Ross County backing down??

Ross County chairman upbeat on league restructuring

Comments (11)

Scottish football restructuring could be agreed in time for next season, according to Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor.

St Mirren and County were the two clubs to veto proposals which would have resulted in a 12-12-18 format.

But alternative proposals were discussed at an SPL board meeting on Thursday.

"Change isn't a necessity, it's inevitable. We've got to find the right formula," said MacGregor.

The proposal rejected for next season would have involved the top two divisions splitting into three leagues of eight midway through the season.

A revised financial distribution and the merging of the SPL and SFL were included in the plans.

â??

I wouldn't be speaking as optimistically as I am if I didn't believe something would happen

�

Roy MacGregor

Ross County chairman

Despite the failure to push through that proposal, MacGregor is upbeat that change is in the pipeline.

"There is a meeting next week and I really believe that something will come back to the table that everyone can buy into," he told BBC Scotland.

"I wouldn't be speaking as optimistically as I am if I didn't believe something would happen.

"I think it could be in place for next season. The board met and are looking at alternatives.

"There was a lot of passion but also a lot at stake for some clubs. Passion is a great thing but I also think there's a unanimity between the clubs and I kept my counsel in the week or two prior to the vote.

"I did that, not only because I'm the Ross County chairman, but also a member of the league body.

"I have to respect my fellow chairmen who are there to represent the league. They knew my feelings but the wider public didn't. I'm really optimistic that over the next days and weeks we'll see an outcome."

So 12-12-18 can still go through but scrap the split and change it to play offs. On his talksport interview it was more the split he was opposed against. Therefore no change in structure at all in the SPL but SPL 2 will be formed making the SPL out weigh the SFL with 24 clubs to 18.

They will still then be relying on a TV deal that includes Rangers games...

Not sure if restructuring will be in place for next season. The SPL is one thing. What about the SFL? They would have to vote.

And what about us?

"Oh - you guys can stay in the bottom league, we'll give you £600 for every game you're televised, and no you won't have voting rights, and no you can't see any sponsorship or media contracts "

Why don't we just say no?

We've got the fan base, we've got the viewers. All we need is teams to play against.

The new restructuring would be a busted flush without us.

According to the BBC just there, its a cherry picking of the areas of the SPL proposals that are acceptable to all. Single league body, financial redistribution and play offs it seems are back in play.

Whilst the 12-12-18 is off the table.

Funny how cherry picking was something abhorrent at the actual vote.

According to the BBC just there, its a cherry picking of the areas of the SPL proposals that are acceptable to all. Single league body, financial redistribution and play offs it seems are back in play.

Whilst the 12-12-18 is off the table.

Funny how cherry picking was something abhorrent at the actual vote.

I wouldn't bet against this 12-12-18 being brought back. The carrot being dangled to the wee diddy clubs was us in the 18 and the SPL parasites taking our TV money i.e. Rangers subsidising Scottish football.

This must be resisted at all costs. Our new CEO will have his work cut out early doors and this will determine how big(or how little) a success he'll be.

Edited by RANGERRAB

Small section from an article/rant I wrote last year -

Underneath all the sparkly, glittery goodness of it all, the SPL wants to strengthen it's weakened position and weaken the SFL's strengthened position. They're going to try to dazzle and bamboozle clubs in the SFL with some rose tint and the promise of some extra wonga, some thrill and adventure into pastures new. It has to be said that there's a fair chance of enough SFL clubs falling for the slight of hand and allowing the SPL to basically take over Scottish football completely because they almost all need extra cash and want a change in the game's structure.

That's where the SPL has them hook, line and sinker, so for those of us against the SPL's reconstruction plans all we can hope for is that the SFL as a majority is wise enough to the SPL's self-serving scheming and plotting to see that they want to take complete control of the game with a 24 club to 18 club majority. That's what it'll be because there won't be any SPL>SFL merger under serious discussion. The idea of serious merger talks will just be another dangling carrot. Now you see me, now you don't.

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/103-zappa-s-rant-spl-plots-strengthening-itself-whilst-weakening-the-sfl