It's forty years since the Centenary Stand was constructed and I find myself wondering if many Bears remember the Derry?

The Derry was the piece of terracing situated where the Govan Stand is situated, from the 18 yard line at the Copland to 20 yards after the halfway line. It was truly mental, sang, surged, and thrummed continually throughout a match. I remember a Scottish Cup tie against Falkirk(71/72ish), where a Polis cap was tossed up, down and across the Derry as the match progressed. Against Bayern Munich in the Fairs Cup they sang, 'we sank the Bismark', a game in the sectional League cup they chorused, 'Billy, Billy McNeil' when a stray dog entered the field, and invited all opposition fans, 'to come and have a go if you think your hard enough'.

Again, as I wonder; what to an area between the Copland and the Govan known to my grandfather in the 20s/30s as 'Hellfire Corner'? I suppose it proves the Stadium continues to breath and evolve.

Again, as I wonder; what to an area between the Copland and the Govan known to my grandfather in the 20s/30s as 'Hellfire Corner'? I suppose it proves the Stadium continues to breath and evolve.

20s and 30s? Bud, it was rip roaring mental in the 70s as well. You'd often have more polis than fans up there :)

I remember the Derry although I was obviously young. Being able to walk from one end of the ground to the other is another memory as I always stood behind the opposition goal to get a closer look of the Rangers goals.

It's forty years since the Centenary Stand was constructed and I find myself wondering if many Bears remember the Derry?

The Derry was the piece of terracing situated where the Govan Stand is situated, from the 18 yard line at the Copland to 20 yards after the halfway line. It was truly mental, sang, surged, and thrummed continually throughout a match. I remember a Scottish Cup tie against Falkirk(71/72ish), where a Polis cap was tossed up, down and across the Derry as the match progressed. Against Bayern Munich in the Fairs Cup they sang, 'we sank the Bismark', a game in the sectional League cup they chorused, 'Billy, Billy McNeil' when a stray dog entered the field, and invited all opposition fans, 'to come and have a go if you think your hard enough'.

We used to stand between 13 and the goals. Many a game at the end of the 60s, beginning of the 70s we would have our cans of McEwans enjoying the goings on in the Derry just as much as the game.

Good memories.

We used to stand between 13 and the goals. Many a game at the end of the 60s, beginning of the 70s we would have our cans of McEwans enjoying the goings on in the Derry just as much as the game.

Good memories.

And pissing in the cans and down the leg of the guy in front.:)