Why Ally McCoist Must Step Down As Rangers Manager

So what happens when all the CG/CW stuff blows over and stability is returned to the boardroom (whenever that happens).....what if we're still discussing the managerial prowess of McCoist??? Obviously there will always be folk who don't like or support the manager, but discussions about McCoists managerial ability has been going on for the best part of 2 years.

We are not talking about his devotion to the club - that is unquestionable - but we are talking about football matters and whether he is the best person to lead the team forward. I REALLY want McCoist to succeed as manager, but so far he's not looking particularly convincing.

Considering the unprecedented circumstances, Ally deserves to be supported until he fails to win a league title.

I wasn't on for long at the weekend because I was away for my Dad's birthday, but did you notice Jig saying the players knew something was wrong when Whyte didn't pay them their bonuses for winning the league?

Assuming that's true, which I think it most likely is, it suggests that the players knew about the off-field issues long before the shit hit the fan, but like other club staff, for various reasons they weren't able to warn the fans. The warning signs were there to be seen in the performances though. Poor performances in Europe, followed by a massive slump in league form after the questions about Whyte became headline news following the beeb's documentary.

Green left Rangers in a better position than when he found us.

Could others have done better? Yes for def but by the same token others could've done a helluva lot worse.

I do think he was out to line his pockets because in my opinion this whole situation with him, Ahmad and Whyte seems orchestrated almost preplanned.

Anyway back to McCoist - I don't care that we weren't winning every game 6-0. I am not even that bothered that we've struggled and even lost to lessers sides than ours. But I do care that we are absolutely woeful to watch. When I have seen us play at home and away this season we have been terrible. Our fitness levels, playing mentality and overall team spirit needs to be sorted as soon as possible. If McCoist can't do this then he should step aside.......

Personally I didnt see the point of bringing Charles Green into it.

The point is that the Green fans who want Ally out at all costs are simply wrong about both. :)

The point is that the Green fans who want Ally out at all costs are simply wrong about both. :)

In your opinion.

But this is a thread about McCoist - Green has nothing to do with it, especially as he has now left the club.....

Touche

Considering the unprecedented circumstances, Ally deserves to be supported until he fails to win a league title.

I wasn't on for long at the weekend because I was away for my Dad's birthday, but did you notice Jig saying the players knew something was wrong when Whyte didn't pay them their bonuses for winning the league?

Assuming that's true, which I think it most likely is, it suggests that the players knew about the off-field issues long before the shit hit the fan, but like other club staff, for various reasons they weren't able to warn the fans. The warning signs were there to be seen in the performances though. Poor performances in Europe, followed by a massive slump in league form after the questions about Whyte became headline news following the beeb's documentary.

But that doesnt make complete sense. Yes, European performances were bad but we had one of the best domestic starts of the club's existence. So how do you explain the poor European performances but not domestic (yes, some performances domestically were poor but we also had some very decent performances during that opening unbeaten spell).

In your opinion.

But this is a thread about McCoist - Green has nothing to do with it, especially as he has now left the club.....

In your opinion he has nothing to do with it, but in my opinion there is some kind of link between supporting Green to the hilt and wanting rid of Ally at all costs. We don't recognise it so much on here Craig, but I can assure you that if you read the larger forums you would see that most of the people calling for Ally's head were supporters of Green and vice versa. It's not something I'm fabricating or just making up off the top of my head. There IS a link. Whether you think it's relevant or not is up to you, but I think it is.

In your opinion he has nothing to do with it, but in my opinion there is some kind of link between supporting Green to the hilt and wanting rid of Ally at all costs. We don't recognise it so much on here Craig, but I can assure you that if you read the larger forums you would see that most of the people calling for Ally's head were supporters of Green and vice versa. It's not something I'm fabricating or just making up off the top of my head. There IS a link. Whether you think it's relevant or not is up to you, but I think it is.

What correlation is there between supporting Green and wanting rid of McCoist ? You are clutching here. Yes, in my opinion - however, I would be interested as to how you get that correlation. Supporting Green and wanting rid of McCoist is comparing apples to oranges - two very different people carrying out very different functions.

You wont simply accept that the vast majority of those who want rid of Ally do so just because his team have been playing poorly and results havent been as good as they should have been. YES, I get that the end result, winning the league, was accomplished - but the performances and results to get there didnt match. It is more than likely THIS is the reason they want rid of Ally rather than an illogical correlation that if you support Charles Green that you must want rid of Ally.

Funnily enough, the OP was all about Ally and his managerial abilities, or lack thereof.... not one mention of support or otherwise of Charles Green.

I dont think using Charles Green in this thread is justification at all - in fact it is, IN MY OPINION, a big red herring.

This is, or should be, about whether Ally should stay or go. Your justification of him staying had nothing to do with managerial abilities, but more to do with what he has done off the pitch (and he deserves enormous credit for that) and some spurious correlation between Green and Ally.

I had serious doubts about McCoist's managerial ability well before Green showed up, changing manager obviously wasn't on the agenda when we were in administration trying to find a buyer but I didn't just start feeling this way this season.