Naming Rights Deal Close

We've had a number of Division 3 (sic!) games where the sell-out figures would have burst the 50k mark, had the opposition taken their full quota. As in: we could well have sold more tickets on the day. Whether it would have been 9k remains to be seen. While we cannot hope to get another 5 to 9k into any SFL or "SPL" game in the coming years, I would expect that any European game will be a sell-out.

In any case, I do not envisage this as something short-termish ... and I doubt that he has the plans in his desk already. We are looking to improve all things Rangers, including Ibrox and the surrounding area. For the time being, these are just plans and it is good to know them long in advance - as well as the fact that Green and Co. actually have such plans. I for one still wait for the blue pitch we were told of in the mid-90s :)

did we? since the mid to late 90's apathy amongst our fanbase has seen us become a doormat for scottish football and its media. factions and several different fans groups all looking after their own agendas. i dont recall us ever thriving as a fanbase in the last 20 years. i have seen us divided by those who wish to bow to pressure from outside forces to change our ways.

I guess there's been 2 major changes to the fanbase in the past 20 years:

1. The access to the internet - this allows all fans to express opinions and comminicate in ways that had never been done in the past. It's obviously here to stay. Have we, as a fan base changed significantly in respect of the factions? I couldn't say as prior to that the fans never really had the same ability to make their feelings known. If we had the internet 30 years ago, would the divisions be any less?

2. Changes in the views of our support - 25 years ago, your typical Rangers fan was a staunch Protestant Royalist Loyalist Unionist. It was very rare to meet someone at a game that did not fall into that category. It's clear from this site and the likes of RM that we have a new generation of fan who do not fall into that category and therefore the beliefs and ethos that existed in the past don't exist to the extent as they did back then. The signs are that this trend will continue. Obviously people will have their own opinions as whether this is a good thing or not.

I guess there's been 2 major changes to the fanbase in the past 20 years:

1. The access to the internet - this allows all fans to express opinions and comminicate in ways that had never been done in the past. It's obviously here to stay. Have we, as a fan base changed significantly in respect of the factions? I couldn't say as prior to that the fans never really had the same ability to make their feelings known. If we had the internet 30 years ago, would the divisions be any less?

2. Changes in the views of our support - 25 years ago, your typical Rangers fan was a staunch Protestant Royalist Loyalist Unionist. It was very rare to meet someone at a game that did not fall into that category. It's clear from this site and the likes of RM that we have a new generation of fan who do not fall into that category and therefore the beliefs and ethos that existed in the past don't exist to the extent as they did back then. The signs are that this trend will continue. Obviously people will have their own opinions as whether this is a good thing or not.

I'm sure you're right about number 2 or maybe I'm speaking from my own point of view. I'm old enough to be pre-Internet and I've never been all for the Protestant Royalist Loyalist Unionist and have known plenty of other Rangers fans that don't either. Not only that but there were plenty who subscribed to that on the surface who did it to fit in with the crowd and didn't really feel any of it deep down. They weren't religious, didn't give a fig about the royal family, and were more Scottish than British with plenty voting for Labour or SNP and very few having time for the Tories.

They were the kind of guys who would say FTP as an everyday expletive but have dropped that kind of stuff since it became unfashionable.

I'm sure you're right about number 2 or maybe I'm speaking from my own point of view. I'm old enough to be pre-Internet and I've never been all for the Protestant Royalist Loyalist Unionist and have known plenty of other Rangers fans that don't either. Not only that but there were plenty who subscribed to that on the surface who did it to fit in with the crowd and didn't really feel any of it deep down. They weren't religious, didn't give a fig about the royal family, and were more Scottish than British with plenty voting for Labour or SNP and very few having time for the Tories.

They were the kind of guys who would say FTP as an everyday expletive but have dropped that kind of stuff since it became unfashionable.

I can only comment about the people that I want to games with, met at games, were in my supporters club or knew socially. There may be others as you describe back then but I wasn't aware of very many of them.

