Coisty set to net Bell

RANGERS are close to sealing a deal to snap up Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell.

Scotland goalie Bell, 26, has held talks with gaffer Ally McCoist over a switch to Ibrox. Gers are still operating under a strict transfer embargo, but can sign players who are out of contract from September.

Bell has been a target for McCoist who now looks to have got his man. The move puts a huge question mark over Neil Alexanderâ??s position as Gers No1.

Alexanderâ??s been in talks over a new deal, but talks have stalled over the length of contract on the table. Now Bell is being lined up as a new signing his position at Gers looks uncertain.

Signing Bell, however, would be seen as a major coup for McCoist who is eager to bolster his squad ahead of next season.

Meanwhile, Ibrox skipper Lee McCulloch hopes he can one day smile about the chaotic days of Rangersâ?? downfall.

McCulloch reflected on the most â??surrealâ?? period of his career as the anniversary of Gersâ?? administration approaches.

Big Jig revealed disgraced owner Craig Whyte told players Rangers was safe on February 14 â?? just one hour before Duff & Phelps were called in.

McCulloch said: â??I remember Craig Whyte came up to Murray Park for a meeting with Gordon Smith, Ali Russell and the players.

â??He said it was a possibility the club would go into administration, but that it would not happen in the near future.

â??Then that afternoon it happened. In fact, it was about an hour after he left, so you can imagine what the boys were like.

â??Duff & Phelps came in and we endured what was, without question, the most surreal pre-season I ever had.

â??We did not know if we had a team, if we could sign anyone or if we would be playing games.

â??It was a SHAMBLES and I think in about 10 to 15 years time we will look back and laugh about how badly the situation was dealt with.â?

Stand-in skipper Lee Wallace paid tribute to Gers fans after 46,000 turned out to watch the easy 4-0 win over Queenâ??s Park.

Wallace said: â??I spoke to our kitman Jimmy Bell about giving up my No12 jersey and it was an easy decision to make.

â??The fans have been our 12th man so it seemed like the perfect gesture.

â??The belief and energy they give us is so important. They donâ??t have to turn out every week in huge numbers, but they do.â?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4788480/Cammy-nicker.html

Cant really say I know anything about Bell, but he must be half decent if he's had a call up. The good thing is he is 26.

What a cracking idea and gesture if the club give up the No.12 jersey and dedicate it to the fans...every fan who buys a replica shirt could get the 12 on the back.

Gordon is working on the Dumbarton coaching team and has said he won't play again until next year at the earliest - if at all.

Bell would be a decent signing given the situation we're in. I like Alexander but he's not had the best season this year.

Can't say that I saw Bell more than when he played against us. A club like Rangers needs two experienced goalkeepers, one of whom will most likely remain disappointed. Alexander was great in 2008, even greater in 2012 and will most likely remain with us for next season. I see his point in wanting a "longer" contract and wouldn't deny him that or the wish to have another spell down south. He's still good enough for the Championship. He had some "problems" this season, but so too had his makeshift-everchanging defence.

As for Bell, I only start to get excited when he's up in Auchenhowie signing a contract. Speaking of that place, it might be a blow to Gallagher and Currie more than Alexander, but these guys desperately need to go out on loan and play competitive footie first.

I really hope we sign him and punt Alexander.

Alexander isn't good enough for us and is a total liability when it comes to crosses in the box or balls over the top. Far far too slow off his line. Not to mention his distribution which is probably the worst i have ever seen from a professional goalkeeper.