Why Ally McCoist Must Step Down As Rangers Manager

As we approach the final game of the 2012/13 Third Division campaign, it marks the end of perhaps the most memorable season supporting Rangers in our lifetimes. Forget what happened on the park. Regularly watching Ibrox fill up to take in a fourth tier game whilst then packing out a small stadium in rural Scotland the next week was a pleasure for everybody with blue blood in their veins.

However, the end of the year means that the board have a decision to make: has the manager done enough to justify another year at the helm?

The answer has to be no.

This personal conclusion of mine is not a rash decision. This article is not being written in the aftermath of a league defeat (it's being written on a sunny Tuesday), and I have to stress that Rangers FC are obligated to provide McCoist with a wage for as long as he lives thanks to his actions over the past couple of years.

McCoist was the man the support looked to when all was bleak. He was the one who coined the iconic 'we don't do walking away'; phrase and the man who, in giving his nod of approval to Charles Green, helped the club sell 38,500 season tickets to a severely wounded support. He quite rightly possesses a god-like status on this side of the city.

However, the time has come for McCoist to leave the position of manager of this football club.

When judging a manager, there are a few questions to be asked. What has he achieved? What has he been up against? Most crucially, will the team improve considerably under his continued stewardship?

Question number one. What has been achieved? Season 2011/12 saw 45 competitive games, and we won 60% of them. Season 2012/13, in the Third Division, has seen us win 70% of our 47 games. The past decade has seen an average of a win rate of around 65%, so not too much can be read from those figures alone.

Nine wins in knockout competition have been countered with seven defeats. That means, on average, Rangers will progress from the first round in a cup competition, and get knocked out in the next.

However, the Third Division title has been won by a comfortable twenty four point margin.

Question number two. What has he been up against?

McCoist was unfortunate in that he was the Rangers manager destined to deal with Craig Whyte. This meant he also dealt with administration, liquidation, the departure of most of his senior squad, demotion to the Third Division, at least three years out of Europe and a transfer embargo to boot.

However, he was still able to sign players in the summer of 2012, meaning that Rangers still pay the second highest wage bill in Scotland.

Question number three. The big one. WIll the team improve considerably under his continued stewardship?

This one is difficult to answer definitively. However, after much thought, I have to conclude that the answer is no for one simple reason: he cannot motivate his team.

In fairness, it would be near impossible for any manager to motivate this team under the same circumstances. The previous summer saw a necessity for McCoist to beg the majority of players to stay or sign. The players know that they were doing McCoist a favour in being here. With such a relationship dynamic in play, it would be very difficult for anyone to instill much discipline within his team.

This has led to a group of young players who clearly do not have the right attitude to be professional players, let alone Rangers players- a club who take great pride in the standard of behaviour expected from their staff. Ross Perry seeming to feign injury to force a substitution in a gutless 3-0 loss to Dundee United summed this attitude up.

Unfortunately, McCoist has been a victim of circumstance. Had he enjoyed a stable start to management at the club, he may well have been far more successful. However, there is a widespread consensus amongst the support that the club needs cleansed from top to bottom and, sadly, there can be no thorough cleanout if you do not include the manager. To move on from the horrors of last year, I believe we have to move on from McCoist.

This club requires a fresh start, with a fresh manager. Things are not improving under McCoist, and in the long term, it would be best for all concerned if a change was made at the end of the season. He will forever be remembered not only as a phenomenal goalscorer, but as a phenomenal man, who played a large part in ensuring the survival of Scotland's biggest club. He is the greatest Ranger.

However, for the club to evolve in the best way possible, so that the club is in the best possible shape for the return to the top flight, and then Europe, the winds of change surely must blow around Ibrox way.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=251937&st=0

This one is difficult to answer definitively. However, after much thought, I have to conclude that the answer is no for one simple reason: he cannot motivate his team.

Gordon Smith tells a great story about Jock Wallace. After his success the press kept asking how he motivated his players. He refused to answer until one time he said 'At the beginning of each season I speak to all the players and discover the ones that need motivated. Then I get rid of the bastards.'

I don't disagree but its become clear he will start next year as our manager. perhaps he will even deserve to do so. he may also be important in attracting new owners.

as such I see no value in anything other than getting behind him while demanding massive improvement. I hope he can deliver no excuses will be valid next season.

the biggest problem is were very much at the mercy of the transfer ban till January. I don't see our performances getting much better till that ends. We have seen quite a few youngsters coming through the ranks (some doing better than others) and its been a a big learning curve for them. I have been disappointed with some of the critisism aimed at them as they are learning their trade and will make mistakes. They wont become a seasoned pro over night. As fans we have to be more patient in that department. If anything we should be asking the questions of the high earners in the squad who for the most part have failed to deliver and let McCoist down. He cant go on the park and show them how to make a 2 yard pass. They are every bit as guilty as our manager in our short comings.

So till january it will be more of the same im afraid.

Guest cail

This is all about getting back to the top as quickly as possible and the higher we go the more McCoist's faults will rise to the top.

I loved the guy as a player as he played with the exuberance of the average fan on the sidelines but being Manager is a different animal altogether and from what i've witnessed for two to three years now he is just not good enough.

the biggest problem is were very much at the mercy of the transfer ban till January. I don't see our performances getting much better till that ends. We have seen quite a few youngsters coming through the ranks (some doing better than others) and its been a a big learning curve for them. I have been disappointed with some of the critisism aimed at them as they are learning their trade and will make mistakes. They wont become a seasoned pro over night. As fans we have to be more patient in that department. If anything we should be asking the questions of the high earners in the squad who for the most part have failed to deliver and let McCoist down. He cant go on the park and show them how to make a 2 yard pass. They are every bit as guilty as our manager in our short comings.

So till january it will be more of the same im afraid.

In essence, what your saying is "lets see what sort of player McCoist buys when he gets the chance"??? To me that is not the mark of a good manager.

A good manager should firstly be able to get the best out of what he has (good or bad) - McCoist certainly hasn't done that since the game against Motherwell early in the season. Performance levels have been VERY erratic.

A good manager should have an eye for fresh, young talent & know how best to nurture that talent in order to produce a quality player - Difficult to judge McCoist on this...plenty of youngster have come through, how many have shown marked improvement???

A good manager shouldn't need to over spend in order to get a good team - Motherwell & ICT being current examples....McCall & Butcher have had a fraction of the budget of McCoist, yet are still putting out good teams.

IMHO, the transfer embargo has really shown what kind of manager McCoist is/will be - he will try to buy in possibly known "quality" players, who will most likely produce mediocre results. Once the embargo is lifted I don't expect to see a great deal of youngsters coming through the ranks.

OP? Yawn. Get over it, he's here for another season. What shall we do? Hold up banners? Scream from the stands for his head? Or tap out the same blinkered, waste of time pieces that appear every couple of weeks.

Hang on a minute, big Jose Mourinho might be lookin for a job! Or even jimmy calderwood! Or the messiah himself.....BILLY DAVIES!!!!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!