Why Ally McCoist Must Step Down As Rangers Manager

It's my belief that there's some Bears who are severely disgruntled about the Murray, Smith & McCoist side winning the boardroom and PR war against Green & Ahmad which ended in the latter pair leaving the club for a number of reasons. There was a boardroom divide which in turn caused a divide amongst many of the fans discussing the issues online and that now transcends into the issue of Ally (with Walter's backing) and his role as manager with the Green & co side calling for Ally to be sacked or step down. That's how I see it and hopefully that clarifies why I brought it up.

I'm not entirely comfortable with Ally possibly having a role in Green's departure but without any serious evidence it's not something I want him to leave over. All about the football.

I wanted Ally replaced as manager after we got knocked out of two European competitions and got beaten in the League Cup, then we went and threw away a 15 point lead against a very poor tim side that made me even more angry.

My opinion didn't change much after our opening league game against Peterhead followed by terrible performances by players due to being played out of position. Beaten by Stirling then home defeats by Annan Athletic (lowest point for Rangers on the park in history) and Peterhead, throw in a couple of humiliating draws against farmers, joiners, betterware distributors, etc and it just about sums up Ally when it comes to being a good manager.

Christ! Rangers deserve a 'great' manager.

So... back on topic....

I still think we should give Ally next season - see how he does with a proper transfer window to strengthen.

I dont really understand a lot of the talk about falling further behind Celtic or going backwards - right now we just need to win leagues and we dont need the same calibre of player right now. Once we get to the SPL we should have a core of players that are fit for that division and augment them at that time - we should have players such as Wallace in the squad but we dont need a bunch of internationals right now.

However, we DO need to see signs of improvement in terms of team performance - if we dont see that then the money men will pull the plug on McCoist as the fans will turn away in droves which will also result in lessened revenues and they wont want that either.

I just feel we've made no real progress this year, apart from moving up one league which I think was a foregone conclusion with the resource gap. It's not just about caliber of player when talking about falling further behind, it's about overall football philosophy and ethos as we make our journey to the top, I know some scoff at those ideas and think results are all that matter but Dortmund nearly went out of business like ourselves about 10 years ago, we really should at least be trying to implement some model. I just feel with McCoist it's a scatter gun approach with no real plan, which is why the talk of giving him a transfer window worries me. Money is tight enough for us as it is without wasting more.

If he stays he stays of course and I think he will be, I don't expect him to ever quit himself (I don't actually blame him for that) and the chances of him being dismissed probably went out the window with the boardroom uncertainty and upheaval. In which case I just have to hope to see some massive improvement and differences, he may surprise me but I don't have faith that he will.

As Craig mentioned the performances this season deteriorared a lot when it should have been the other way. I could have accepted a woeful start as we only had 6 players and no pre-season, but as the season went on we should have gelled and improved.

The other concern I have is the players we are being linked with. SPL players on 3-4 years deals means when we get back up to the SPL we'll be left with a squad which will be average in the SPL. Its not too late to start build for the future in Div 2. We need experienced players like Novo and Miller to mix with what we currently have (McCulloch, Wallace) and keep bringing the youngsters along. That will get us up the leagues at low cost and when we are top of Div 1 - bang - we can then spend the transfer budget on decent quality. They will replace the ageing experienced ones who will be getting on and deals expiring.

Another thing is I dont see the players technical ability improving. There is some talent in the squad and the aim should be to improve them. That means better coaching staff. Ive said it 100 times, the thing that could be hampering Ally being a good manager is his backroom staff.

RICHARD GOUGH insists Ally McCoist could have won the Third Division by FIFTY points â?? and still been criticised.

Gers will play their last game of the season against Berwick tomorrow in front of an Ibrox full house.

But Gough, who will skipper a Gers Legends team against Manchester United on Monday, claims old pal McCoist was always on a hiding to nothing.

McCoist has been criticised by some Gers fans and Gough admitted: â??Rangers supporters are always very opinionated, they demand a certain level of performance.

â??Ally knows that. If he had won the league by 50 points, there would still have been some criticism.

â??McCoistâ??s a good friend of mine and he has done a remarkable job because so much of his time has been taken up by off-field matters.

â??I spoke to him at the Player of the Year awards down south last weekend, and he said he had been up and down to London four times in a week for business discussions.

â??People have said to me there have been some horrific results, but that can happen in football.

â??This is a very young Rangers team and it is sometimes not easy to play here. At this club you are only as good as your last pass, not your last game.

â??I just hope it will be much easier for Ally next year, and that he gets to deal with football matters more.â?

But despite the pressure, Gough does not believe there was ever a chance of McCoist quitting the job.

He famously told fans: â??We donâ??t do walking awayâ?? and Gough added: â??That has become an iconic statement among the Rangers supporters.

â??These have been tough times for McCoist, but if Rangers fans want anyone to be able to deal with that off the field, itâ??s him.

â??If Ally McCoist leaves Rangers it will be with his head held high, and he would have had to be asked to leave.

â??But he is not going anywhere. A lot of people might have walked away but I donâ??t think he ever would. He is ingrained in Rangersâ?? history.â?

However, Gough feels McCoist faces a challenging summer deciding which new players to bring in for the Second Division campaign.

He said: â??Some of the performances have been disappointing but Ally will know what he needs. It was all very last-minute last summer. He was jumping around like a madman trying to get players in.

â??This year he has a bit more time because he canâ??t do anything until September 1.

â??Naismith, Whittaker, McGregor, Jelavic and other quality players left, and have not been replaced by the same standard.

â??I found that at Livingston. We were paying guys £500-a-week and I told the chairman, Pearce Flynn, if we didnâ??t get a couple of £2,000-a-week guys in, weâ??d get relegated.

â??So we got Hassan Kachloul and Eric Deloumeaux in and they helped us stay up.

â??That is what McCoist will have to do eventually â?? bring in better players.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4912964/Richard-Gough-You-just-couldnt-win-Ally.html#ixzz2SBdZw2tN