Martin Bain poised to return as Rangers chief executive

Martin Bain, the former Rangers chief executive who was ousted at the start of Craig Whyteâ??s disastrous tenure, is in line for a shock return to Ibrox to take up his old job, Telegraph Sport can reveal.

By Roddy Forsyth

7:00AM BST 20 Apr 2013

Bainâ??s re-emergence as a player in the Rangers saga followed yet another week of turmoil in Govan, which culminated in Charles Greenâ??s resignation as CEO on Friday.

Greenâ??s departure is further proof that Whyte â?? detested and despised by the Rangers support for plunging their club into the worst crisis in their history â?? retains the capacity to influence fortunes at Ibrox. It was Whyteâ??s claim â?? backed by his use of secretly- taped conversations â?? that he and Green had been in cahoots at one point during last summerâ??s takeover, which ensured that the voluble Yorkshiremanâ??s tenure as chief executive was in jeopardy.

As Telegraph Sport revealed on April 11, the Rangers board meeting held at Ibrox last Saturday effectively spelt the end for Green, who had also been charged by the Scottish Football Association with bringing the game into disrepute after he revealed in a newspaper interview that he was apt to greet Imran Ahmad â?? the clubâ??s commercial director, with the words â??Howâ??s my little P--- friend?â?

Ahmad will almost certainly be the next casualty of Whyteâ??s damning revelations because of disquiet amongst the other directors about a sum of £135,000 paid by the former owner and not returned. The money remains in Ahmadâ??s motherâ??s account, a detail that will be probed by the independent investigators who will present a report into last yearâ??s takeover to the Rangers board.

Ahmad remained in his position on Friday night, but it is understood that his position is now effectively untenable. In the meantime, Rangers confirmed Greenâ??s departure to the Stock Exchange late Friday afternoon and issued a statement shortly afterwards.

It read: â??The Company announces that Charles Green has notified the Board that he wishes to step down as Chief Executive with immediate effect. Recent weeks have seen media interest in the circumstances surrounding the period prior to the acquisition of the club by the consortium led by Mr Green.

â??Whilst Mr Green strenuously denies any wrongdoing, he has recognised that this negative publicity is a distraction and is detracting from the achievements and reputation of the club. As a result, Mr Green has informed the Board that he will leave his post with immediate effect and leave the Company, following an orderly handover, by the end of May.

â??The Board has commenced the search for a new Chief Executive and expects the role to attract high quality candidates from both within and outwith the industry. A further announcement will be made in due course.â?

Malcolm Murray, the Rangers chairman, said: â??Charles Green was instrumental in helping to secure financial stability for the club. The impact that he had in turning the club around from the dark days of last summer will never be forgotten by the fans who I am sure, like me, will thank him for this and for choosing to put the club ahead of his personal position at this time.â?

Green said: â??Recent events have undoubtedly been a distraction for both myself and all involved with Rangers and I feel that it is appropriate that I step down so that the club can continue to progress back to where it belongs at the pinnacle of Scottish football. I am very proud to have been associated with a club of the stature of Rangers and am proud of the achievements of the club during my tenure as Chief Executive.

â??My thanks go to the Rangers fans, whose support has been tremendous during my time at the club.â?

There will be an abundance of candidates to succeed Green â?? who remains Rangersâ?? largest shareholder â?? but Telegraph Sport can confirm that Bain has the considerable advantage of being favoured by at least two directors, who feel that his knowledge and experience of the club is an invaluable asset.

Bain joined Rangers in 1996 and was elevated to the board in 2001, during Sir David Murrayâ??s time as owner. Murray appointed him as chief executive in 2006 but when the Edinburgh businessman agreed to sell the club to Whyte in May 2012, Bain refused to agree to the transaction on behalf of 27,000 minority shareholders.

As a consequence, he was suspended by Whyte and inaugurated legal action at the Court of Session in respect of breach of contract. Bain was also one of a number of directors, including the former chairman, Alastair Johnston, who presented evidence to Murray that Whyte was not fit to become the new owner.

Rangersâ?? share price showed no signs of recovery from recent decline and closed at 61p on Friday night, down by a third from the peak of 94p which was achieved on Jan 7.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/10006806/Martin-Bain-poised-to-return-as-Rangers-chief-executive-after-Charles-Green-resigns.html

DJ suggested that on Clyde an Forsyth took it up. There is nothing to verify this, in fact, Chris Graham on FF just noted that he's been told it is a no-goer.

I would assume DJ's assumption comes from the fact that we won't be able to get a decent replacement in withing a week or two. Hence it might be an idea to use Bain as a temporary replacement, since he's been there - albeit with a hand tied behind his back - before. Just saying.

"A thin-skinned, chronically-offended, individual"

Send a message via MSN to Grandmaster_Suck Send a message via Skype™ to Grandmaster_Suck

Exclamation Bain not coming back

My sources on the Board tell me.

Chillax peeps.

Wouldn't really know where to start in judging how the Rangers church will view this. Forum's are generally unhappy, to put it mildly. I would have thought there are a few million better candidates out there.

Strikes me once again that we're the only show in town, and ANY story about the Rangers sells copy.

Probably a victim of our own success.

Probably why we're despised.

My take - as I said I'm sure there are zillions of CEOs out there who could bring more to the table than Bain.

If true, not sure this is the move that will shift 40,000 season tickets.

On a sidenote ... (and something rather easy for real journalists to dig up) ...

(10) he has been a director of a club in membership of any National Association which

has undergone an insolvency event within the five year period preceding the said insolvency event.

... might be a stumbling block too.