Barry Ferguson to return?

My only problem with Barry is the stupid comment he made about winning the Carling cup with Birmingham being his biggest success.

He's probably such an ego maniac that he only said that to try and provoke reactions of disappointment from our support.

I would have him back no problem, obviously at no more than an average wage.

I accept his fore mentioned "bad points" but I think his experience would be valuable particularly with the numerous young guys trying to break through.

There is no doubt concerning his Rangers "credentials" and I think he could help the Club for the next couple of seasons to get through the lower divisions.

At the moment, apart from Jig, and he's not always fit, we have an older, narky guy to stand up to other Club's bullies. Last week's Peterhead game was a good example. I think we let the cloggers intimidate some of our players. I'm confident this wouldn't have happened if Ferguson (or someone like him) was on the park.

It is really sad to see how a former captain (one which lead us to a European final) is spoke about on here.

Barry Ferguson for me was a great young player whos standards slowly slipped as injuries took there toll. I think his experience and overall reading of the game would be great for the young players.

My only problem with Barry is the stupid comment he made about winning the Carling cup with Birmingham being his biggest success.

He left very abruptly at his peak, I was still a pretty young boy then and I was heartbroken.

He came back and was pretty much forgiven yet really never got close to the same heights (injuries didn't help) yet was still by far our most expensive player. He also managed to get himself stripped of the captaincy twice, the bad feeling towards Le Guen saved him from much stick but his behaviour with that whole Scotland thing was a childish disgrace. Walter rated him as a player so it shows how badly he felt let down, and in the end punting him was welcome to take something off the wage bill.

I do actually think Barry still deserves a place among the Rangers greats but bad feeling is also undestandable.

Especially when you call yourself a live long Rangers supporter.

In fairness to the guy, if he genuinely meant it then he was maybe looking at it from the point of view that winning the Carling Cup with Brum was a huge achievement for that club with him as captain and something that wasn't expected. It was more of a dream come true for Brum and their support than something they were expected or favorites to win, whereas at Rangers we expect and demand silverware from the team. Not only that, but the SPL title race was almost always a two horse race, so at the start of each season there was roughly a 50/50 chance of winning.

I've nothing against Barry he virtually carried the team on his shoulders for a few years and should be remembered as a club legend.

My problem is he shouldn't be coming to us to learn his trade as a coach he should be coming to us the finished article. We need experienced coaches at this time not new starts.

Edited by GovanAllan