Durrant and McDowall

I was at Ibrox in late September 1983. Rangers v St. Johnstone.

The manager was a forlorn and under pressure John Greig, Rangers had a young Ally McCoist playing on his 21st birthday.

St. Johnstone scored in the first minute and a half empty Ibrox fell silent. Rangers won the game 6-3 and young McCoist scored a brace.

My eternal memories of the day are the spectacle of John Greig looking completely lost and overwhelmed after the first goal and the old guys on the Glasgow subway after the game slating the legend that is Greig as useless, citing the ignominy of allowing a team like St. Johnstone to score three goals at Ibrox as the end of the line for our manager of the day.

I feel that there are obvious parallels now with the greatest Rangers man of his generation struggling to become a competent and successful manager.

John Greig resigned shortly after that game yet remains a legend despite his obvious failings as a manager. It may be necessary for Ally to do the same but nothing will ever undermine or reduce what he has done for this club over a 30 year period. At least not for this bear.

Muppet? I don't think so.

Remind me did we win today. :facepalm:

I'm not quite sure what your point is GA. Your rhetorical question regarding today's result makes no sense.

I have conceded that McCoist may well not be good enough as a manager going forward but I think his contribution to this club over a lifetime should afford the man some respect. Calling him a muppet is not a useful contribution to the debate in my opinion.

But heigh ho life is all about opinions I simply don't agree with yours on this occasion.

I'm not quite sure what your point is GA. Your rhetorical question regarding today's result makes no sense.

I have conceded that McCoist may well not be good enough as a manager going forward but I think his contribution to this club over a lifetime should afford the man some respect. Calling him a muppet is not a useful contribution to the debate in my opinion.

But heigh ho life is all about opinions I simply don't agree with yours on this occasion.

So his contribution as a great player and ambassador of the club means he should get a free slide as the most incompetent manger in Rangers history.

Whatever happened to no man is bigger than the club, Rangers will still be playing football when Ally and myself are long gone and dust, hopefully a lot better than this year never mind today.

Rangers today and forever, not in spite of Super Ally.

I would not call Ally a Muppet but comparing him to Ham'n'Egg just does not hold up. Greig loved Rangers to the extent that the club's success meant more to him that his own position within the club at that time. I get the impression that Ally simply cannot accept that he is not the manager he seems to think he is. As for McDowell and Durrant?; I think the Peter Principle applies.

You are misrepresenting the point I was making.

I am in no way defending Ally McCoist's managerial record which has not been good enough.

I was simply saying the man's contribution to this club should, in my opinion, afford him a bit of respect and labelling him a muppet does not do that as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway we have got a bit off topic here so I'll beg to differ with you on this one GA, have a good day.

I was at Ibrox in late September 1983. Rangers v St. Johnstone.

The manager was a forlorn and under pressure John Greig, Rangers had a young Ally McCoist playing on his 21st birthday.

St. Johnstone scored in the first minute and a half empty Ibrox fell silent. Rangers won the game 6-3 and young McCoist scored a brace.

My eternal memories of the day are the spectacle of John Greig looking completely lost and overwhelmed after the first goal and the old guys on the Glasgow subway after the game slating the legend that is Greig as useless, citing the ignominy of allowing a team like St. Johnstone to score three goals at Ibrox as the end of the line for our manager of the day.

I feel that there are obvious parallels now with the greatest Rangers man of his generation struggling to become a competent and successful manager.

John Greig resigned shortly after that game yet remains a legend despite his obvious failings as a manager. It may be necessary for Ally to do the same but nothing will ever undermine or reduce what he has done for this club over a 30 year period. At least not for this bear.

Muppet? I don't think so.

I was at Pittodrie a few weeks later, Jock Wallace back in charge again. We had the Beach End in those days, they spent virtually the whole game singing "two hundred thousand abortion" towards McCoist.

The circle is almost complete.

McCoist is John Greig deja vu.

GA is not exactly a lone voice in the wilderness.

As much flak as Ally gets I think these two equally deserve criticism. Its not their fault they are in those positions but its plainly obvious they arent assistant manager material.

Same as Ally - thanks a million for heling pull what was left of the squad through last year, that wont be forgotten, but that doesnt mean they can sit on the sidelines chewing gum and holding a clipboard while the product on the pitch is depressing.

they should all go i expect.

Some of the names Ally is getting called is uncalled for , he is a Rangers Legend and deserved his chance to manage the club he loves. There may be reasons to why Ally is not producing the basics from training at Murray Park to tactical decisions , the football on show at the moment is poor to see yesterday was a disgrace these players look like they don't want to play for Ally are they following his instructions, something isn't right. Ally will get next season and if it doesn't get better i am sure Ally will know when time is to go.