the name of the stadium will change at all â?? even if a deal is done.

Green added: â??Itâ??s not inevitable. What I said last night is that I personally am going to fight to get the Ibrox name in the new title.

â??Even from the short time Iâ??ve been here, Iâ??d never ask a taxi driver to take me to the Fred Bloggs Arena. Iâ??d ask him to take me to Ibrox.

â??Iâ??m sure people who have been associated with the club for longer than I have are still going to refer to its historical name.

â??However, it is that history that attracts a sponsor. Thatâ??s why people are prepared to pay for the naming rights of some stadia but not others.â?

Green is keen to illustrate what good a naming rights deal could do for the club and cited a recent example of business done by Newcastle United as a result of such an agreement.

He said: â??Mike Ashley is rich but heâ??s not stupid and they had a budget to adhere to so there was a period when the management and playing staff had got to their limit.

â??When they did the naming rights deal at St Jamesâ?? Park, it brought cash in and that cash was used to acquire Demba Ba.

â??He scored loads of goals then they sold him for £7million so that shows what selling the naming rights can do. If you can use that money well, itâ??ll bring further money in.â?

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/3198-naming-rights-deal-close

as long as it brings lot of money to the club they can call it what they want but we will all know it as ibrox .....

we dont know exact figures but less than 800k per year is the figure being spoke about. not even enough to cover goians wage for next season.

as long as it brings lot of money to the club they can call it what they want but we will all know it as ibrox .....

We will, but what about the young lads going for the first time? What if they read that sign saying Random Company Name Ibrox Park? A friend of mine took a subway in Hamburg and overheard this talk of two rather young HSV supporters. The one says he's excited about going to HSH Nordbank Arena while the other one reminisces about the "old days" when it was called AOL Arena. Just saying if kids go to a renamed stadium, that's what they'll call it.