Ian Durrant: Youngsters shouldn't be at Ibrox if they can't handle the pressure

He said: “If you can’t handle the pressure at Rangers when we’re in the Third Division it doesn’t bode well for the future.[/url]

If you forget about the whole youth players/ experienced players debate and who's to blame, this statement is quite spot on.

If this was said privately, coach to player in the dressing room, who could argue with this? Ian Durrant thrived on the pressure as a youngster coming into the first team, so is uniquely qualified to give advice of this nature, however, coming out in the press with this just smacks of ready made excuses. Hugely disappointed with these comments, when you consider that of the experienced SPL players only one or two would get pass marks for the season.

Personally, I think that CG's recent comments about the worst team in the history of Rangers and ID comments above, are all about trying to deflect some of the heat off Ally.

I don't understand the criticism of Durrant on this thread. Everything he's said is true and he is uniquely placed to say it as neither McCoist or McDowell were a young player at Rangers. Durrant didn't absolve the experienced players of blame, he was simply talking about the young ones. To state that they need to perform under pressure is a statement of fact, to say they need to develop a winning mentality is a statement of fact. He didn't single anyone out, he didn't humiliate anyone he pointed out that playing for Rangers carries pressure and they should get used to it.

I think Durrant is taking abuse because he is singling out the youngster alone..not the experienced players (Black, Sheils etc) who have have failed to impressed. Also.. who plays the players out of position, who tells the goalkeeper to lamp the ball up the field instead of starting from the back? These are the things that they remain silent on, which in turn pisses people off! By the way, i'm no Durrant hater. i was genuinely pleased that he came back to Rangers as a coach as i thought he would pass on his skills and knowledge on how the game should be played (along with mccoist) but as of yet , i've seen hee-haw!

As talented a player Durrant was he just comes across as thick to me and its showing. Does he think things are like it was in the 9IAR era where the strongest personalitites and squad bonding was there? He cant assume all youngsters are the 'laugh a minute confident type'....I know when I was 17 or 18 I could be a quiet person and often gave too much respect to elders. This can have an effect on self confidence.

Instead of coming out with such comments, and Ally has done recently also, why dont they get on a man management course and realise humans are individuals. Some will react to a rollicking and some will react with a private word or arm around the shoulder.

Handling inner pressure is within everyone of us, its just about finding it and sometimes you need a morale boost from someone / somewhere to bring it out of you.

These are Durrant's words Gribz from the first page of this thread -

“If you can’t handle the pressure at Rangers when we’re in the Third Division it doesn’t bode well for the future. It’s the players’ jobs to win games and entertain. In the last few weeks we’ve seen the fans’ frustrations because we’ve not done that. There’s a winning mentality here and that has to be instilled into players. You either come in and be a winner or someone else comes in and is a winner in your place.”

Here is the full quote from the Daily Record -

"These are difficult times but we've just got to get on with it," Durrant said in an interview on the club's official online channel. "It's the players' jobs to win games and entertain people. "In the last few weeks, we've seen the fans' frustrations because we've not done that and pressure is part and parcel of playing for one of the Glasgow clubs. "There's a winning mentality here and that has to be installed into the players right away. You either come in and be a winner or someone else comes in and is a winner in your place. "It's that simple. It's quite a ruthless situation but you've got to step up to the plate week in, week out. "The fans demand that and there will be nerves, but collectively we've all got to rise above that and deal with it." Durrant, who was a Rangers regular aged 18 and scored on his Old Firm debut, added: "If you want to play for Rangers and you can't handle the pressure when we're in the Third Division, it doesn't bode well for the future. "We can see the finishing line and I don't know if the players are so far in front that they've just taken their foot off the gas a bit. "But we had a meeting yesterday, we've addressed the problems we've got and our aim is to go on and win the league before we start enjoying ourselves."

He doesn't mention young players in either quote far less suggest there is a one-size-fits-all approach to managing them being taken. He says' "players" he doesn't mention age or experience. What he's saying is that not winning at Rangers is unacceptable, and if you don't win then you get replaced. Frankly it's the most accurate thing someone in our management team has said for a while.