Murray to be shown door as Rangers seek progress

By Richard Wilson

Rangers remain in a state of flux.

The directors are attempting to move the club forward, which includes a proper evaluation process of candidates for the position of chief executive, but it is an institution that remains between regimes. Charles Green, for instance, is still a director of Rangers International Football Club and is entitled to participate in board meetings, which he has done by conference call, but there is uneasiness among the rest of the directors that he can still exert an influence even though he will leave the club in three weeks.

A board meeting was held yesterday without Green's involvement and the rest of the directors are all of the same opinion that Malcolm Murray should step aside as chairman to allow the club to try to make progress.

Murray wanted to oust Green and Imran Ahmad, the commercial director, because he felt they were wrong for their positions, and that has now been achieved. He pushed for an independent examination into Craig Whyte's claims that he was involved with Green and Ahmad's Sevco 5088 company, which was in line to purchase Rangers Football Club plc in the event of a successful Company Voluntary Arrangement last summer. When RFCplc was liquidated, the business and assets of the club were bought by Sevco Scotland. However, Herald Sport understands Murray also wants to oust Brian Stockbridge, the finance director who joined the club at the same time as Green and Ahmad.

Stockbridge himself has always stressed his independence from Green and Ahmad. The independent examination is expected to end within two weeks, at which point Murray is likely to be formally asked to step down.

There is no longer an entrenched split on the board and Stockbridge has, on occasion, sided with Walter Smith and Ian Hart who, along with Murray, are considered by supporters as Rangers men on the board.

"I said from day one that I wasn't happy with Charles Green," said Alex Rae, the former Rangers midfielder. "I thought some of his stuff was unbecoming of someone in that position. Rangers is a club with class, the hierarchy have a responsibility. I don't think he sold the club properly. He was always looking for little soundbites but nothing was being put in place. Hopefully everything will come out in the wash but now we just need the club to make steps forward. The revelations that have come out lately have been hard to take for the fans."

Green's relationship with Ally McCoist was strained, and the former planned to sack McCoist's two assistants, Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant. The distrust reached back to the end of the transfer window last summer, when McCoist believed that he would be signing several additional players, only for Green to deliver David Templeton and say that business was done. Since then, Rangers have lost Neil Murray, the chief scout, Pip Yeates, the chief physio, and Tommy Wilson, the reserve team coach.

"Ally put a list of players he wanted in, but what happened was Carlos Bocanegra went and we brought in David Templeton on half the money," said Rae. "He sold him short. The club needs to put an infrastructure in place to give Ally a chance. Things like a proper scouting network."

Rangers can still rely upon the commitment of their fans and will need them to buy season tickets in similar numbers to last summer, when 38,000 funded the first stage of Rangers' rebuilding programme.

"If you don't run the club properly then you will be in trouble," said Henning Berg, who worked briefly under difficult owners at Blackburn Rovers. "Rangers is such a big club, with big history and fan base, that they will come back. It's just a question of time until they're back in the top league, competing to win it and to get back into Europe again. But you have to make sure that you run the club the right way It's not easy, it takes a lot of patience."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/murray-to-be-shown-door-as-rangers-seek-progress.21020461

Richard Wilson is someone who has reported fairly in the past.

'A board meeting was held yesterday without Green's involvement and the rest of the directors are all of the same opinion that Malcolm Murray should step aside as chairman to allow the club to try to make progress.'

Newspapers seem to have different stories.

As far as I know, RFC2012 plc has not been liquidated ... and will probably not be liquidated for some time to come. How am I to believe reporters with other facts if they cannot get the simplest stuff correct? No matter whether it is Wilson or Jackson or Traynor ...

Leggat:

LAST THROW OF THE DICE FOR CHAIRMAN MURRAY

EMBATTLED Rangers chairman Malcolm Murray has now effectively been voted off the board twice... but amazingly is still clinging to power.

However, I can reveal that if Murray had gone when the board moved against him for the first time, way back in February, Rangers would be £500,000 better off.

