Bring em back Ally

Boyd, Miller and Novo would really get Ibrox rocking again

LEE McCULLOCH watched in astonishment as Rangers flogged over 38,000 season tickets with the club on its knees.

A year on, he insists Gers fans will once again flock to Ibrox if Ally McCoist organises a Blues Brothers reunion.

Former Ibrox stars Kenny Miller, Kris Boyd and Stevie Smith have all had training stints at Murray Park in recent months.

Ibrox cult hero Nacho Novo this week revealed he would walk over broken glass to make a shock return.

Big Jig â?? promoting autobiography â??Simp-Lee The Bestâ?? â?? would love to see his old Ibrox pals reunited when Rangersâ?? transfer embargo is lifted.

He said: â??If Nachoâ??s name is being thrown around then, having played with him and had him as a pal, definitely, itâ??s a Yes for me.

â??Nacho is energetic, he gives the fans a lift and he is Rangers mad.

â??He has scored important goals here, and to get him back would be a real positive.

â??We have other guys who have been mentioned, like Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd. Stevie Smith has also been training with us.

â??People like that would be good to get back to help the young ones and myself as well.â?

Skipper McCulloch led from the front as Gers started off on the long road back to the top level this season.

He dreams of taking them all the way to the SPL and into Europe, but insists that is out of his control.

He said: â??I am 34 now and have two years left after this one. I want to be at Rangers and finish my career here.

â??What a club it is. I canâ??t see myself playing anywhere else.

â??But a week is a long time in football, never mind two years.

â??So we will see who the manager brings in and see what happens.

â??I would take pride in just playing my role getting us back to the top.

â??I am certainly not looking that far ahead. All I am concerned about is trying to get a game next season.

â??There are hopefully a lot of players arriving to help the younger players and myself.

â??There could be 11 players coming in. Who knows, I might not even be playing next year.â?

As he approaches the veteran stage, Jigâ??s best years are probably behind him. But he has vowed to take inspiration from ex-Gers team-mate Davie Weir, who was still playing at Ibrox in his 40s.

McCulloch added: â??Big Davie would still be playing now at 42 if he could. He is a great leader, great guy and a close pal and it was great to have him do the foreword for my book.

â??I just got a copy of the book yesterday, read what Davie said for the first time and started to bubble up. It was great coming from a guy like that.â?

Weir told how Gers-daft McCulloch phoned him up to eight times a day as his transfer from Wigan dragged on.

And he paid tribute to his palâ??s leadership qualities.

Weir said: â??Lee would let players know if they were not up to the standards required. But he would do it in a nice way, for the right reason, for the good of Rangers.â?

McCulloch won eight trophies at Ibrox before Gersâ?? downfall under Craig Whyte last year. When many team-mates opted to leave during Rangersâ?? darkest hour, Jig decided to stay and help the club rebuild.

And he insists lifting the Third Division title as skipper will mean more to him than any medal he won under Walter Smith.

McCulloch said: â??I donâ??t think anyone believes me, but this is my favourite trophy, as I have never been captain of Rangers before.

â??I have never lifted a trophy, so having gone through a hard season this is my favourite now I am wearing the armband.

â??When you are going to school and supporting a club, you wonder what it would be like to play for them.

â??Then you get that chance and also the opportunity to captain them. It is dream come true stuff. It is something I will never forget. Lifting the trophy is something my kids will get sick hearing me talk about when Iâ??m old, sitting in front of the fire smoking my pipe!â?

McCulloch spoke openly about his personal torment last summer when he did not even know if Gers would be able to start the season.

After a period of relative calm under Charles Green, Rangers have been mired in controversy again in recent weeks with the outspoken Yorkshiremanâ??s damaging exit.

But Jig is confident Gers ARE on the right track, and takes comfort from the powerful presence of legend Smith in the Ibrox boardroom.

He added: â??You have got to go with the people who have been through thick and thin with you.

â??That is the manager and Walter Smith, who is now on the board. The gaffer stood strong, along with Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant. So the trust values are definitely there with everyone at Rangers because of these people.

â??I donâ??t want to say anything bad against other people who are here. I have met most of them and I donâ??t have a problem with them.

â??You have to earn trust in life, in any environment or situation. I donâ??t have a problem trusting anyone at Rangers.

â??I stick by the ones who have stuck by me through the six or seven years Iâ??ve been here.

â??I hope the fans trust me too. They are looking at me, and I look to Walter and Ally.

â??They know I have Rangersâ?? best interests at heart and the management teamâ??s as well.

â??We have have all stuck together this season and got through it.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4911316/Bring-em-back-Ally.html#ixzz2S5TzEA7b

Stevie Smith? Feck me I forgot he even played for us. He wouldnt get near left back with Wallace currently there so no thanks.

Boyd - No thanks. Enough said about him.

Miller - Jury is out, I think he could do a job for us though.

Novo - Hand down yes.

Stevie Smith? Feck me I forgot he even played for us. He wouldnt get near left back with Wallace currently there so no thanks.

Boyd - No thanks. Enough said about him.

Miller - Jury is out, I think he could do a job for us though.

Novo - Hand down yes.

It's a tough call. I think all of them might struggle to deliver what we would expect of them. At least the good aspects of their game from their previous spells that is.

I think their experience would be invaluable in bringing through the youngsters, but the more of them we bring back the less game time the youngsters will see.

It depends on wages. If both are willing to play for buttons then I'd like to see Boyd and Novo back in September.

Guest JCS

Sorry Lee this is a backward step that I trust the club will not take! These guys did a good job for us when they were here (although some may disagree), but they have gone - and it should stay that way. I love wee Nacho, but I have no desire to see him back. As faor Smith, Miller and Boyd....thank you for your contributions in the past....hope you have a productive time elsewhere.

Lets start looking at some of the part time kids that ran us ragged during the past season. I suspect they would be a much more sensilble aquisitions/investments.

There's no doubt all three could do a job in SFL2 but after that I'm not so sure as they age further. They certainly wouldn't have any sell-on value.

Let's look forward - not back.

Forgot to quote:

Lets start looking at some of the part time kids that ran us ragged during the past season. I suspect they would be a much more sensilble aquisitions/investments.

I'd be interested to hear which ones you would like us to sign. Can you predict a couple that will get promoted and do better than ours in Div 2?

Edited by calscot

The only one I would definitely take back from that list is Novo - get him back in a player/coach type role. The guy ALWAYS gave 110% for the club & it clearly means a helluva lot to the wee man - as such I think he'd be an outstanding role model for some of the younger players.