We've had a number of Division 3 (sic!) games where the sell-out figures would have burst the 50k mark, had the opposition taken their full quota. As in: we could well have sold more tickets on the day. Whether it would have been 9k remains to be seen. While we cannot hope to get another 5 to 9k into any SFL or "SPL" game in the coming years, I would expect that any European game will be a sell-out.

In any case, I do not envisage this as something short-termish ... and I doubt that he has the plans in his desk already. We are looking to improve all things Rangers, including Ibrox and the surrounding area. For the time being, these are just plans and it is good to know them long in advance - as well as the fact that Green and Co. actually have such plans. I for one still wait for the blue pitch we were told of in the mid-90s :)

Probably not a favourite over at UEFA mate is it? :D

I can't see in what definition of "good fan" fits people who stop supporting the club because we sign a great player who was brought up in a faith they hate. They are "bad fans" on so many levels.

It's got to be said that since Mo Johnson our attendances have gone up dramatically in the 23 years since compared to the 23 years prior. Looking at the stats, probably something like 50%. That sounds like thriving to me.

To me the hand wringers are those who wring their hands and have cries of woe about something as silly as players religion. The weird thing is that they see themselves as Christians but don't even understand the religion they associate themselves with.

Seems to me that if hand wringers is to be applied in the current scenario, you'd have to choose to apply it to those that are wringing their hands about the threat of stadium name change. The other side are instead rubbing their hands thinking about the income.

Nobody mentioned religion, and super mo wasn't even our first bead rattler. John Spencer was playing for us at the time, and no-one tore up their books because of him. If your old enough to remember the whole scenario, then it was done purely to prove a point by Murray and Souness(also trying to please his bead rattling missus, I might add).

Did we need him? No. Would we have won less trophies without him? No. Did it piss off lots of good fans? Yes. Was he a two faced Rangers hating wee shite? Definitely. Dont make the asumption that people hated him for his faith. Anyone crossing themselves in front of our support should be banned from Ibrox, not welcomed like a hero.

Our club changed forever that day more than the "modern" fan realises, and it wasn't because he was a catholic. It gave Murray the confidence to do whatever the fuck he wanted,which led to the banning of our songs etc, safe in the knowledge the majority would just roll over and accept it. Remind me how that worked out for us again?

Edited by ComeOffit

Nobody mentioned religion, and super mo wasn't even our first bead rattler. John Spencer was playing for us at the time, and no-one tore up their books because of him. If your old enough to remember the whole scenario, then it was done purely to prove a point by Murray and Souness(also trying to please his bead rattling missus, I might add).

Did we need him? No. Would we have won less trophies without him? No. Did it piss off lots of good fans? Yes. Was he a two faced Rangers hating wee shite? Definitely. Dont make the asumption that people hated him for his faith. Anyone crossing themselves in front of our support should be baned from Ibrox, not welcomed like a hero.

Our club changed forever that day more than the "modern" fan realises, and it wasn't because he was a catholic. It gave Murray the confidence to do whatever the fuck he wanted,which led to the banning of our songs etc, safe in the knowledge the majority would just roll over and accept it. Remind me how that worked out for us again?

I must be missing something.... that looks like a contradictory statement in the same sentence :confused:

i will question anyone who doesnt want our club to have the biggest ground in the country. what happened to our ambition, our desire to be the best, like it or not but the biggest clubs have the biggest stadiums. 50000 was ok for a big club 15 years ago, not now. we have to move with the times.

this is one of the dfferences i spoke of last week between us and celtic. they know they need a big ground, they know there is money to be made and they know to be taken seriously as a big club you need a big stadium. they have that. we dont. we need it whether we can fill it every other week or not. we simply need it.

this is one of the dfferences i spoke of last week between us and celtic. they know they need a big ground, they know there is money to be made and they know to be taken seriously as a big club you need a big stadium. they have that. we dont. we need it whether we can fill it every other week or not. we simply need it.

Sarcasm again mate? ;)