Jon Daly reveals talks with Ally McCoist over potential Rangers move

Alan Smith

Date of Birth: 25.05.93

Nationality: Irish

REPUBLIC of Ireland international signed for the Light Blues in July 2010 and has established himself as Billy Kirkwood's number one so far this season.

A regular in the Republic's squads since under-15 level, the big keeper is looking to pick up some silverware in his first season as the club's top stopper at youth level.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/teams/reserves-and-youth/item/388-alan-smith

Youth level doesn't seem to count, otherwise you couldn't manufacture a "Rangers want to sign first Irish catholic"- headline. You just got to love the press these days don't you.

It's a poor piece by Keevins. The only people who'll be upset by this guys nationality and religion are a section of the Celtic support who'll regard him as some kind of traitor.

He'll not have to hit the ground running any faster than any other Rangers player, he'll get a game and half to prove himself before we all make our minds up about him as normal.

@MattLindsayET: Rangers manager Ally McCoist has revealed that Jon Daly being from the Republic of Ireland is "of no interest to anybody at the club".

@MattLindsayET: McCoist said: "It is absolutely no problem where a player comes from. All that matters is we feel they can do a job on the football park."

@MattLindsayET: McCoist added: "It is 2013 for goodness sake."

Only issue I have with Jon Daly is how we'd play him. Surely not for CB. Up front he tends to have striker playing off him i.e. goodwillie or Russell at Dundee Utd. I'd hope we'd do something similar & wouldn't use him(if he signs) as a lone striker and simply punt high balls to him because he's 6'3".

Only issue I have with Jon Daly is how we'd play him. Surely not for CB. Up front he tends to have striker playing off him i.e. goodwillie or Russell at Dundee Utd. I'd hope we'd do something similar & wouldn't use him(if he signs) as a lone striker and simply punt high balls to him because he's 6'3".

Little next to him, Templeton as the creative midfielder behind them. For starters.

That is my big worry about Daly, that we go the route one high ball punt up the field to a lone striker.