And the beleaguered Ibrox club would have avoided much of the infighting which has dogged it since the beginning of April. Murray has now reneged on the promise he made in February that he would resign at the end of the season.

That cool half a million quid is what Rangers will have to stump up for the forensic accountancy examination and legal probe into the claims by conman Craig Whyte that he still owns Rangers.

Now, I believe, the probe will reveal no evidence of any such Whyte claims when it is finished in a fortnight.

I understand that Malcolm Murray has others lined up who he would like to see sitting on the board in order that he can continue to survive as chairman, others who would slash manager Alastair McCoist’s budget and wield the axe with mass redundancies inside Ibrox.

Murray’s last desperate stand is now dependent on what may prove to be his last throw of the dice being a double six...from one dice.

For Murray has been clinging onto power in a desperately deluded and damaging attempt to dig some dirt on financial director Brian Stockbridge over a complicated deal involving £300,000 and investors.

The truth is that, despite his claims to the contrary, Malcolm Murray knew all about this totally legal, legitimate and above board payment at the time it was sanctioned and Stockbridge has the documentation to prove it.

Stockbridge can also prove that he was the man who sacked finance director Imran Ahmad, booting him out of the door at Ibrox without a penny compensation.

Certainly, former chief executive Charles Green, who remains a board member until the end of this month, did get a compensation pay-off.

But what he pocketed was £600,000 and nowhere near the wild claims of a £3M bonanza, as claimed by the Daily Record’s increasingly out of touch and erratic £90,000-a-year chief football writer, Keith Jackson.

All of the above is the truth about what is going on behind the scenes, as the men in the Blue Room manoeuvre for position in the bitter battle for the heart and soul of Rangers.

It is, if you like, the story behind the story.

I can also reveal that the battle inside the Blue Room has led to shifting allegiances. And as correctly reported in today’s Sun, Walter Smith is on the brink of quitting the board, frustrated at the infighting.

My belief is that when the situation regarding the increasingly controversial chairman is finally resolved, Smith will resign. Unless somebody can talk him into staying on, at least until the club’s Annual General Meeting, which must be held sometime before December.

There is also disquiet among the board members that Green can still attend board meetings, via a conference call link, and exert influence on the future of Rangers when he is due to leave in 23 days.

On top of that there is anger inside Ibrox at the steady stream of leaks from the boardroom to BBC Scotland’s vehemently anti Rangers and now banned from Ibrox senior football reporter, Chris McLaughlin.

My inside info is that as well as getting real time info from shamed Imran Ahmad, to whom it is passed onto by Green, McLaughlin has another source, one which is not inside the Blue Room.

However, it is not only that Green-Ahmad leak which will be plugged at the end of May. The other will be too.

Until then Rangers supporters should brace themselves for more blow-by-blow accounts, as BBC Scotland’s Chris McLaughlin and others in the anti Rangers cabal who are in the loop for the leaks which are aimed at damaging Rangers, Alex Thomson and Philmacgiollabhain, are force fed the black propaganda which is leading to the Rangers dirty washing being done in public.

Wonder who Leggat will support next?

By the sound of it, Leggat has rather close contacts to Rangers people at all strata of the club.

It would annoy me if Smith resigns anytime soon. He's the main Rangers-through-and-through man on the board, the one the supporters will believe. Then again, it depends on who will be the next chairman too. Maybe King gets the finger out ...

I don't understand why they are getting concerned that Green can still attend Board Meetings - he is a Director until the end of the month, so he is entitled to (whether we like it or not). Surely they would have realised that when they did the exit deal with him. I also don't understand what the issue is with redundancies and budget cutting - we need to live within our means. If they are necessary (and I hope they aren't) then they should be carried out sooner rather than later and as part of a properly managed programme, and not the rather panicy and ad hoc way Green seemed to be going about it.

Sounds like Legatt is critiscizing Malcolm Murray for doing his job.

As for budget cutting, we should be managing our finances better. We don't need to have the second highest wage bill in Scotland to win DIV 3, DIV 2 , DIV1 and we certainly don't need a £10m warchest to do it either.